Finally doing something about my diabetes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fat Phil
    on

Hi all,
    Just joined the site. I have been diabetic since 2001 and only now doing something sensible about it – shocking! Started the BSD Easter Monday and weighed 18 stone 12 pounds with a morning sugar reading of around 7.8. One week in and I have shed 11.5 pounds and morning sugar reading down to 5.6. I am looking forward to losing another 90 pounds!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Phil (you will be able to drop the Fat soon). Dont beat yourself up about not doing anything about the diabetes. Most of us have tried many things but have been kept on meds etc by bad medical advice until now. I even gained 5kgs and put my BG up to over 200 by following the advice of a diabetes nutritionist who put me on 6 starchy carbs daily with a promise it would sort out my weight and my BG. Now we have found this diet it is such a relief to be in control and know that great improvements can be made.

• posted by Fat Phil
    on

Thanks for the encouragement. I had actually lost weight before a few years ago, down to 16 stone, and the nurse said not to lose any more!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

What a strange thing for the nurse to say!

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

And on that note, I heard someone say to another only yesterday, you look ill! You’re fading away! So I made a point of saying to that person, I should imagine you feel weller than you have in a long time.

• posted by Fat Phil
    on

Well said. Some people who need to lose weight can be jealous of others who are doing it.

• posted by Juliet
    on

Just starting off again today and feeling a bit nervous. Lost a stone starting in January doing the whole 8 weeks. After that didn’t quite know what to do but have been carb conscious since then. Have gained 3 pounds and am aware how easily it would all go back on if I went back to eating ‘normally’ but am determined to lose another stone, no matter how long it takes. Two things I learned last time that were crucial to my weight loss – drink more water than you think you need (I make myself drink a large glass every waking hour on the hour – my kids remind me if I forget) and don’t weigh myself every day (I become too focussed on what the scales say and lose heart very quickly when I plateau or – heaven forbid – go up!)
    So – looking forward to getting to know everyone here – we’ve taken the first step to a whole new chapter – healthier and fitter and more in control. Can’t wait.

Good luck all : )

• posted by Fat Phil
    on

Well done to you for getting back on the plan and good luck. When I get down to my target I will go on the 5:2 plan. 5 days ‘normal’ eating and 2 days on the 800 calores a day.

Please log in or register to post a reply.