Food questions

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leshaz
    on

I have always thought that eating basmati rice is fine as it is low GI and much better than brown – or should rice just be avoided completely?
    On the BSD are you allowed to have coconut cream/milk?
    Also I have always purchased chicken thighs over breasts as they do not dry out during cooking process…is this ok to substitute?
    Can anyone suggest a good app/website for food calorie counts/carb counts?
    Thanks in advance!!!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Leshaz – doing a quick check on calories, 100g of chicken thigh meat is almost double the calories of the same weight of chicken breast – 209 cals against 110cals. I use two sites for nutrition info calorieking.com and nutricheck.co.uk – mainly use calorieking, but it’s a US site I think, so if I can’t find the item on there, I fall back to the nutricheck.
    Rice should be avoided as it is high in carbohydrate and the BSD is a low carb way of eating, not low GI. Best to avoid all rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, most cereals and anything sugary etc. Quinoa is okay in small portions if you want a rice substitute, as this is higher in protein than carbs.
    Yes you may have coconut cream/milk, but you need to account for this in your calorie count – and if you are tracking carb intake the carb count too.
    Hope that helps and good luck as you begin this new way of eating. Hope to see some great results being posted by you soon.

• posted by Anniflower
    on

I have just downloaded the CarbCalculator app. It’s not flashy, but seems to have a good range of information.

• posted by Anniflower
    on

Leshaz.. I have just downloaded CarbCalculator app. Not flashy but seems to have a good range of info.

• posted by Leshaz
    on

Hi SunnyB thanks so much for your detailed reply i really do appreciate it. I haven’t really been back on the forum …fell off the wagon a bit due to personal reasons. But I’m back and determined to do this! How has your journey been do far?

• posted by Jane-elisabeth
    on

Hi All, hope you are all doing ok?? I started my fourth week of the diet yesterday… Albeit once a week I have been eating small amount of forbidden food and a glass of red wine.. I am losing weight and loving all the food that I’m eating.. Missing bread for sandwiches though. Today I discovered The Healthy Chef website… It’s a wonderful place for recipes and advice.. I made the spelt seeded soda bread and its delicious! But I’m wondering if it is allowed?? It contains 1tbsp of honey, but that is the only sugar content in the whole loaf. I also made a fantastic cake (mine and friends opinion) so I will pop that onto the recipe listings.. I go to a knitting/crochet club once a week and I am the cake maker…so have been looking at alternatives to all our favourites..
    Hope you all have a great day!
    Ttfn x

Please log in or register to post a reply.