Goodbye and thanks for all the fish (recipes)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fredforest
    on

I was reminded by an article on the Daily Mail on-line website that I hadn’t posted on here for a few weeks.

I finished by 8 weeks (plus a couple for luck) some weeks back and had reached my target weight. My waist line is now back to what it was 40 years ago and my neck and chest sizes have also shrunk back. My shoe sizes have stayed the same 🙂

The better news is that I am now in the normal range for HBa1c. Not even in the pre-diabetic. It shocked my diabetes nurse who, when I told her I was doing the diet, said it was a waste of time and a fad. My GP is going to be even more surprised, as when I went to ask her for an out of cycle blood test, told me that these things are fads and not to expect a change. I am beginning to think that meds and diabetes treatments must be an earner for GPs.

No real change in my diet. I aim for 1200 calories at the moment. Still no sugar, starch, carbs, but I did have my first beer since January 28th this weekend, and very pleasant it was too.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thanks Fredforest for a great inspiring post! Congratulations on achieving your target weight and losing the inches you wanted to, and even more congratulations for proving your point to your Diabetic nurse, with the GP now on the verge of reading for herself the effects of the Newcastle trial, inspired by your example.

I can’t really understand what’s so good and healthy about potatoes, rice, pasta, bread that people think you’ll grossly affect your health by abstaining from them for a few weeks? There are of course diet fads, but I think eating good, low GL carbs, isn’t in the same league as, say, a ‘cabbage soup’ diet, is it?

I’ve given up sugar in drinks (and am avoiding it in food via the BSD), and am very proud of myself for finally doing it after finding out just how many useless calories it consumed. Coffee is an interesting new taste! I was drinking the sugar before.

Ongoing good luck to you.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Love it Fredforest!! Congratulations!

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Nice one Fred – post again when you hear what the Doc says – and have fun with him, draw it out a bit, enjoy…

• posted by Fredforest
    on

Back last this week for my normal check up. Hba1c unchanged.

I have been asked to be a champion for the surgery. Chuffed

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Oh congratulations!!!

OH and I went for his review today and dr has taken him off all Metformin.

However it was me who kept saying how great it was – she did agree but only told him not to lose any more weight. He’s not intending to, but instead of feeling thoroughly congratulated, he felt as if he’d done something wrong.

So great that you have had such acknowledgement! Go for it! 🙂

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Well done IGORs hub! AndFredof course! X
    Flipping heck,these medics dont seem to like us helping ourselves do they! What more do they need to make them happy than their patients being proactive and getting wonderful test results?!
    Isnt that what theyre aiming for??
    I guess the drug companies must be more interested in keeping folk on medicines?
    Never mind OH..you know and we know you are a champ! Seems to me the staff at yr surgery are more into ego than anything else! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• posted by 1960smp
    on

How encouraging Fred and Igors OH …well done on great results!!

• posted by BSD
    on

Fredforest & Igorasuasal – Yep having the same sort of experience as you will the NHS experts.

Well said Yowzer49 my thoughts as well. I can’t even get them to remove it from my records, unless I jump through hoops. My doctor said he has only ever seen 2 people reverse theirs and I was a very rare case (but obviously doesn’t believe it). Well maybe its because nobody is giving us the right information to help our selves, just take the pills!!

• posted by Verano
    on

Maybe I’m being cynical but GP’s used to get paid a bonus if they kept their diabetic patients blood sugar levels below 7. Can this be part of the reason they don’t want to lose us!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.