Hello. New starter

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pip1012
    on

Hi everyone. I’m new here so I hope I’m posting in the right place. Apologies if not. I read the whole book yesterday after someone recommending it and I found it so exciting. I really think this is something I can do. I’m in the right frame of mind for this. I guess I’ve reached my rock bottom. Now I’m absolutely determined to do something. I am a few stone overweight and it affects every single aspect of my life. I hate it. I want my health and confidence back. Luckily, when I put my mind to it I do tend to lose weight quite quickly. The thing is I am the world’s worst cook so I could do with some really easy recipe help that don’t involve too many weird ingredients. I’m also a bit unsure of what we’re allowed to drink. Is milk a no-no? Water wise….are sugar free flavoured waters ok? Etc etc. Many thanks and a big hello to everyone 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Welcome to the forum.

We tend to organise ourselves with a couple of common threads, there is a weekly challenge group, where people talk about their aims for the following week and give each other support and a monthly thread. – If you look under latest posts you will find both.

In both of the threads you will find a mixture of people from newcomers to people who have been following thie Way of Eating for some time and stay around to put out a helping hand to newcomers just as others offered them a helping hand when they were starting out.

To answer your questions. – Personally I didn’t follow the recipes in the book because I don’t eat meat. – I started out by cutting out the major sources of carbs, bread, pasta, rice, chocolate, pizza, sugar. – Then after a time I added using fat secret to record everything I ate and drank and set myself targets on the level of carbs, and calories. – There are plenty of other places with recipes online just search for keto recipes and you will find them.

Dr MM;s book is focused on a short sharp period of keeping calories and carbs low to kick off weight loss. – Those of us with a lot of weight to discard have an advantage. – We then are in a position after a few weeks of following this Way of Eating to need to work out for ourselves a way forward. – – I would recommend reading both Why we get fat and what to do about it, and the work of Dr Bikman. (Start by looking at the Take a Look at this thread starting from January 2018 onwards, he also has just published a book which I intend to buy as soon as its available in the UK.) There is a growing body of research into the importance of keeping carbs low so that our bodies can access our fat stores. – Some of us set a target of 50g of carbs per day,, others set a target of 20g. You are unlikely to be able to stick to the target levels of carbs and drink milk. – With regard to sugar free waters, if you mean soda water, then no problem. If you mean flavoured water, then our bodies are designed to keep the level of sugar in our blood at 2 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in the 4.5 litres of blood that is in the average amount of blood in an adult. – There is research that anything which tastes sweet generates an insulin response as part of that limit.

• posted by Pip1012
    on

Thanks for the info. Is the easiest way to look at it to keep carbs under 50g or 20g a day and calories 800 a day and have no sugar?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Some people find it easiest to have someone else set their menu plans for them. Some people find it easier to instead work on the carb and calorie intake. In the long run, you are going to have to keep your carb intake down to maintain the weight discard. its just how you choose to learn a different way of eating.

Please log in or register to post a reply.