Feeling like I’m going to die

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Bobbs
    on

Hi

Sorry to be such a moan but I’m really having a horrible time. Since starting the diet 9 days ago I’ve been feeling progressively more and more I’ll. So far I’ve passed out 3 times. Checked my bp afterwards and it was around my normal hypertensive range. Minimal exertion leaves me dripping with sweat to the extent I have a towel glued to me.

I’ve been married 30 odd years to my soulmate. We don’t argue and usually are giggling about thinking the same thoughts, the other verbalizing what you were about to say. Now I could happily rip out his throat and feed it to the cats. I actually really dislike him at times which is new. We constantly bicker. He’s decided 800 cals just isn’t enough for him which is fair doos. He’s eating much less, even when he’s eating non diet it tends to be berries and crime fraiche. The other night I was like a harridan screaming at him to the extent he threw me a bowl of strawberries and a cube of cheese.

I’m shaking all the time, sweating, my mouth tastes like a sewer, to add insult to injury apart from the time I ate my brown of berries I’m keeping to the diet and following the recipes in the books, I’m not adding extras to the recipes and our portion size has markedly reduced. We aren’t having our “pudding” every night which was a very large portion of ice cream and often something extra on top.

In8 days, I’ve lost 3 lbs. I’m really feeling despair at this point. I feel so out and out ill. My muscles are so sore that it reminds me of starting the gym many years ago before I was disabled. I’m so incredibly stressed and I seem to be on a knife edge.

Sorry about the novel of woe. I just don’t know what to do

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, as you are heading towards diabetes and if you have only felt like this whilst on this diet, I would suggest your blood glucose is dropping too low. The mood swings, sweating, fainting all sound like low BG. Can you check, do you have a meter. If not then when you feel faint and dizzy have a small snack, something just to get you by. In the old days before BSD if I was dropping into hypoglycaemia I would have something stupid like a jam sandwich, which ups the BG but you very quickly have another drop. Now I have a small full fat Greek yoghurt with a couple of prunes or dried apricots.

Also, there is a thing call the carb flu which is your body rebelling against not having carbs. You basically just feel really rough and it lasts around 2 weeks until you get used to the diet. Sorry you have only lost 3lbs but the diet does work, what about portions sizes and / or are you still having some carbs. Anyway, stick with it and I am sure you will feel better in a few days. Hope your love life survives.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Bobbs.

Sorry you’re feeling so bad. It does seem like this diet is a big change for you, which helps explain why your body is finding it hard to adjust. It probably is the ‘carb flu’ that Sunshine Girl mentioned, but it’s also possible you’ve coincidentally got some kind of bug or illness, so do think about seeing your doctor if you don’t feel any better soon.

As you’re so stressed and having relationship issues it might be worth increasing your calories a bit (but still eating low carb foods) until you feel better. Have you cut anything other than carbs? Suddenly stopping caffeine might cause this.

Do make sure you’re drinking enough water as some of your symptoms can be caused by dehydration.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have been following this way of eating for 18 months now, so have seen people come and go on the forum, including people who are struggling, but I don’t think I have seen anyone describe such a strong reaction. —— So I would agree with the other suggestions. – If its carb flu increasing your salt intake would help.
    But it may be something else and could be worth seeing your doctor.

• posted by Bobbs
    on

sunshine girl, squidge, JGwen

Thank you all so very very much.
    It’s so helpful to be able to come on here and be able to explain how I’m feeling and have so much support, it’s very humbling and most welcome. I was making tea tonight and again came over all shaky, profuse sweating, and became like the menopausal PMT monster from Hades. If poor hubby could have said black was black then I’d have come over all sarcastic and insisted it was white.

I checked my blood sugar and it was 1.7mmols. Protestingly all the way I sat on the sofa while telling my hubby he couldn’t possibly make tea as he’d spoil it (he’s a medically retired chef) he gave me 1/2 tsp apricot jam and made me a much of tea with a wee oatcake and butter. I’d have preferred something else but he did what he thought was best as I wasn’t being very rational.
    Looks like I’ve been having wee hypo episodes. I think tonight was going to be full blown though.
    I do thing I’ve also got carb flu but I thing a big part has been my blood sugar.
    I’ve probably halved my portions but I also think that although I wasn’t counting carbs strictly it must have been a massive drop from what I was taking. Some evenings we were eating nothing but carbs if I wasn’t feeling great before I started the diet. Looking back at what I’ve been eating I’ve been averaging 45g carbs since I started.
    My nemesis I’m afraid is my tea in the morning. I’m using semi skimmed instead of my usual whole milk as I can’t tolerate any of the other milks. I find they nauseated me. I’ve got the feeling that’s where I’m going wrong. I like milky tea as black tea or jus a wee drop milk nauseates me too. I’m an awkward baggage.

I was thinking if increasing my calories to 900 for a week or two and see if that helps. I need to be more pragmatic, 3 lbs is still 3 lbs.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi bobbs,
    Glad we could help, – did you know that skimmed and semi skimmed milk has a higher level of carbs than full fat milk. So you may be better off going back to full fat milk in your tea.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I agree with JGwen – Have the full fat milk. I do and I drink a lot of tea (and reached my target weight and am maintaining it). I’d be really grumpy without my milky tea and can easily believe that not getting to enjoy a cuppa, especially that first one in the morning, is playing a part in your problems.

on

Hi Bobbs, yes, it did sound like hypos and something many non diabetics dont realise is that losing your temper is a sign of hypo. When I first started with the onset I thought I was suffering from depression as there are a lot of similarities. When your BG goes so low your brain is not being supplied with nutrients and you get the brain fog and as you say, not thinking rationally. Once the diagnosis is confirmed as diabetes (or pre) then you need to know how to look after yourself to keep yourself safe. A non-diabetic can go as low as you stated with no harmful effects as the body will right itself. We have a malfunction of that ability and need to monitor and adjust for ourselves. The good news is that as you are still in the pre-diabetic range you have every chance of turning that around. Just be sensible and eat something when you feel you need to. Tell your other half what you are experiencing and it sounds as though he has got it sussed and will be able to watch out for you. My husband does the same, especially after I had a full blown hypo and he didn’t know what to do. He soon learnt after than. Just stay safe.

on

Hi Bobbs, how have you been getting on.

• posted by Bobbs
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl

Sorry I didn’t get back sooner but I’ve been without internet and I’m a dinosaur that seldom used my mobile so I’m on payg.
    I’ve lost 12lbs which I’m thrilled by as I’ve reintroduced my tea and sod the carbs and cals. It’s probably upped my calories to around 950cals/day but I’m managing much better on that and not having nearly as many hypos which were 2-3xday. Hubby is delighted as he was finding it hard to cope as we just don’t argue, we never ever have. I don’t know what I’d do without his support.

Hopefully I can maintain this to get to my target weight. The actual content of the diet isn’t bothering me, I’m loving a lot of the recipes so maintaining the diet will be fine as it’s a way I love to eat anyway.

Thank you for your kindness, I do appreciate it.
    Bx.

Please log in or register to post a reply.