First 10 Days – This Can't be Right!!!!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by usds
    on

I’m so elated I must tell someone!

Type 2 diagnosed(!) about 8 years ago.

Started 10 days ago ….. 5’7″, 17st 6lb, fasting BS 9-10 mmol/L, BP 140/90, pulse 90.
    1x5mg Ramipril & 4x500mg Metformin daily.
    Not the mention the Diabetic Nurse suggesting more (and different pills) and she’s not really interested in anything else – just like my GP.

Here I am 10 days in and I nearly fell off my chair!

16st 11lbs, BP 116/76, Pulse 70 and …… fasting BS 6.4!!!!!

I had to look several times to be sure ….. I’m not so motivated to push on and shove these numbers in front of my “trusted medical experts”!

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Congratulations usds. All the weight loss means nothing compared to getting our BGLs down and stopping the damage diabetes silently does to us. Weight loss is exciting too but 4 months on from getting normal BGLs I still want to pinch myself about my normal blood sugar readings. Like others I sometimes can’t believe I am this weight (although till way to go) but I still test my BGLs just to make sure it is still so good. Enjoy your success.

• posted by usds
    on

Thanks Jenni,
    Yes its the Blood Sugar that is my main motivation, I just want to improve my long term future and show my doctors that drugs aren’t always the answer!

• posted by Shanshu
    on

That sounds amazing. I will be starting soon (end of the month) and it’s really good motivation to read how well it has worked for others.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

usds that’s how this diet works, quick loss, shock to the pancreas and liver and loss of visceral fat around those organs equals lower BG. I was measuring 10 mmol/L and within about 10 days was down to 6.5. I now run at around 4.5 and my HbA1c is down from 8.2 to 5.9. Keep on keeping on. There was a time early in the diet when I actually got frightened that it was all happening too quick but I kept my nerve, slowly reduced my insulin and then my meds and now just accept that, after 6 months I am not quite there yet but confident that within the next 6 months I will be at goal weight and completely off meds. Even if my doctor says I still have diabetes I will be happy to be controlling with diet. There is nothing worse than jabbing yourself every night.

• posted by LizV
    on

Congratulations! That is so great, and so encouraging too!

• posted by usds
    on

So I thought I’d do an update another 3 weeks on. And ……

16st 1lb (so close to being in the 15s which I haven’t been since the 80s). The only down side is it looks like I’ll have to put up with a bit of excess skin hanging about. But that’s a minor thing in the big scheme. Weight loss has slowed but it’s still going in the right direction.

Blood pressure now around 105/65 consistently so maybe I’ll be able to stop the Ramipril soon.

Blood sugar averages 4.5-5.0 daily with occasional peaks of 6.0-6.5 after food or first thing.

I have a regular appointment with the nurse in a few weeks so I wait to see what b****ks she comes out with as I started this only a week before I had my regular blood test so it’ll still look poor from her view. I’ll be insisting on another blood test in a couple of months to see how the A1c levels are going.

Everything is on a spreadsheet and graphs so she can’t dismiss these facts!

Next report will be after that meeting.

Keep the faith everyone and good luck in your journeys to better health.

🙂

• posted by Clarity50
    on

usds
    keep going, you are doing so well, I have had a great start as well even though weight loss has slowed a little. Luckily my doctor is very supportive and is keen to follow my journey. She knew about the diet and was keen to see how I got on. It does make a difference having support,

Keep up all the good work

Sue

• posted by usds
    on

Well that was a breath of fresh air! Different nurse and much more thorough but in a positive way.

My last HbA1c (which was done before I started this diet) was 64 … not great. All other tests were fine including Cholersterol. She was thinking about more medication. However ………

After seeing my self monitoring results – 15st 7lbs, BP usually 110/65 and average BS of 5.0-5.4 she was blown away and genuinly pleased. I have all my readings on a spreadsheet since I started this so that helped.

Her test of my BP was 120/70 – the lowest ever in a medical situation.

So another blood test in 5 weeks to see how the HbA1c has improved and happy for me to take less Metformin for nowe as long as I continue with careful monitoring. If the blood pressure keeps down I’ll be off the Ramipril pills.

Very happy is an understatement! Just need to keep on with the diet to make this work.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Wow, usds, that is fantastic – you have done soooo well, and how great it must feel to now have a supportive nurse. I’m doing the happy dance for you.

Keep up the good work, and good luck in your next blood test.

• posted by Shrinkle
    on

Well done usds,
    Inspiring !! x

• posted by Chubbs1975
    on

Brilliant figures
    Keep up the great work

Please log in or register to post a reply.