Getting married in 8 weeks!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by samjocky2017
    on

Hi. Am getting married in 8 weeks (eek)! and need to lose more than a few pounds. Am going to do the 8 week 800 calorie BSD starting on Monday 27th March. Have read the success stories but would like to hear of any wobbles so that if I experience any of them I can be reassured that it’s normal and to carry on going. Thanks.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

First of all most people lose a huge amount in the first week, but that includes a lot of water. I lost over half a stone. After that about a couple of pounds a week seems typical, but be warned it isn’t linear and all sorts of things can see you retaining water again, even sometimes showing a weight increase, so it is important to track your measurements as well if you want to be reassured that it is still working. Secondly everyone is different, you can only lose your own weight so looking at some of the amazing amounts lost and then being disappointed when you lose less without taking account of the context is counterproductive. Stress is one of the things that can cause water retention so try to relax and enjoy it ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by happynewme
    on

Hi. I’m also going to start BSD on Mon 27 March. I read the book a fortnight ago and I made several attempts to start it but I keep falling off the wagon. I was attempting to do a more relaxed version, without calorie counting but sticking to general principles. I’ve read that has worked for some people but I’ve fallen off the wagon in spectacular fashion. Work has been really stressful and I’ve sought solace in cakes, muffins and too much wine. I’m determined to do this properly. I think I was being too half hearted about it. Calorie counting here I come. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi happynewme

I started this way of eating 28th of November at 12st 3lbs. I’ve done the med plan with no counting. I don’t have Blood sugar issues so felt this was better for me personally. I’ve toyed with the 800 but decided against it for me. I’m now delighted to say I am 10st 10lbs. This week I’ve had a sudden movement of 2 lbs down probably as I cut out the peanuts I was eating every evening as a treat (peanuts not really BSD friendly). The previous 4 weeks I lost (just) 2 lbs. I’ve had plenty of social occasions over the months and in reality being concerned about options was all in my head! I’ve checked menus in restaurants online ahead of time so I knew what I was going to have. I’ve also cut out the wine at home and now enjoy it so much more when we are out. Also for bake sale day at work I brought my home made coconut biscuits so had an option to take part in the day. Good luck with this way of eating. It really does work.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi all and especially samjockey, congrats on your big day coming, if you really want a good weight loss stick with the principles of no bad carbs, try to keep within 800 calories, it is not so difficult once you get used to it. Expect to have some weird symptoms, expect to have none (I didn’t) but some people have what they call carb flu, just feeling really rotten for a few days or even a week. Some experience weakness (lack of calories), dizzy spells, mood swings, constipation, to name just a few. Make sure you have enough good fats in the plan to make it both tasty and filling, avocados, nuts, olive oil. Do not even think of eating ‘lo fat’ or ‘low sugar’, just full of chemicals or fillers to make them taste good but not good for you. Drink lots of water and maybe add a little real salt to your diet if you experience dizziness or cramps. You will be flushing salts from your body, not because you are drinking lots, everyone should be anyway, but because fat is expelled from the body via the urine and as you will be losing fats fast (try saying that quickly) you will pee a lot more, may even have to get up during the night. Measure yourself, my biggest inch loss was during the first week when I lost 4 inches from my waist, showing you are losing internal fats. Sam, you have 8 weeks to go at this with all your heart, I hope your wedding dress is not completely finished as, if you really stick with this, you will need it taking in.

There is so much more, so if you find things crop up you are not sure about, do a search in the box above or just ask.

• posted by happynewme
    on

Hi all and I also meant to say congrats samjockey! I’m hoping you’ll be so motivated that you’ll keep me going. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Thanks to all for your helpful comments especially Doodledootoo. Congrats on your weight loss Doodledootoo. I’m not diabetic either but I really want/need to lose weight. I thought I might stick to it better doing a more relaxed version but maybe I just need to go for it. Calorie counting seems such a pain even with my fitness pal. I know we also have to keep carbs low and eat med style but is it necessary to calculate the protein and fat etc too?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The one thing I wish is that I had known what I know now before I got married 25 years ago. Would have saved so much dieting. Seconded about the dress, get it fitted as close to the day as you can. I dropped about 2 dress sizes during my 8 weeks alone.

• posted by samjocky2017
    on

Wow. Thank you so much to everyone who replied to my post. Amazing helpful comments which I will refer back to time and time again over the next 8 weeks :). Thank you again.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi happynewme, with regards to tracking the individual macros, that is all personal choice. I did, but then I largely ‘freestyled’ the dishes, not using any books, so needed some guidance that I was doing it correctly and safely. For what it is worth, with the level of exercise I was doing I used 40g carbs, 37g fats and 77g protein to aim for for my 800 calories balanced diet.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi. We are all different and have individual triggers. Perhaps you could start with the 800 and see how you find that? I have to say I must be low calories on the med as I’m pretty much two meals a day now (but not 800 I’d imagine). Today I had a two egg omelette with mushrooms, spring onions and some grated cheese. I wasn’t hungry until about 5 so I’ve had steak with pepper sauce and a lovely big green salad. I use the cookbook sometimes but normally just adapt my regular recipes. Good luck with whichever way you choose and one things for sure. there’s plenty of support and great advice on here.
    Congrats on the forthcoming nuptials Sam jockey! There’s plenty of evidence on here to show it can be done!

• posted by happynewme
    on

Thanks Mixnmatch. That is really helpful. Especially giving the amounts you used as well. I am more of a freestyle than a recipe follower too. I like the type of foods used in BSD plan but I’m usually not vert good at keeping food diaries etc. I’ll just need to be determined. I’m aiming for a holiday in June so that will be my motivation.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi samjockey2017, keep us all posted with how it is going and then give us a report of the big day. I won’t quite be reliving my wedding day for my 25th anniversary, but will be heading back to where I got married and visiting as many places as I can, including a meal in the ‘First night’ hotel at Lands End. I recently looked through my photographs again. It is a day you will never forget.

• posted by happynewme
    on

Also thanks to Doodledootoo. I’ve never managed to stick to as low calories as that before. Fingers crossed. This forum does seem to be very supportive. Is the recipe for your homemade coconut biscuits posted on here?

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Sorry recipe not posted. It’s from Type 1 & Type 2 Cookbook by Vickie de Beer and Kath Megan. I’d post the recipe but the biscuit recipe has an ingredient that refers to another recipe in the book! And it’s fairly lengthy. If you’re going to do the 800 I’d save the calories for something filling and perhaps get into the routine of that first! You shouldn’t be hungry if you eat the good fat’s, protein and the veg that grows above ground. You really can do this.

• posted by happynewme
    on

Awh thanks Doodledootoo. Your post has really encouraged me. I’m guessing I won’t have much calories left for biscuits anyway but I have some coconut flour I need to use, lol. ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi Samjocky and Happynewme

How are things going for you both this week?

• posted by samjocky2017
    on

Started on Monday as promised! Already lost 5 lbs. I read on this site to look at an app My Fat Secret. This has helped hugely with tracking my food calorie intake and weight tracking. I didn’t feel hungry first few days but bizarrely today I have felt ravenous! Am giving Red Wine Thursday a miss tonight too. Weekends will be a challenge so am hoping I can get through my first weekend. But I am really encouraged by weight loss so far. Thank you for asking ๐Ÿ™‚ I found that really helpful too!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad it’s going well samjocky2017. Keep in mind where you want to be and if you are tempted over the weekend, think about how you want to look on your wedding day. Hopefully that will keep you focused and on track.

The hunger pangs hit at odd times in the early days, I seem to remember that the first week was okay, but then in week two it was more of a struggle, but we are all different. It passes though, so just tough it out and you will soon be through it. It’s the body demanding it’s usual dosage of carbs. Drink plenty and if you have the scope on your allowance, have something with some fat – a cube of cheese, or a coffee with a little cream perhaps – this will help you feel fuller.

You CAN do this and you have lots of good reasons to do it, so don’t let temptation derail you and stop you getting to where you want to be in eight weeks time – well less than that now actually! Best of luck.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Great to hear things going well for you. The hunger pangs do subside. I will just echo the water and also making sure you eat enough! Too little can stall you too remember. I like berries with Greek yog as it feels slightly like a treat and I find the yog particularly filling. Remember if you need support join any threads that interest you. I don’t post a huge amount but every now and then I feel it’s good to put out to the universe how I’m doing and to get a little cheer or just to say I’m still committed to this long term. When you say it out loud or write it down it seems more real than just thinking it! Keep in touch and well done.

• posted by samjocky2017
    on

Thanks for the advice and I’ll try and get through today!!!! Little steps, little steps……

• posted by Jande9
    on

I found snacking on raw cabbage helps. It is filling and doesn’t trigger insulin release. I often have some in the late afternoon.

My routine:
    Coffee in the morning.
    2 eggs at about 11, 180calories.
    Tea during the day.
    Supper at 5:30, about 400 calories. Boneless, skinless chicken breast with piles and piles of veggies, often sauteed. Yesterday I had 8 different vegetables, filling and nutritious.
    Snack at 9, greek yogurt with bran and kefir, about 200 calories and very filling.

I found that I can deal with the hunger easiest if I don’t eat during the day.

Good luck.

Jan

• posted by happynewme
    on

Hi everyone. Congrats Samjockey! 5lb is fantastic! I’ve not really managed to stick to 800 cals. I did around 1100/1200 first few days keeping carbs v low. It’s a lot less calories than I’ve managed on before when calorie counting so I decided not to beat myself up about it. I used fat secret too for the first time and it is really good but I do find calorie counting tedious. I lapsed a bit around Thurs and I had too many drinks last night but I’m still down 3lb. ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve felt I’ve had more energy this week plus I felt my head was clearer. I’m definitely sticking with it. Thanks to everyone for all your tips.

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi Samjocky and Happynewme

How are you doing ths week? I’ve had a bit of stomach illness so I’ve not been great. I posted elsewhere that I was reading up on foods I should eat post this minor illness. It was suggested bland foods such as “bread, crackers or rice”. It made me think, yes these are bland foods. I’d never just eat them on their own. They were only ever an easy accompaniment to what was really tasty and what I still eat now! I feel like I’ve had a revelation!!! Good luck this week and let us all know how you’re doing.

• posted by samjocky2017
    on

Hi, ten pounds lost so far which has been the fastest I have ever lost any weight to be honest. Drinking lots of fizzy water has helped. My skin has improved noticeably due to the water I think. Sitting here with a Captain Morgan’s but it’s within my allowance and right now I feel I have earned it!!!!!!

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi Samjocky & Happynewme

How are ye getting along with BSD?
    Samjocky the wedding can’t be too far away at this stage?
    Hope you’re both OK and enjoying BSD way of life

• posted by samjocky2017
    on

Well you caught me on a bad day!!!!! 12 pounds lost so far – a few wobbles. No weight gained just none lost after a bad day! Tomorrow is a new day and determined to get back on track as it is only 3 weeks away now ….. Eek. Thank you for asking. It’s given me a kick up the backside!!!

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Well 12 lbs is amazing. You should be delighted well done. I had a few bad days and suddenly lost 3 lbs so even a bad choice doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad thing. You’re doing great. 3 week countdown. All very exciting.

Please log in or register to post a reply.