Getting SERIOUS in September , beginning 20th September 2022

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well, September is galloping away and we have about 10 days until the end of the month .There is still time to make it count , whether you need a reboot or just a kick up the b** !
    Put whatever didn’t quite go to plan behind you, move on and look forward.

If you are just starting out, welcome !

Wishing you a good week. All the best to SunnyB on her travels !

I’m just discovering podcasts ( a bit slow I know) and I find them interesting and motivating as a change from my books .It is always good to be reminded of the benefits of this way of eating, keeping insulin low and avoiding junky carbage.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hubby still has another full week of physio at least so I will be visiting daily and hopefully he can get out for the weekend as we did this weekend . He is progressing well but always tries to do too much !

I will continue with my ADF routine until the end of the month and see how I have got on .

SG I know you need to weigh daily but don’t worry about any downward numbers, as you say it all balances out over all . You are doing brilliantly xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all Iโ€™m still here in the background x

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hello Wendy – and SG, SunnyB, Ruby, Tulip. Verano, Flora, Hopeful, and everyone else who is keeping on and writing delightful posts.๐ŸŒผ
    It’s been a while since I posted, but I read the threads all the time. We are coming out of a wet and cold (for Melbourne) winter and I was just not at all motivated during that time. Some weight has crept on (cheese, crackers, toast, more cheese) and last summer’s clothes are all too tight. So I have a couple of months to get myself back into them!
    I restarted yesterday and plan to do F800 for 6-8 weeks. I definitely need to be low carb to shift pounds – just dropping calories isn’t so effective for me.
    Yesterday was grilled lamb for dinner with veggies, and yoghurt and berries for afters as I watch the funeral. It was on in the evening here and I watch until after midnight.
    Wendy – it was so good to read about your family reunion that finally happened. You waited a long time for that. And I hope hubby is recovering well.
    I will keep myself on track by posting more regularly.
    Merry

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi Wendy, hi all.

Funeral was very moving indeed.

I have eaten many, many carby things….but today is a new day.

Wendy I’ve taken note of the podcast u mentioned… I’m not very good at listening to podcasts… but they are so handy, for work stuff too……

Love to all
    T xx

• posted by RubyG
    on

How did it get to 20th Sep!!!!!!!!!!!
    So, 3 weeks in and I have not got serious ๐Ÿ™
    But I’m still here, and will just have to take it one meal at a time.
    The long weekend did involve a few carbs, mainly some new potatoes found growing in the tubs I cleared out and some fruit which the garden has provided.
    Today is an OK day as planned……………no breakfast, courgette soup for lunch and chicken curry for supper (already made), so barring the crap life has been throwing at me recently I may be starting to get back on track.
    Travelling for work the next 2 days, Scandi food so should be possible to avoid carbs (pastries and bread) and survive on raw meat and fish ๐Ÿ™‚ and stay away from the smorrebrod.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone. had a fairly good week but didnt make the 1lb I aimed for. Same old story, reached around 2.5lb loss by Saturday then blew it. Yes you can put on 2 lbs in a couple of days because the loss is not real and consolidated. Anyway, I should know better and not have treats once a week but just now and then. Still half a pound is better than nothing and it will continue for the rest of the week and definitely now weekend off.

More importantly I am back down to 8 units of insulin – it is hardly worth putting the needle in (sorry if your squeamish). Want to keep it as good as that until my next check up just before Christmas. Any diabetics out there who know of a medication I could be put on. I am on 90mg of glycazide daily and cant stomach Metformin. I am hoping in the 17 years since going onto insulin there have been some advances in oral meds.

Have a great week.

on

Hi all, shouldnt have worried too much about not reaching one pound as today I have made it to just under 2lbs for the week, just a day late ๐Ÿ™‚

RubyG, enjoy your Scandi meals, Im not keen on fish, raw or cooked but if you enjoy it you are in the perfect place.

Come on Tulip, one day at a time and ignore what has gone before.

Merry, I have a friend who has just gone to Oz and was surprised at how cold and wet it is. I remember when I first moved there ($10 tourist back in the 70’s) we arrived in February so just into your Spring and people thought we were crazy to be going to the beach.

Will be swimming again today so that helps with the calories plus I had a 17hr fast. I couldnt sleep most of the night so staying in bed until 10.30 and that meant it was a bit late for breakfast so I had my breakfast at lunchtime with an added Ryvita and duck pate.

Have a great week. Live is getting back to normal in so many ways so fingers crossed for no more things coming along to upset it.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I’m still hanging in there. Reading but not posting. I put on 6lb with our week away and the wedding we attended ๐Ÿ˜ณ 2 weeks ago, but have lost 5lbs of it so will keep on persevering. It’s harder as I keep getting really hungry lol.
    Hope hubby’s recovery is going well Wendy, my fiance is waiting on a new hip, they said he wasn’t bad enough last time, but he really suffering now, he had a new ex ray a little while ago and we are waiting to hear now.
    S-G fantastic results go girl ๐Ÿ˜
    Wb Merry.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Hi all
    It was a national public holiday here for the Queen. And tomorrow is an annual public holiday in my State to celebrate this weekendโ€™s football finals (Australian Rules – not soccer) – so a 4 day weekend. It is also school holidays so quiet a few people have gone away. It was a beautiful day and sat out in some sunshine sharing a cuppa with a friend.
    Iโ€™ve been on track my first 4 days back – apart from getting sidetracked by some peanuts this afternoon! But still around 30g carbs, the other days have been 20g.
    Iโ€™ve a friend coming for lunch tomorrow and am planning a Vietnamese style salad with shredded poached chicken. And no wine!
    Good going Ellie-Mae to lose those pesky pounds so quickly.
    S-G the weather will vary widely across the country as itโ€™s so vast. But in Melb, Sydney and Adelaide we do get cold days through winter – and this year has been particularly wet. December to March is the hottest, with February definitely being beach weather, and also bush fire weather. I hope this years rains have lessened the chance of major fires this summer.
    I hope the Scandi fare is going well Ruby.
    And Tulip – KOKO on your new day. ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ‹๏ธโ€โ™‚๏ธ

on

Still here and doing okay.

Merry my friend is in Sydney right now and I used to live in Sydney. We here in France and we are just approaching Autumn and the swimming season will be coming to an end but not today. It is still 27 degrees today but after that we are due for rain and temps around 20.

Elle-Mae, hope your finance is ready for his hip replacement. My sil had a private appt and told he has the wrong shaped hip bones to have a Birmingham op – I think that is bone shaving – and he is too young for a hip replacement as at 42 he would need a new one in 20 years. They say they cant do it twice but I am sure I have seen it done when I was nursing and that was 40 years ago. Anyway, it is a choice of spending the next 20 years in pain as a young man or going for it and hoping there will be something new in 20 years.

I am hoping my doctor can come up with an alternative to insulin and not put me back on Metformin. I am now on the Diabetes UK site and going to put it to the forum members for their advice and experience.

Nearly the weekend. Enjoy.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

S-G my fiance was also told at a private app about 2 years ago that he was too young and not bad enough. Now he has seen the NHS consultant from the referral done at the same time, had the x-ray probably about a month ago now, just waiting on hearing if he is considered bad enough now. His job involves him standing for 12 hours a day on 2 days a week 8 hours on the other days and he comes home in agony, so don’t know how he is going to cope with waiting for x amount of years. Even if he is bad enough now unless he goes private, how long will the waiting list be?
    I’m sure I read something on the diabetes UK site about an alternative treatment this morning. I will go look for it now.

on

Thanks Elle. I know there is a weekly injection called Byetta or Lypettia but my doctor wont give me that as it has not been out for 10 years yet so he doesnt quite trust it. Also it is for severely obese people as the weight loss can be dramatic – I wish :):)

Anyway I dont want an injectable so I will still ask the question but if you find the thread let me know.

on

Hi all, well I went on the Diabetes UK site and it really did my head in. I gave a bit of background about 17 years diabetic, 16 years on insulin, 6 years ago found this diet and numbers going down (slowly) but now using only 8 units of insulin and dont want to inject any more. My questions was – in the 16 years since I went onto insulin have their been any improvements in oral meds so they dont cause stomach problems.

Well I have had answers about how I dont know how to measure the difference between mmol/mol and mmol/ml or Dl or whatever blah blah blah – and I was assured he was a scientist. I have been told I might not be T2 but have LADA, I have been told my pen should be able to go lower than 8 units – yes I know but is it worth the pain. I had to go back on and say STOP – here is my question again. Anyway, I had a couple of people come up with some interesting suggestions for medications in the Flozin family which I have looked at. I just need to have some knowledge about what is available before I have ‘that’ chat with my doctor. He might say I am better off staying on insulin even at a very small dose and that is okay. I just want to know what my options are. Plus I have to do it all in French so need time to look at what I am going to say and hopefully, understand what he says to me.

Had a small treat last night of a couple of vodka tonics to no bad effect this morning. Although I am aware that alcohol can cause dehydration and you weigh less and when the fluids return your weight can go up. Fingers crossed for my weigh in on Tuesday.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    Sorry I can’t help with the diabetes medication, SG (apart from the French if need be ?) You are like a dog with a bone ( well, you know what I mean !!) and you will be well armed with info by the time you see your doc . Have you got a friendly pharmacist who could talk to you about medication before your appointment? They are always very knowledgeable .

I had a bit of a wobbly over the weekend .I don’t know what started me off ( can hardly blame time of the month ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) I think I do know … I added a bit of fruit compote to my Greek yoghurt and it set off the sugar monsters which I tried to control with a handful of nuts….and more nuts .It just shows that sugar is still a fatal attraction for me and I have to be very careful.
    I fought to do my fast yesterday especially because hubby was home for the weekend but I managed it and I am ( hopefully) back on track today .
    Hubby is still in the physio clinic and will hopefully be discharged sometime this week as that will make 3 weeks in there.His physio programme is ongoing though and it is still pretty painful at times.

I will set up the new thread in a while xx

on

Hey Wendy that has gone quickly or has it not seemed like that for you.

I do have a friendly pharmacist but he also doesn’t speak English. I can manage perfectly well in French but I would have to go through all my history, my numbers etc and my doctor already knows all that. Also, when I go pick up my meds I get questioned when I say I don’t want the insulin because I am only using 7 units – yes 7 units tonight – they can’t advise me as they know nothing about me except my current meds. As an example, I am going for an angiogram at the end of November and a full cardiac consultation in January. Whatever happens at these might change my other meds (BP, Cholesterol etc) and my doctor is fully aware of this and it might influence his treatments.

For anyone in the know, my fasting BG this morning was down to 51 mg/dl or 2.7 mmol/L, so dangerously low which is why I am dropping down to 7 units tonight. Someone even suggested I eat more. Doh, so the doctor tells me to lose weight and I am expected to eat more. I always compare it to an alcoholic who gets withdrawal and they are told to drink more. Pointless. No, I will just keep reducing the insulin.

Did my usual weekend treat thing and it is showing on the scales. I really must stop faffing around now and get serious. I will probably be doing sober October so wont have any excuse to have a Saturday night drink.

Another week, so just keep on keeping on…

• posted by RubyG
    on

Good luck with the quest to find a new oral medication S-G, the industry must have moved on in 16 years! Although most of the UK advice is still to eat carbs at every meal, so maybe not.

The Scandi food was mostly awesome, good breakfast of far too many calories (portion of yoghurt and berries followed by herring, cream cheese and salad-y vegetables and then topped off with scrambled egg and bacon!) but low carbs. Lunch was a buffet, so cured meats and salads, ignored the cake. Supper was supposed to be when I got home, but………….a 3 hour delay of my flight led to 2 smorrebrod at the airport (rye bread so could have been worse).

I have been slightly more mindful about food the past couple of days, and will weigh at the end of the week.

on

Someone on the diabetes site suggested SLGT2 inhibitors. They all end with flozin i.e. canagliflozin, dopagliflozin etc – 4 in total so might be an option.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Go for it SG !

Hi Ruby G ! Don’t worry, it will all balance out now you are back in the zone !

New thread coming up !

Please log in or register to post a reply.