Help please with the diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AnnieBee
    on

I am new. Just bought the book, not started the diet yet. I have done my shopping list and almost out the door … but, I am doing a nutrition course and have been alerted to a website called Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. I had never heard of this and so checked it out today. The doctors on this site recommend eliminating dairy products altogether to correct blood sugar levels and reverse diabetes. I am confused because the BSD includes plenty of cheeses, eggs and yoghurt. Comments appreciated from the experienced, please!

• posted by Lara
    on

Hi AnnieBee. I’ve been on BSD over 3 weeks now. I’m a T2D on insulin. I’m eating lots of cheese (mainly feta), eggs and yoghurt (every day!) on this program and I’ve reduced my insulin intake by over 80% in 3 weeks and my BS readings are way down, so it’s working for me! You will see lots of stories on the different forums from people with similar experiences. Good luck!

• posted by AnnieBee
    on

Hi Lara, thank you for your response. I know there is a lot of confusion about anything nutrition or diet related but since both opinions/recommendations in this regard are from healthcare professionals, I was more confused than ever ๐Ÿ™ i am not diabetic but my annual check up shows my blood sugar to be raised. I’m delighted to hear of your success, this is very encouraging. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Here I go!

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

AnnieBee as Lara has written, this BSD works when it is followed. As it is scientifically proven at the University of Newcastle (among other trials) we can be confident in following it. As you will see over time on the forums (and if you read previous forum posts) many nutritionists and medical people have been trained differently. Good news is that acceptance of the BSD is growing in the health community.

• posted by Frog
    on

There are always new diets and eating regimes coming out claiming to cure or reverse a variety of problems and ailments.
    – It’s the main reason that I have reiterated in several threads that you can’t expect NHS nurses/GPs to be fully cognisant and/or recommending BSD because the medical trials are still underway.

There’s probably enough success stories if you browse through threads here with people verifying it works – but if you feel more convinced by the “no dairy” diet, it’s up to you which one you try.

To see more about the research behind BSD, there was an ITV documentary recently http://www.itv.com/hub/tonight/1a2803a1048
    or of course the more in depth work form Newcastle University, where trials are taking place, due to complete in 2018
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

• posted by luxie
    on

I just checked out your “Physicians Committee” and since they advocate a vegan diet it is not surprising that they suggest you avoid dairy.
    In the Wikipedia article it is stated that “The National Council Against Health Fraud has criticized PCRM as being “a propaganda machine” and the American Medical Association has called PCRM a “pseudo-physicians group” promoting possibly dangerous nutritional advice”. If so, then you can probably safely ignore most of what the “Physicians Committee “says.

• posted by AnnieBee
    on

Thank you for your response and also checking further the Physicians Committee! Well, I have done my shopping for the week and have bought myself cheese and yoghurt and I’m hitting the ground running! Green for Go ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by AnnieBee
    on

Thanks Frog for your post and the links. Will check them out. Trying to really get into this and be committed ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.