Getting enough fibre

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all
    Does anyone have any tips for me to get more fibre in within the 800 cal – I absolutely love veggies so that’s not an issue, but I’m finding that there is no way I can eat 23g fibre a day. Using MFP to track macros.

Example, I’m doing TRE so just eating lunch and dinner, yesterday I had:
    Chicken stir fry with soy sauce for lunch using a pack of bean sprouts, red pepper, shredded cabbage, carrots, broccoli and onion
    10g walnuts with this
    Pork in mustard sauce from the recipe book with 100g cabbage, 100g sprouts and mushrooms and onion and leek in the sauce

All added up to about 780 cals, MFP says 40g total carbs, 20g which sugar but only 6 fibre??

I feel like I’m eating a lot of fibre rich foods, I also love beans and lentils (in moderation of course) and I sometimes eat porridge (jumbo or pinhead) and I eat a decent amount of chia seeds, flax seeds, although these are horrendously calorific and I don’t find them filling so not enormous amounts of them, but I rarely get above 10g fibre a day, which I know is not enough.

For context, I have always loved veg, particularly leafy green vegetables. Prior to doing fast800 and previously BSD I also loved things like all bran, whole grain bread etc. I also have a bowel condition that was worse when I was a child, but the doctors answer was always “eat more fibre” and my mum used to joke she’d have to stew up cardboard boxes to get more fibre into me. I hate salad in all forms but will occasionally force some down. I just cannot work out how to more than double my fibre intake when my plate is already half full of green veg every day!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Psyllium husks are high fibre and low in calories. I use it as a thickener for sauces (just sprinkle it on and stir it in). You can also add it to drinks.

• posted by florob85
    on

Thanks Squidge I’ll give it a shot

Please log in or register to post a reply.