Feeling disheartened

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Denwiles
    on

I’ve been on the fast 800 diet for nearly 3 weeks now. I am being really focused and sticking to it but for the last week I’ve only lost 2 ounces . The first week I lost 6lbs and the second 3 lbs . But since 6 days ago I have stayed the same weight and this morning found I’d lost 2 ounces! Is this typical ? I am not doing any exercise except for walking, but I am fairly active during the day so it’s not like I am sitting around doing nothing . Help please as I don’t want to give up.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

It is so typical there are probably a hundred threads here started by frantic BSDers who had great losses the first 2 or 3 weeks then hit a wall. I gained and lost 4 pounds in my 4th week on the BSD, and wound up with a .1 lb loss. It was memorable because that happened to be the week I decided to begin using a scale for the first time in a decade and a half. You can imagine the state of complete panic I was in at those crazy leaps.

Reading about it in this very forum made me realize that it was common to plateau in the middle of the 8 weeks and that I shouldn’t freak out about it. I freaked out anyway, of course, and then the next week lost 7 pounds. It’s a rollercoaster ride, Denwiles. Your body will do what it wants in its own sweet time. All you can do is follow the rules and hold on. It’s worth it in the end, believe me. Keep your eyes on the prize.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Denwiles, weigh loss is rarely constant and you can expect over the eight weeks, to see losses, plateaux and the odd small gain, but overall you will see a loss, which is the aim of the exercise. Our bodies all need periods of adjustment and these can be marked by a plateau or the weight loss stalling. Don’t panic about any of this, if you stick with the BSD it will come right. If your plateau persists, try doing a bit of a review by checking your carb intake is not too high – it can be surprising where those carbs hide, even in fruit and veg – and it’s always worth reviewing hydration and that you are including enough fat in you 800 cals too.

It will come right and you will see positive results, but don’t panic if it doesn’t happen as and when you expect, because it rarely does but will happen as and when your body is good and ready. Try not to be disheartened – I know that is easier said than done, but try to stay positive.

Best of luck …

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi denwiles,

Sorry to pass this comment but, try not to think of losing a pound on the scales.

How about you having a quiet moment and congratulate yourself for going something wonderful for yourself?
    Or how all your squishy bits inside you are happy that you are cleaning out your body and getting better?

Let your squishy bits get healthy and then next tuesday weigh yourself and see how it goes?
    Try to still to the programme but enjoy life!

Shall i let you into a secret?

I weighed myself yesterday and i had put five pounds on in a week. Oh pooh!
    I kept to the programme and had fun trying gurning in the mirror.
    Its like face pulling. Or looking like a gargoyle. I could win it with little effort.

I weighed myself today, twice, three times.
    Until i realised the floor tiles are uneven!

Thats why i try and look at it at every angle.
    Only weigh once a week.

Love lucia
    Xxxx

• posted by Denwiles
    on

Thank you for your reply. I am determined to keep at it, it was just getting to me that I’m cutting out all the treats I like and for such a small loss. Hopefully my insides are showing the benefits of this diet.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

We’ve all been there, Denwiles. All the weighing, measuring, planning and calculating is a lot of work and it’s hard not to feel a sense of futility when you don’t see the fruits of your labours on the scales. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve crumbled into a sobbing pile of despair over the year I’ve been on the BSD, even knowing that the losses will always start again.

Having said that, I know there’s a mourning period when you’ve first said goodbye the carbs, but it might help you to stop thinking of the foods you’ve cut as “treats” instead of the poisons they actually are. You wouldn’t have had to take such drastic measures as the BSD if those foods hadn’t materially harmed your body.

• posted by Aimi
    on

Hi guys, on the week leading up to my period I am unable to lose weight, my body stores it as water until my period comes, then I see the weight loss the following week. I only know this because I was working with a nutritionist who had some very techy scales. It happens every month at the same time for me.

Please log in or register to post a reply.