Giving up the things you like

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by The other me
    on

I started the BSD two weeks ago. I don’t miss potatoes, paste, rice ,bread, cakes, biscuits, chocolate, cereal and anything in a pastry. I’ve found how much nicer fresh veg and some fruits are. My fav is veg chilli. What’s yours and are you struggling?

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi The Other Me.

I like chilli too. Lots of flavour and it’s filling. I like it with a leafy salad to fill up the plate. Actually prefer that to rice, but I was never a huge fan of white rice. I just had it because that’s what you ate with chilli, curry or stir fries. Glad to have got out of that habit.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you mean chilli peppers (red peppers) you are okay to eat them. I tend to eat most of what I would before the diet I just miss out the carbs and add extra veg.

• posted by Lily
    on

Once I’m in the zone I don’t miss any of the sugary stuff and I wonder how I could ever have craved it. Unfortunately I’ve learned the hard way that the moment you cave in to a biscuit or cake the cravings come back! Sugar begets sugar! So it’s best not to go there if you can help it.

I’ve found it helps to invent low carb versions of all my favourite dishes too. I make a mean low carb pizza for around 4g carb using ground almonds and an egg for the base and am satisfied with a much smaller amount than I’d have if it was the ordinary version. I make cottage pie using mashed butternut squash or celeriac mash on top of the minced beef. I love bolognese and chilli but have it with finely shredded cabbage instead of pasta/rice.

When I’m in the zone I wonder how on earth I ever wind up back on carbs…. but know from experience that sometimes I literally self harm with sugary cr@p when stressed, angry or tired. So planning ahead is key for me to so that I’ve always got the right ingredients in the fridge and cupboards to knock myself up low carb comfort food if I need to.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Sunshine-girl, I meant the cooked dish, with kidney beans. I use the recipe from the BSD book, so I should be OK with that.

I’ve found I’m no longer tempted by some of the high carb things I used to eat. Most biscuits and shop bought cakes now seem bland and overly sweet. The same goes for some convenience foods. It doesn’t apply to everything, but my tastes have definitely changed.

Lily, great idea to keep comfort food ingredients at the ready. Better to have a low carb treat than fall off the wagon.

on

Squidge the poster asked about the ‘veg chilli’ so not sure if they meant the meal of the actual vegetable.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Ah – perhaps The other me means chillies are their favourite vegetable? Reading it again, I think so.
    I suppose my favourite is onions, as I use them in so many meals. And tomatoes and mushrooms.

• posted by The other me
    on

How long have you been on BSD (or form of)?

on

Me, just over 4 years but not permanently on the weight loss plan. As I diabetic I use it to control my blood glucose and by not eating carbs I have remained fit and well – actually better than I ever was before. The diet is meant as a 12 week plan (according to Admin) and you should not follow it strictly for longer than that. Lots of people go on and off by doing it strict then going into some sort of maintenance plan and coming back to the full diet when they need to.

• posted by The other me
    on

Don’t forget the 800 cal diet is short term. You can plan a 1200 cal day and eat very well. I was shocked to learn how much sugar is in a ripe banana!
    Sugar is the key but while you cut this out you can increase your weight loss by exercise. Simple power walk for an hour and if you have an outside step do a series of step ups. Really simple stuff. I’m lucky as all my family are on with the low card diet so we’re all eating right and eating less. The test is long term. As our low carb is going to span one year (Florida next August). I plan to lose 4st.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I started in October 2017. Most of the time keeping carbs low, I and vary cal intake depending on my aims (and mood) at the time.

• posted by freester
    on

I’ve said previously rather than miss the stuff I choose not to eat enjoy what I am allowed and choose to eat.

Quite honestly I don’t miss bread, potato, pasta and white rice. There’s enough stuff on this WoE that I love. A little bit of cheese, gorgeous yoghurt fruit and nuts for breakfast. The low carb occasional treats like the nut flap jacks and occasional small square of dark chocolate. Gorgeous meat and fish recipes and celeriac chips!

• posted by Squidge
    on

I agree, Freester that it’s better to think of all the low carb things we can eat, rather than focus on what we can’t. I’m gradually training myself not to think of bread, cakes etc as food at all. They’re things other people have – just as they make other lifestyle choices I don’t. Just as I might occasionally watch sport if I was with someone who really wanted to, I might sometimes taste carby items in particular situations, but they’re no longer a normal part of my life.

• posted by The other me
    on

Agree, it’s about the balance. Over long term the odd carb inclusion say a birthday or night out but I’m sure you can navigate through with good choices that are enjoyable. At present week 3 I’m doing fine. Had my first ‘ are you losing weight’ at work and I’ve gone one notch up on my belt. So I’m moving in the right direction. I hope you all are also!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Gosh, it’s great that people can see the difference already!
    My weight loss is very modest, but I’m going in the right direction and I do feel better for having got my eating back under control.

Please log in or register to post a reply.