Gastric bypass

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ann1960
    on

Hi this is my first time on here. I had a gastric bypass in 2007 and lost a lot of weight but I looked terrible so I started eating again and learnt I could snack. I have recently found out I am pre diabetic so decided to read dr mosleys book and it makes complete sense. I have lost 3 kg already ( about 10 days) I don’t want to diet I want to make this a way of life. I am not a salad lover so looking forward to seeing low suger recipes. I have stopped eating microwave meals and most of my meals are freshly prepared. I now have scrambled egg and mushrooms for breakfast which sees me through to tea time which can consist of stuffed mushrooms or home made shepherds pie. I am not drinking any fizzy drinks or dressings. If there is anyone else post gastric bypass I would love to here from you.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi I’ve not had a bypass but I thought I would bump your thread to make sure others see it. I don’t really remember anyone talking about one but that doesn’t mean there are not others here.

Not meaning to poke holes in your food but are you eating less than 800 calories? unless you are having big portions you might not be eating enough, also are you having some good fats? Have you swapped out the potatoes in your shepherds pie? Dressings of the right type would be fine if you like them, using healthy oils etc, a few nuts etc.

If you are regularly under on calories maybe add a small lunch.

I don’t like a lot of salad either but I love a tray of baked veg like carrot, courgette, tomatoes and onions, all tossed in a bit of olive oil and garlic and sometimes some spices. Be adventurous and check out the recipe threads.

Lastly are you getting enough fluid? ditching the fizzy drinks is spot on the right thing, but try to drink plenty water/herbal teas etc.

Even if no one else has had the same surgery as you, you will find great support here Best of luck to you with your journey 🙂

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Ann1960,

Just wanted to say hello, and welcome to the BSD.

I have not had a bypass, though was considering bariatric surgery until I found the BSD800. Finally found the answer to my ever increasing appetite, month on month weight gain and constant carb cravings…so happy to now be eating my way back to health…life changing.

Wishing you every success,

Imogen🌻

• posted by Ann1960
    on

Thank you for your mail. I don’t think I am under 800 calories . With a bypass once you have had enough there is no having more as it just won’t fit. By me eating proper meals and not snacking I will be healthier. I am on a multi vitamin for the rest if my life and my dr is going to keep an eye on me. I am still having potatoe but not as often, I don’t want to go on such a strict diet that I won’t stick to in the long term. Tomorrow I have got a lovely tuna steak that I am marinating in olive with garlic oil , if I eat that I won’t be able to eat much else at least for a few hours . I can’t eat steak as it gets stuck I can’t eat spaghetti either, I am taking small steps to start with, like reducing my suger and trying to eat healthier but I won’t do it all at the same time or I will hate it. Any low suger tips would be great

• posted by Sassie
    on

When I was diagnosed with type 2 the Dr said to avoid processed food like pasta sauces as they have hidden sugar. I have never bought a premade sauce since.

• posted by Izzy
    on

Many members have introduced changes slowly before fully embracing BSD and many think it helped them so if this is the right path for you then just keep trying. One step at a time and you will get there.

Potato would be a good thing to cut out when you are ready.

As for sugar, as Sassie said anything processed is likely to have some hidden but if you are cooking your own meals you should be ok.

If you want to add sweetner, stevia is thought to not cause the insulin response that some other sweetners are thought to. I use it in my tea.

• posted by Ann1960
    on

Please excuse my ignorance but why are potatoes such a problem

• posted by Izzy
    on

anything starchy (potatoes, pasta, rice and bread) are converted by the body to sugars quickly, causing blood sugar spikes and insulin to be released. Those are the things that cause the body to crave more carbs, feel energised followed by a slump, feel hungry faster, and store more fat. All of the things we are trying to avoid or at least minimise.

If you don’t feel able to give them up then try to minimise how often you have them and keep your portions smaller. I hope you are getting on ok 🙂

• posted by Ann1960
    on

Thanks for that, I should know that but had forgotten. I have reduced bread to 3 times a week and I used to have bread every day, also I only have potatoes about twice a week, the shepherds pie I make I only have a small portion and it’s mainly mince so that will be ok. Good tip about causes, I haven’t had one since I started this. I had a blood test on Thursday so my dr can see what is going on it would be nice if it has lowered

• posted by Izzy
    on

Some people find mashed cauliflower makes a good mashed potato substitute, or you could top shepherds pie with grated carrot and onion.

i’d recommend reading the book again as it is so much to take in. I’m reading it again myself for a second time.

• posted by Ann1960
    on

Out of interest how much suger are you allowed per day I thought it was 6 1/2 teaspoons a day, is that wrong?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Ann

You should try and restrict your sugar as much as you can – because it is a refined carbohydrate and the BSD suggests you cut it out, together with the potatoes, rice, bread.

So ideally, if you can’t give it up in normal tea, try drinking herbal teas which have no carbohydrates in. There are lots of lovely ones around to try – I really like the Ginger tea you can get.

And if you must have a sweetener try Stevia, which is quite good – although if you can try and wean yourself off sweet things that really helps. Try other things to drink, like fizzy water with a bit of lemon or cucumber in it.

I looked at how many calories I was using with sugar – I estimated before I started BSD I was having 8 teaspoons per day, which is 120 calories a day or 840 in a week – enough for a meal!! And it wasn’t doing me any good either. I’m really glad I’ve given it up.

But don’t do that, if you don’t want to – switch to other drinks, ideally with no sugar like the herbal/fruit teas, or fizzy water, or use Stevia if you must.

Good luck – have you had another look at the book yet? It really helps to read it through several times.

• posted by Ann1960
    on

I am going to go through it again over weekend and make some notes. Sorry I have picked your brains so much. For tea tonight I had fresh tuna that I marinaded in olive oil with garlic then some kidney beans and haricots beans with some mushrooms that I put in the pan with the tuna. Then for dessert I had a spoon of Greek yoghurt and a few blueberries and a couple of strawberries. Still feeling full lol

• posted by 9plus
    on

Hi there, I have had a similar procedure, the gastric sleeve. That was about 8 years ago and was a great success. However over the recent years with old age creeping in and a very very sedentry job, I am slowly creeping up the scales again DESPITE eating the amount that 3 year old eats. Just today i have been told that I am just into the pre diabetic stage and so I am keen to nip it in the bud and loose abit of the weight that i have gained back.

• posted by Ann1960
    on

It is difficult when you can only eat little amounts so I am just eating little and often but low or no suger. Good luck

• posted by LucretiaUK
    on

Hi all,
    I wanted to put a hand up and say I have a gastric band which reduces the size of the top half of my stomach to the volume of a kiwi fruit, or a boiled egg…(I’m hungry!).
    I had the band fitted in Birmingham, UK in 2012 and lost 8 stones but have regained 3 stones. I was a bit of a carb addict but bread, pasta and such like stop up the small hole in the middle of my constricted stomach and tend to return, often painfully.
    The hospital department that looked after me post op were the endocrinology team, who also look after diabetics. Their advice was always “eat dry and crunchy foods, no soups, shakes or sauces and no blending your food for easy consumption!” They still trot out the same stuff about carbs and low-fat options.
    My ideal meal is small, very flavourful and totally satisfying. Breakfast is hard though, as most bandsters find their aperture is tight in the morning after sleep. One poached egg fills me right up. Lunch is a little better – I like carrot sticks with hummus or just a tub of snacky stuff like olives or falafels. My dinner (usually for one in the week) is meat and a little veg. I used to scoff lots of rice but since starting the BSD I’ve binned that off. Likewise pasta and potatoes.
    However, I am still hungry. I’m chugging litres of water to shut up the tummy growling but the temptation to snack on naughty things is only stopped by not having them to hand!
    Thankfully I have never been diagnose as diabetic. I just want to eat smaller amounts and lose weight 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.