First day of the rest of my life – bring it on

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Cheshire59
    on

I’ve been here before, if not on this forum on others, chanting a mantra.
    The truth is I feel really tired and poorly and it’s all my own doing. The person I am now is not a person I identify with and yet I have been that person for 30 years – drinking too much, not taking care of myself, looking slightly scruffy and, putting on weight…… wearing trainers all the time. Now I have little choice give my feet are so swollen but I still have the stilettos in the wardrobe – one day, one day! I’m the reverse of those slim people who see a fat person. I’ve made excuse when invited out with friends from the past because I know they would be surprised to see me now and I guess previously I was quite proud that I looked after myself. Nothing over the top but hair done, make up, healthy, sporty….
    People do see you differently – especially doctors.
    Anyway that was yesterday and yester year….
    Today I start with a bright positive attitude … but lots of work to do.
    I’m 59 – 60 in October and there is my first goal — shed the weight before hitting 60.
    Second goal is to reduce the medication and here is the list (if I haven’t bored you already you will be soon).
    – daily 4*500mg Metformin, Amlodipine 5mg, Alogliptin 25mg, Lisinopril 10mg, Levothyroxone 100mg and Atorvastatin 40mg(which I don’t take because it stiffens my legs).
    Third goal is to do a Park Run, 10K etc.

I need to put some dates to the above and break down the targets but my first challenge is to keep to the 800 for a week and just chip away at some of the above.

Good luck to all those out there – look after yourself after all why wouldn’t we!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Cheshire59 your post made me smile. As you are talking about an initial goal of just one week come over and join the ‘I have a plan: Week 2 ‘ which is starting this morning.
    BTW I was also on metformin and have reversed my diabetes, so have others. Krysia has reversed her diabetes and come of insulin and repaired other complications of diabetes. We are just two of the success stories. You can do it….. all is possible. Enjoy the journey.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Welcome to the forum Cheshire59 – you have made the important first step. Many of us (if not all of us) have felt exactly like you and we have all been amazed at how this way of eating has turned things around.

Good that you are taking action before you go into the next stage of treatment which I am guessing is either one of the stronger diabetes drugs or insulin. I was on insulin for 4 years and it only made the insulin resistance worse, increased my weight considerably and seemed to speed up the progression of diabetic macular oedema, retinopathy and neuropathy in my right leg. So as a treatment I guess you would say it was a a resounding failure on all counts – even though the doctors said that I had superb blood sugar control on the insulin.

I was quite literally in the depth of despair when I was introduced to this way of eating. I don’t call it a diet because I know that if I revert back to my old way of eating the diabetes will come back. But I absolutely love the food and couldn’t go back to the old way of eating now. This WOE has reversed the macular oedema, retinopathy and neuropathy and put the diabetes in remission – so a resounding success on all counts.

I notice that you are looking forward to becoming that glamorous, up beat, healthy, life engaging person you once were – and you certainly can by following this WOE.

Please do join any of the threads – There are some amazing people on this forum and you will get so much support. SunnyB has started a new one week challenge that had just started – I have a plan! Week 2 – July 30th which I am sure will be helpful to join.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Verano – great minds think alike – we must have started our posts at the same time. You are right – we are just two of the success stories.

• posted by caronl
    on

Welcome Cheshire59. I started late last October on this way of life – with my 60th birthday then looming the following March. Last October I was wearing size 18/20 and feeling very fed up with myself. I had been overweight most of my life, with all the self-esteem issues which go with that. On my birthday, and nearly 3 stone lighter, I wore a size 14 dress – not baggy trousers, nor trainers. And I felt a million dollars. You seem to have more to tackle health wise, but you are in the right place to turn things round. Do join us on the thread “I have a plan Week 2”. One meal at a time, plan well, drink water and see the real “you” emerge. Wishing you well.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi and welcome.

This way of eating is great for losing excess weight, giving us more energy and helping us feel (and actually be) much healthier.

You won’t be able to give up all the medication. I’m not sure what they’re all for, but I take Levothyroxine myself and the condition isn’t reversible through diet and exercise (or any other way I’m aware of). You may eventually be able to reduce or stop some of them though.

I suggest talking to your doctor about the one you’re prescribed but not taking. Maybe there’s an alternative? Also if you’re taking a combination of drugs, your doctor should be taking them all into account and it might be that not taking it has an impact on something else. Some (sadly not all) doctors are very supportive of people managing appropriate conditions through diet and exercise, so it’s worth seeing if you can get yours onside with this and work out your best approach to gradually reduce the amount of medication you need.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Cheshire59 – just wanted to extend another welcome to you and congratulate you on making this momentous step towards a healthier happier future. Could I suggest putting in place some mini-goals to hit along the way – first stone lost, 2 inches off your waist, dropping a dress size – these help with motivation and focus and as you hit one, you can plan for a new one. That way, you keep a sense of achievement, even if you don’t hit the big targets when you think you should.

As others have said, make good use of the forum and join any thread you feel relevant to you, as you will get a warm welcome and being part of this wonderful community has helped to get many of us to our end goal, even when things have got rough. The challenge threads are really useful, making us accountable and giving us a safe place to confess transgressions and celebrate successes.

Best wishes to you and we’ll be looking forward to reading about your progress.

Please log in or register to post a reply.