Fruity Advice please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

Hi – I have been avoiding fruit during the first 7 weeks of the BSD – apart from the odd few blueberries and blackberries. I was so scared of accidentally consuming more sugar than I needed. However i want to reintroduce fruit – I know that tropical fruit is to be avoided – but which is recommended for BSD please?

Thank you

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

oranges sent my Blood Glucose off the scale so to be avoided. Apples now and then are okay, if a bit carby 19g per apple. Along with the berries you already have you can have raspberries and strawberries. Now and then I have a kiwi fruit chopped onto my yoghurt and sometimes a passionfruit. Dont know the numbers but it is only once a week so I’m not too concerned. (Think I had better look). Okay kiwi is 17g per 100g but a fruit only weighs around 50g so not too bad. Passionfruit is 23g per 100 but a fruit has about 20 to 25 gram weight so, again not too bad if not too often.

• posted by 8WeeksOf800
    on

Thanks Sunshine girl – so are you having fruit once a week?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi 8 weeks
    I posted a reply and a link to a video on the One Week at a time thread.

Useful info about fruit.Not necessarily what I wanted to her but have had to adjust after being a fruitaholic !!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

No 8 weeks, I eat berries like blueberries, raspberries and strawberries – all are lower in sugar – around 2 or 3 times a week. I have half an apple on a Ploughmans lunch maybe once a week and half an avocado. I never eat tropical fruits besides the occasional passionfruit or maybe a small kiwi but the number of grams eaten (passion about 20g – kiwi about 50g) and the rarity means it is something for a change. I never eat oranges and never dried fruits and never ever bananas. When in season I might have 2 small fresh apricots for breakfast. The problems it seems is when people think something is good for them – i.e. you must eat 5, 6, 7 or whatever fruit and veg a day – they think eating more is even better.
    After watching the video wendleg mentioned (one week at a time – 19th Feb, near the end of 2nd page of comments) it has brought to mind that my husband has just had a blood pressure scare with his heart going into arrhythmia – palpations. He is being treated but recently he has started eating 2 oranges every day. Watch the video and find out what the uric acid in fruits do to the blood vessels and it makes sense that he has been overdosing on fruit. He lives by the rule, if something is supposed to be good for you then more must be better. Not the case. He started eating bananas every day and (he has regular blood tests) his potassium levels went sky high. Potassium is good but if you have too much it upsets the balance with other minerals.
    The only people who said we should eat 5 FRUITS a day is the fruit industry.

Please log in or register to post a reply.