Help !! Morning fasting level still high

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by smith
    on

Good morning all
    Recent diagnosis 20th December- Christmas was a challenge but I have managed to loose 9lbs – wasn’t the perfect 800 diet but did well ! Have only just started testing blood sugars (today) and would have expected a lower reading that 7.5 by now but I don’t know anything at the mo ! Would really appreciate advice and hear other people’s experiences !
    Thank you xxx

• posted by VictoriaM
    on

Hi, I’m not an expert, there are people on here with a lot more experience than me. I’ve been Type 2 diagnosed for 3 years but I’ve only been doing BSD since the beginning of December, and then restarted after a Christmas blip.

Both times it took several (3 to 6) days of 20 carbs to get my fasting blood sugar down under 6. You mentioned that you did 800 but not whether you were doing very low carbs.

Stick to it, it will work and is great when it does.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi smith. Firstly you dont say what your fasting BG was before or when you were diagnosed. I assume you mean first thing in the morning before food. Has it gone down at all. Are you following the full 800 Fast with no bad carbs. Assuming you are doing everything right you might want to consider the Dawn Phenomenon which means that, because you are ‘fasting’ or not eating very much your body thinks it is being starved and during the sleeping hours the liver pumps some glucose into your blood stream so you dont wake up dead (my little joke). Anyway, to combat this you can tell your body you are not starving by having a small BDS friendly snack before you go to be – around 10pm is good. This can be a piece of cheese, a slice of chicken or ham or a small natural yoghurt with a few berries.

Let us know what your level were and are and how you get on. How did your doctor respond to your request. Good luck.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Losing 9lb over Christmas is brilliant! Well done.

Sorry, I can’t help with the sugar levels – I’m lucky enough not to be diabetic.

• posted by Mrs getting there
    on

Hi Smith, I’ve just recently posted a similar query myself. My fasting blood sugars are ranging from 7.2 to 8.7 . This mornings was 8.7but then literally ‘re testing after no more than 30 minutes after going downstairs and emptying the dishwasher and feeding the children it had dropped to 6.7. I had a little cheese and some but at around 10 as advised by fellow posters but I’m not sure it helped, early days still mind. My post meal bloods are within normal range which is fantastic so maybe I’m just expecting everything to improve quicker than it can and being too impatient. Let me know if you have any tips or advice. My husband said Apple cider
    would help????? Haven’t gone there yet! Thanks M.G.T

• posted by smith
    on

Hi sorry for late response – yes doing 30g carbs per day at the moment any deviation from that seems to see the sugars spike ! I am new too the daily blood testing so any advice is more than welcome there managed to get the blood sugars down to between 5.2 – 5.7 for a whole week then it was around the 6s –
    Just going to have to keep a really close eye on the food !

• posted by smith
    on

Hi suns shine girl – I have no idea what my blood sugars were in the morning before being diagnosed- the day I was diagnosed was the day I started – so didn’t get my BG machine until the following Monday so my first ever am fasting BG was 7.6 – thanks for the tips late night snack ! I love these forums so reassuring to have people with the knowledge and experience thanks for taking the time to reply !

• posted by smith
    on

Thanks for that ! Yes haven’t weighed myself for a while but know I have lost more can feel it !👍

• posted by smith
    on

Hi Mrs Getting there ! Yes I am the same as you I am a baby diabetic as it were so only just getting my head around it all – I just keep revisiting the book asking questions on here I have been doing it down for just over three weeks the week I bought the carbs below 30g I was under 6 all week so that is clearly the key for me ! But I will keep you posted if re getting those morning BG down ! Don’t know about the apple vinegar there are a lot of claims for it – the one good thing about testing your BGs so regularly is that you know straight away whether it has worked or not !! Keep me posted with how you are doing x

Please log in or register to post a reply.