Going on holiday

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hello, I am new to this, just one week in. I really want to give the BSD a go. In 4 weeks time we are going away for a few days, any advice on how to cope, whilst staying at a hotel and eating out?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Elle-Mae, I see you are on the weekly thread. Ask your question there or do a search in the search engine at the top of the page. The only thing I can say is to not eat the carbs, ask for extra veg or salad and watch the alcohol. Not rocket science really and maybe someone else can give you some tips. As a diabetic I sometimes say I cant eat carbs but that has backfired. Like the time I ordered beef bourginone and said no chip so they brought them on a side plate in case I changed my mind – nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Yes the waitress actually said that. Didnt realise it was the temptation. Fortunately we were with a group of people and I just pushed the chips to the other end of the table and they were gone in seconds.

You have been diagnosed as T2 so you just have to remember this is not a vanity thing and you need to get that diagnosis reversed or at least improved in the first instance. You can tell a white lie and say you have a medical problem and cannot eat the carbs and it really is the truth. See you on other posts.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Ty for your reply sunshine-girl. Luckily I don’t drink alcohol so that won’t be a problem. 😂 I intend to try to be as good as possible 🤞. Just kinda concerned that the menus won’t have suitable choices.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I have taken to saying “I’m low-carbing for medical reasons, it’s amazing what dodgy blood test results will do” if I feel the need to justify myself. Although it’s no one’s business, it sounds less like being a fussy eater or fad dieter, and it’s true.
    What I have sometimes done when eating out (before the pandemic) is order a starter and a side salad as a main course, you are often able to get a protein and salad that way and avoid the carbs, or ask for salad/veg instead of the inevitable chips.

• posted by Verano
    on

Elle-Mae I was away at the beginning of June and I must admit I really don’t find eating out/in hotels a problem anymore. I usually look down the menu and see what vegetables they are serving with other meals so I know what’s available. I then ask for no potatoes or rice etc and either ask for more of the vegetables that come with my meal or the others that are on the menu with other meals. It really isn’t an issue anymore. It was more difficult 5 years ago when I started low carbing but now it’s really accepted. Nobody bats an eyelid anymore.
    As S-g says …. this isn’t a vanity thing for those of us diagnosed with T2 . Good luck and enjoy!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Be careful not to over play it as if they think you are allergic they can get very worried and dont let you eat anything ‘just in case’. I was once on a cruise and it was our 25th wedding anniversary and I was going to allow myself a treat of pudding that came with ice cream. When it arrived it had a splodge of fake cream – the stuff that comes in cans. Everyone else got ice cream so I complained. Because I said I didnt eat carbs they had looked at my passenger info and seen I was diabetic (you have to declare it in case of illness) and decided they were going to police my diet. Didnt seem to matter that they had served me a pudding made with sugar but I wasnt allowed ice cream. As you can imagine I made a bit of a fuss about that and told them that they were okay with me eating chemical cream and they were not my doctors.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Many thanks all for the advice.

Please log in or register to post a reply.