Fibrous vegetables containing lots of insoluble fibre

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by rachelhhh
    on

Hello

I’m starting the 8 week blood sugar diet tomorrow and am avoiding fibrous vegetables containing lots of insoluble fibre for the first two weeks.
    I’m a bit confused by what this consists of and there are conflicting search results on google!

Is anyone able to please guide me?

Also – are you able to search on forums for a topic? It was not clear to me how to do this.
    Thanks
    Rachel

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Rachelhhh – it took me a little time to work that one out also. The search box is right at the top of the page on the right hand side.

There is absolutely no reason to avoid fibrous vegetables on the BSD – in fact they should become your new best friends unless you have a medical condition which means you must avoid them.. Asparagus, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, aubergine, avocado, courgettes, kale, lettuce and mushrooms are my favourites.

It is the starchy vegetables we must avoid, such as potatoes, parsnips, green peas, sweetcorn, pumpkins, winter squash and yams. Hope this is helpful.

• posted by rachelhhh
    on

Thank you KrysiaD – I see the search function now!
    It says in the book just for Phase 1 to avoid very fibrous veg and reintroduce them in Phase 2. It gave a few examples – kale, stringy beans… but I wanted to a more extensive list.

Thank you for the list of starchy veg!

Rachel

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Rachelhhh – I completely missed the bit about avoiding fibrous veggies in Phase one. I would be really grateful if you could let me know which chapter it is in as i followed the following advice in the book.

In answer to the question – are some vegetables better than others? The reply was: Absolutely. Some are starchier than others, which means they will affect your blood sugar. Leafy green vegetables like broccoli, spinach, cabbage, lettuce, kale, chard and cauliflower are rich in vitamin C and fibre and very low in sugar and starch, so tuck in. Ditto tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.

I am intrigued to know why he gave different advice in another part of the book.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Rachelhhh – have just had a thought. Are you asking about the Clever Guts book and not the Bloodsugar Diet. I vaguely remember something about in Phase One of the Clever Guts diet you avoid fibrous veggies but on the Bloodsugar Diet there are no such restrictions to eating fibrous veggies. I would have looked it up but cannot remember where I put my copy. It is somewhere in the house – goodness knows where. Obviously I have put it in a safe place.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve had a quick skim through the BSD book, as I couldn’t remember anything about avoiding fibrous veg, in fact I thought the opposite advice was given. I haven’t found anything. Which section is it in?

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Squidge – I have just done a forensic search of my copy of the Bloodsugar Diet book on Kindle and it is definitely not there. In fact the exact opposite advice is given. Nor is there a phase 1 and phase 2 version of the BSD.

As I can’t find my clever guts book I did a quick search on the Clever Guts website and found this. ‘I have bought Clever Guts Diet book and have been on PHASE 1 – Remove, and Repair phase for 2 weeks.’ So it looks as though Rachelhhh had meant to post on the Clever Guts forum and not the BSD forum. So we are safe to continue with our fibrous vegetables as we are following the BSD.

• posted by rachelhhh
    on

Ohhh you are both right! I’m so sorry for the confusion.

I’m doing the 8 week blood sugar diet but am combining it with the Clever Guts diet. I wanted to cleanse my gut at the same time as have a few issues going on besides my blood sugars, and am hoping that will help with other things.

You are so right, I should have posted this question on the other forum. None-the-less you both have been very informative, so thank you!

• posted by Squidge
    on

Aha! Thanks for confirming that.

I’ve seen MM’s TV stuff about clever guts and can see that having a healthy gut is a good idea, but I only skimmed through the CG book. Maybe I’ll get brave, but all that fermenting is a step too far for me at the moment.

Please log in or register to post a reply.