Have people seen a reduction in cholesterol?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lowenna
    on

Hi I started the diet yesterday so early days and I feel very hungry!

I am not diabetic but I am about a stone and a half over weight and have high cholesterol. Have people found their cholesterol level drops?

Even when I was my ideal weight of 8st 5lbs I had high cholesterol where as my brother who is obese has low cholesterol. This annoys the girls he works with. They are all on low fat diets and all have high cholesterol.

When I looked at the difference between our diets I noted that he prefers savoury things. So although he ate a lot of fat and meals we all rolled our eyes at, he doesn’t eat much sugar. No sugar in drinks, not a real pudding fan etc.

I tried to limit my intake of fat but I live cake and cappuccinos and chocolate. I wonder if that was the real difference

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Lowenna
    Everyone seems to be on holiday…

I am not that concerned with cholesterol but was with a blood sugar spike after illness. The BSD 8-week plan, which involved reducing carbs and eating plenty of veg, pulses, healthy fat, along with meat and fish, worked for me and my glucose and cholesterol levels are [back to] normal. I choose to continue with more sensible eating and drinking and have read and watched much in support of the Mosley approach. There is however much disagreement within the medical and nutrition community, with older ideas still dominant at official level. If you haven’t read the BSD 8-week book you should and/or watch the original Mosley documentary:
    https://vimeo.com/103656060

A basic understanding of the science is one motivation for following through on a change of diet/lifestyle.
    In short, excess sugar is the problem not fat. If it is not used within a short space of time after eating it is converted to fat for the body to store. Some of it is obvious and some less so – internal fat interferes with proper organ function, including production of insulin, thus blood sugar can rise and cause lots of problems. If you limit your carbohydrate intake, whilst eating harder to digest protein and healthy fat, then you make your body use stored fat as an energy source instead, hence potential for significant weight loss. It is a form of calorie restriction and/or fasting. We eat too frequently and too much as well as the wrong balance of food and drink.

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Can you test your Cholesterol at home? Cholesterol is quite a complex issue as it is much more than just good cholesterol HDL and bad cholesterol LDL. It also includes triglycerides and LDL can also be subdivided into VLDL and benign LDL particles, etc.

Good diet can definitely reduce your cholesterol, but the widely accepted theory that eating ‘fatty’ foods increase your cholesterol is no longer accepted by a lot of experts, they blame high cholesterol on too much carbohydrates, especially the carbohydrates in a lot of processed foodstuffs.

Please log in or register to post a reply.