February 2020 : ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning 18th February 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Back to the weekly format , folks as I am home after my Spanish adventure !! I hope we can keep the momentum going .We have seen some very very encouraging results since the beginning of the year so let’s just carry on moving forward , managing any challenges but with our eyes fixed on the prize of improved health ,a more serene relationship with food and feeling ( and looking) better.

I hope our ‘team’ of regulars will be checking in and sharing their experiences . A very friendly welcome also awaits anyone who is hesistating on the fringes of the forum. Come and join us !!

I am sure Sunny will join me in wishing you all a great week. Whatever stresses and challenges you are facing, we don’t judge.We are here to help and support and just be KIND to one another.That’s so important now, right ?? ( catching up with distressing Uk news on our return)
    You know I always tell my kids at school that if they can’t say anything kind then say nothing . So we are definitely kind and thoroughly decent people here . It doesn’t stop me nagging you gently now and again though, but it is always done with your best interests at heart 😉
    It will take me a few days and several hours sleep before I can catch up with everyone. Bear with me ..I will be back to normal soon.

Lots of love
    Wendy xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yes, I’m happy to be part of this thread, which is invaluable to me and I’m sure that’s the same for many others.

My week starts with a very small loss on this time last week …. just 0.5lb. However, my small jeans are telling a different story, as I was able to comfortably wear them today, for the first time in months. So, I’m hopeful that by this time next week, the scales will have caught up.

Come along and join us and we can do this together.

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Hello! Im a returner x I joined in 2017 and had a huge success with this 800 plan. I had my ups and downs but eventually taught myself the BSD way of life – eating low carb all the time.

I am 5 5 and a year ago i weighed around 9st. Today i am almost 11. In the past year i managed to leave a very destructive and manipulative marriage and take my two girls with me. Was doing so well with managing being a single mum and working full time but in the last 6m i have lost my way with it all.
    I have been torturing myself with what i weighed and how i looked a year ago and how i have hugely let myself down.

Tonight I’m going to go back to my fast 800 book and try to begin a new chapter.
    Day 1 complete! Hoping to feel better about things this week x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome to the weekly challenge thread and well done on getting day 1 under your belt, Angelsand. Keep posting and shout out if you need advice or encouragement, someone will definitely respond.

Hope day 2 goes well.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi All and glad to hear you got home safe after your adventure, Wendy! Sounds like the scenic route had its charms I’m definitely in for another week. Can’t do this without you all.

My jeans and scales are out of sync too, SunnyB! Took my skinniest skinny jeans off last night (that I couldn’t get in at all 6 wks ago) without undoing them and thought a discard was a dead cert for this morning. Zilch. Zero. But think I caught sight of a hint of a waist (mine, that is) at yoga earlier. Didn’t look too hard in case it was a trick of the light😆.

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

W6D1 I’m just about hanging in there. For some reason I’m struggling now, perhaps i can see the end with it being so close and my will is being tested. But I have kept to it so far, it has just been hard.
    Angelsand, welcome, and don’t torture yourself, someone else has been doing that to you for too long. Treat yourself with kindness, sometimes in life you have to put aside the things you want, to do the things you must. There’s no blame, just get back up and try again. It’s why we are all here!
    Right, off to march my final few thousand steps for the day.
    KOKO.

• posted by AmzTheBeautiful
    on

Hello. Checking in post Day 4 of FB Fit. Phew! What a challenging workout! I had to call my coach (my daughter :D) into the room for the last ten minutes to get some encouragement to continue, but it just ended in a mini snuggle instead. I finished afterward though. I fasted until about 2 PM this afternoon since I had to work anyway and I felt too lazy to cook. I will probably make some sort of chicken and veggies saute for dinner, likely to be spicy and delicious… or at least the former. I skipped my daily weigh-in as I felt bloated because of my cycle and it was just too cold to get naked, lol.
    Feeling pretty good, spent last night and this morning looking for accessories for the matching dresses my daughter and I will be wearing in April, which is currently my inspiration. They are lovely vintage-style lace dresses, mine in dark turquoise and hers in light blue. I found some awesome floral shoes that came in both pumps and mary janes so our shoes will match too! I will share a picture when the big day arrives.
    Also, I am so envious when I read about your guys’ traveling. I have never been out of the US! I have wanted to go to France since I was six, but I have yet to make it. *Sigh* C’est la vie. I told my little darling we will try to go abroad when she is a little older. Anyways, going to shower and eat. Cheers for you all.
    207.6 (2/15), 206.2 (2/16), ???.? (2/17)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see others determined to march on for another week.
    Bryla, I’m sure we’ll have a positive result soon. Just need to keep ‘walking the walk’ and eventually the scales will agree with our waistlines.

Phoenix, what a truly compassionate post, it almost made me cry. Concerned that you are struggling though, could I suggest trying to adapt your thinking re: ‘the end of this’ approaching? Do you think if you could start to think in terms of ‘the beginning of the rest of your life’ approaching, it might make things easier? After all, if we wish to maintain what we have achieved, there is no going back to old patterns of eating. As your eight weeks will be up soon, maybe start planning you strategy going forward, so that you have a game plan to keep that new suit fitting beautifully in the weeks and months to come.

Amz, there really is no need to be pushing yourself so hard on the exercise front. The fact you are doing any is enough. Those outfits for you and your daughter sound fabulous and having a great dress and a special event to work towards, make good motivators.

My scales showed a small decrease today, but I still have more to achieve, so let’s get this done together folks.

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

Thanks for your concern SunnyB, it’s not so much the end of this way of eating, I have tasted the light, more the end of a period of absolute control. If I stuck to this rigid calorie intake beyond the 8 weeks, I would probably pop out the other end of the BMI spectrum before long. It is like going for a long walk in the mountains, you feel great all day full of energy but once you can see your destination the weariness sets in. The wonders of the day are behind you and beginning to fade from memory, and its always just a bit further than you think to your goal. You begin to realise that once you get there reality bites and you are going to have to deal with all of the stuff you had been able to ignore.
    I have a plan, I will still have a smaller amount of fat to shift and muscles to build, and I am looking forward to having more energy to do the things I love. But I am fearful that once that control is gone, and a greater food freedom sets in I will return to a prior place of making poor choices.
    But I have learned a lot in a short period of time. Food is fuel, not a love replacement. Listen to my body, it’s pretty good at determining if I am hungry or need a hug. Take time to walk, the impact from walking keeps the bones strong. Watch the carbs, they are sneaky little devils.
    I have finally lived the truth of a saying I saw pinned to a tree in a Buddhist temple in North-East Thailand 20 years ago and I don’t want to go back: Eat to live, don’t live to eat.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Really pleased you have a plan for managing your maintenance. I understand now, that you are just eager to get to the end of this initial phase and get on to the business of living in harmony with food on a long term basis. I believe you are well equipped to transition without falling back into old patterns and of course, you have all of us here to help you …. assuming you will remain with us. We are hoping you will stick around and continue to be part of the community, offering advice and support to newcomers.

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

Sticking around here is an important part of the plan, getting the support and inspiration from you guys and if I can help others in any small way, that should help me keep on track.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi all, I’m in for another week too. After my 36 hr fast, I am back down to 92.1kg, so the 1.5kg damage from being sick seems to have been reversed. The scales even thought about registering me at 91.9kg for a second before flipping back up. So I’m going to try to be really committed this week and see if I can shift down towards 90kg. Getting below that would be a significant milestone, but I’m not sure I can get there in just one week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Angelsand, don’t be too hard on yourself !! You have a major victory to celebrate in your personal life and torturing yourself is not helpful or good for your well being. Don’t dwell on the negatives. Here you are now , you haven’t let yourself down, you have been brave and determined !! You have made the decision to return , you know what to do so look forwards, not backwards ! We are here to support you !! PhoenixBurns is so right.You don’t need to hurt yourself anymore.

Phoenix, don’t go away ! This is not the end, just the beginning ! The fact that you have changed your attitude to food will stand you in good stead so you don’t need to fear losing control. I accept that processed and high carb foods are no longer part of my life but I don’t feel deprived at all because there are so many more healthy options available which are good for me. We love your posts and contribution to the thread !
    Not long till the family wedding now ! Have you bought your suit yet ?

Bryla, take that non scale victory !! Don’t let anything derail you. You maybe know that I don’t weigh that often but I concentrate more on my clothes feeling comfortable and the fact that I can tramp around a foreign city without discomfort 😉

Amz ! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself ! You don’t have to punish yourself to get results. Maybe concentrate on establishing good, sustainable habits with your food choices so you don’t get derailed in difficult moments ? Your vintage dresses sound fab ! I love hearing you motivated and positive ! Just keep going and stay with us .

Good to see things are going well for you articfox ! You will reach that milestone ! You are adjusting well to fasting too ! Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney have written about the benefits of low carb on athletic performance.

Look forward to seeing everyone checking in !
    Sixturkeys !!! Come and talk to us !
    Sunny has called out to Budgie . Fly over to us, Budgie ! We will help you beat those demons xx
    Looking forward to another delightful post from Yowzer !
    MumofStig are you ok ? Capricornia ? Red-Riding ? Kimeliz where have you gone ?
    QueenHLK ? How are you doing ? Remember you have support on here
    Gill33Uk have you been chaffle making ? I have ( with ground up tiger nuts from Valencia !)
    SunnySideUp how are you doing ? Did you break that plateau ?
    Hello Olive_1 ! Come back to us after your holiday !
    Hi caronl , JGwen and all our ‘regulars ‘ .I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone.

I have to go into hospital for a little op tomorrow which means an overnight stay so I won’t be able to post for a couple of days . Sunny will be around as always providing lots of support and encouragement. I will be back very soon xxx

• posted by DoubleDutch
    on

Hi all,
    First, all of you: thanks for all the input on this forum! I’ve been lurking since I started on January 6th and Wendy finally convinced me to come forward!!
    I’m SO in for this week. It’s W7D2 for me and I’ve discarded over 10 kilos now.

I’m tall, 1m82 and my current weight is 103.2. I aim for around 90 kilos, but I take it step by step. So, double digits first!

I struggle to stay under 800 and usually end up around 900. I walk and exercise a lot, I’m currently at 35 grams of carbs and still in deep ketosis according cheap breathalyzer. Will try 40 next week.

I love this WOE, my mental addiction to chocolate is still not over, but I successfully resist. So far, except for a few days with 1200 calories, but still low carb, I’ve been on the wagon. No alcohol or non BSD foods. My energy has been trough the roof.

So, after all this lurking, some sharing from my part!

xxx DoubleDutch

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi SunnyB and Bryla,
    A quote from Megan Ramos, IDM Program Director for Dr Fung may be helpful – (remember being low enough in carbs so you are in ketosis is having the same impact on your hormones as fasting)

“While you’re fasting your body produces human growth hormone (HGH) that can help you build muscle and rebuild bone mass. I have always noticed that women gain a significant amount of muscle and bone mass when they start fasting. This is fantastic because we want to be strong and sturdy as we age. The one catch is muscle and bone come with a mass. A lot of women will come in dancing because they’ve dropped three dress sizes, but then end up in tears when they step on the scale and see the number really hasn’t shifted that much. In some cases, it has even gone up. Often a woman’s view of her success is tied to the scale more than anything else, but the scale is often very misleading. If you’re pants falling off, then you’re clearly losing the bad stuff – body fat.”

————————————–
    Hi Phoenix, what I have learned about transiting into maintenance is that the key to success is continuing to keep carbs low and increase the calories from healthy fat. Facebook groups which are people who stick to a keto diet recommend working out the number of calories you need for your daily maintenance, (excluding exercise) as the base line for the number of calories, and just use the calorie defect from exercise to discard fat when you need to.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

DoubleDutch, a warm welcome to you, good to have you on board. You’re doing really well and it is a good idea to work to mini goals, as that gives a sense of achievement when you hit them. So having ‘getting into double figures’ as you next goal is a good one to aim for and it shouldn’t be too long before we’re celebrating that win with you.

JGwen, thank you for the quote, it certainly makes me more comfortable about my current situation. I will still be looking to get back to goal weight, but will perhaps be a bit less anxious about doing so.

Finally, thank you for the comprehensive post Wendy, we wish you well for tomorrow. I will endeavour to take care of the thread whilst you are unable to and we’ll look forward to you coming back to us very soon.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi there, DoubleDutch! What great progress for you so far.
    Really looking forward to seeing your dress, Amz. Sounds beautiful and I know you are going to feel a million dollars in it.
    Don’t worry, Wendleg, not feeling remotely ‘dereailable’ at the moment. Hoping I can remain in my current state of embracing the whole experience with curiosity and a good dose of humour. 1.5lbs had gone this morning. Thank you for the info, JGwen – I really do find this all fascinating – and incredibly logical when you and others open our eyes to the research and theory. Whatever I look like and what size I might or might not end up wearing, I firmly believe it would take something quite extraordinary to make me jeopardise feeling better physically and mentally than I can ever remember. And my pants (even in the UK sense) really are falling off, which is amazing, if slightly undermining of my sense of authority at times! Actually looking forward to buying some clothes – unheard of – that I like, rather than ones that will hide me.
    I do sympathise, PhoenixB. Although I won’t be ready for maintenance at the end of 8 weeks, I have thought about it a bit because it won’t be that much longer and realised that a really strict regime can give me sense of security, even if it is onerous at times. You mentioned a while back that there were some changes coming up for you, so it sounds like you will be making the adjustment to maintenance with plenty of other things going on, which can’t be an easy prospect. But it is you, and each of us, who have been making the good choices all along, not the BSD, and I am confident we can continue to do that, even with a bit more freedom, with a bit of help from each other.
    All good wishes for tomorrow, Wendleg. Well done, everyone!

• posted by PhoenixBurns
    on

Good luck tomorrow Wendy. First attempt at suit shopping on Friday! Quite excited about it really.

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Such great support on here x thanks so much already for the positive messages.

Day 2 done and ive tried so hard with the water today. Eaten well and sticking to the two meals format really. My urge to snack is hard to break but ive done it so far.
    Was going to ask what peoples thoughts are on the small Graze boxes of peas/corn and beans. Are these best to avoid totally? 139 cals and 16g of carbs I think.

Anyway heading into day 3 and still torturing myself with how i used to look and yes its not productive. :0(
    My overall aim is 9st 7lb i think. Will post my weight on Friday morning… X thanks everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Angelsand, sounds like you’re doing fine. Prob ably best to avoid the Graze boxes. If you think in terms of 800 calories, 139 is quite a considerable chuck of that and that’s before you consider the carbs. Don’t know what level of carbs you are aiming for, but even at 100g 16g is still will over 10%. Would suggest if you need a little snack, go for a few unsalted nuts … almonds or walnuts are good, or even a small portion of full fat yogurt and some seeds or berries.

Why not set yourself a mini goal to aim for, so that you have something other than what you used to weigh, to focus on? It helps to make the while thing feel more doable and gives you something to celebrate as you go along. I’m sure you’ll have something good to report on Friday.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone. Welcome back to Wendy.Ive been havent been posting for a while.I got completely involved with going back to work with no time to post or even plan really good meals.I stayed off the scales and I ate quite a lot off plan.mimi muffins.bread etc etc.Today Im surprised to be down to 86.7kg a good 1kg down.I think the extra activity of work has done the job.today Im resetting the meal plans and imagining how good it would be if , sorryu when I get the meal plan and the work in sync yesterday a friend that I havent seen for a while insisted that I look fabulous and skinny .I don’t believe her but I did feel my pants are a bit looser.I hope everyone is progressing.Have a great day.

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

I stayed pretty much on plan… Though maybe over calories slightly since I added some avocado to dinner at the last minute, but I think it will be okay. I took today as a rest day from my workouts; it was actually supposed to be tomorrow, but I wasn’t feeling well so I switched it. Still trying to up my water intake, but doing good otherwise.
    I hope Wendy is okay and looking forward to hearing her encouraging nudges again soon.
    207.6 (2/15), 206.2 (2/16), 204 (2/17), 202.2 (2/18)

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for the cheerleading, Wendy. I hope your proceedure goes well.
    JGwen, thanks for the reminder about what is happening when the scales don’t go down but we get slimmer. I sure hope I’m building muscle mass as that will help with rebuilding my metabolism. I’ve been looking more into iron deficiency literature as well as I was a bit depressed that my metabolism seems so slow and that if I go off piste, I can regain so much so quickly, and it occurred to me that a lot of the symptoms that come with iron deficiency seemed similar to metabolic rate slowing down due to calorie restriction, and of course they are exactly the same. The body does not have enough oxygen delivered to cells or enough iron to turn fat into ATP through the electron transport chain, so it is really similar to eating less calories or triggering an insulin response all the time as the body cannot access energy in fat stores, but for a different reason. Likely why I absolutely crave carbohydrates when I’m low iron and can’t stop eating them.
    My ‘pants’ are not falling down at the moment, but really that is only because the ones I’m wearing at the moment for work are some ones that I purchased in ‘curvy’ form so that they fit smaller in the waist and larger in the hips and legs. I was thrilled to find them as I’ve always struggled to find a good fit in trousers. The waist was a bit too snug before Christmas, but is now fairly loose. I’m only disappointed that they don’t do this curvy fit in smaller sizes 🙁 . They also seem to be fitting looser through the leg though, so I decided to try on my next goal trousers this evening which are nice brown wool ones with a very non-stretch satin lining, so I can really tell better than with stretchy ones if I’ve lost even some mm rather than inches. They do seem to be fitting a bit better through the leg. I dare not sit down in them yet though, so a ways to go before I can wear them. I would love to be able to fit into them before the weather warms up, otherwise it will be fall before I will get any use out of them.
    On a food note, one of the things I was craving when I was sick, for some unknown reason was macaroni cheese. I found some shiritaki penne when doing my food shop at the weekend and decided to try making a low carb macaroni cheese. All I can say is that I really don’t recommend it. Think I will stick to cauliflower cheese from now on.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all! Just a quick check-in from sunny Tenerife. Holiday is going great – eating and drinking less so. It’s really a high carb world out here! So difficult to stay away from temptations and make good choices when eating out most of the time.
    Anyway, I did decide already when starting this WOE in Jan that I would give myself a break this week, so will deal with whatever it brings when I’m back home.
    Angelsand – I’m so impressed by you getting yourself and daughters out of bad situation, that takes true strength, courage and a lot of energy. It’s no wonder that you have a backlash some time after when you all are safe. Don’t see it as a failure. You are doing great for starting again!
    Take care all!

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Morning all W5D1 and I put on 2lbs this week 🙁
    I had Saturday off as my husband, son cooked a valentines diner for me and Daughter in law, one of the M&S specials, so we had a 3 course meal and Prosecco, it was very nice but back on track now so fingers crossed I will have shifted that by next Wednesday. I have gone down another inch off my waist and hips, I really wish I had taken measurements when I started but waited until week 3.
    I am away for 8 days from next Thursday, off to Sunny Spain and really looking forward to the break and some winter sun!
    Welcome back Angelsand, best of luck to you, I am reasonably new and this forum are great for support and advice.
    I am having the same problem with my jeans! It’s nice in one way but wish they were not so baggy round the thighs and backside! I can also take the off without unbuttoning then when before Christmas they were so uncomfortable I couldn’t wear them!
    I do like chaffles! Only done them Garlic Bread style and plain for breakfast so far, but am going to get more adventurous!
    Welcome back and thanks for the encouragement and good luck with your op, wishing you a speedy recovery.
    Best of British everyone for the week ahead.

• posted by TheBudgie
    on

Hi,

Though it is sad to be back in one way, it was nice of SunnyB and sixturkeys to remember me with warm affection and welcome me back. so hello to everyone new and old!

Second day and already feel rough!

Budgie
    \I/ \I/

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to have you on the weekly thread, Budgie. Stick with it, be gentle with yourself and the ‘carb flu’ will pass in a few days. Looking forward to reading about your progress and am confident that you be reporting good things soon.
    Articfox, those lovely brown trousers will see use before the fall. You’re making great progress.
    Butterlover, good progress seems that extra exercise has paid off.
    Gill, I’m sure you’ll get that small gain kicked into touch on no time.
    Amz, pleased you gave yourself a break on the exercise front. Congrats on those results too, you’re doing great!👍
    Olive, enjoy the rest of your break and come back to us once you’re home again.
    Keep on keeping on …..

• posted by Naelle
    on

Hey all! I am new to this all and starting today! Hope I am successful with this program. Any tips for newbies would be greatly appreciated.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome to the weekly thread, Naelle, good to have you on board. It takes awhile to get your head around fats not being the enemy anymore, so there is a bit of a learning curve at the beginning. Important thing to remember is to avoid carby foods, drink plenty as hydration is important and weight, measure and record all you consume and yourself too, so you can see your progress.
    You can use the search box in the top right corner of the page, to look for posts on particular topics. However, please shout if you have any specific questions and someone will respond.
    We’ll look forward to being part of your journey and to reading about your progress.

• posted by Naelle
    on

Thanks Sunny
    Will definitely use your tips. Looking forward to this journey!

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all, this is my first week and I need some moral support. Have been sticking rigorously to the diet, am on day 3 and am starving and exhausted. Having weighed myself, I’ve only lost 1/4 of a pound. I can deal with that, as I expect the weight loss may show on the scales later, but any tips on how to combat the hunger would be most gratefully received. Thanks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Russianroulade and a warm welcome to the weekly thread. Sorry you are struggling, but the hunger and exhsustuon is your body demanding the carbs it’s been used to.

Try to make sure you are including plenty of fat on yoir meals, this will make you feel full for longer. Hydration is also important, so when the hunger strikes, have a drink – water, coffee or tea perhaps. As long as you are holding down your daily intake of carbs, if you desperately need a BSD friendly snack, allow yourself a few extra cals and have something small. In the scheme of things it won’t make any difference to your end result – this is a marathon not a sprint. As your body adjusts, there will be days when you’re below 800 cals, so it will all balance out.

Stick with it and come and vent to us whenever you need to. It will get easier though and those pounds will soon start to drop.

• posted by SineadinCH
    on

Hello everyone- I am new too. @russianroulade I am genuinely going to bed earlier so I’m not tempted! I feel absolutely exhausted today, so much so that I had a 2hr nap, although I have a young baby so I can’t blame the diet completely!

I read a lot of advice on here and one common story is it’s the carbs that really matter. The last two days I have been aiming for 35g carb per day whereas I would have only looked at calories before. Protein and good fats fill you up for longer. The MyFitnessPal app is brilliant for helping with this.

We will do this x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome to the weekly thread, SineadinCH. You seem to have a good handle on what you should be doing. This phase of hunger and fatigue will soon pass … once you are through it, you’ll probably find you have more energy than before, which will be useful with a baby to look after. You’re pitching your carbs at a good level, so you should soon be reporting good discards. Please be sure to keep us posted on your progress and yell if you have any questions.

• posted by AmzTheBeautiful
    on

Hello. Still doing okay. Did a short workout today. I’m going to the doctor tomorrow because I think I have a pinched nerve in my thigh and it is kinda painful now. I am struggling a lot less than I was, but I do feel hungry, especially at night; I am going to try to go to bed earlier anyway since I am constantly exhausted staying up to 3-5 AM, so hopefully that will help. Upping my water as proven to be quite a challenge, but I will keep working on it. I would like to start aiming for under 20g carbs again.
    WEEK ONE: 207.6 (2/15), 206.2 (2/16), 204 (2/17), 202.2 (2/18), 200.2 (2/19)

• posted by JGwen
    on

Welcome to the newcomers.
    One of the reasons for the tiredness could be a need for extra salt. – Our bodies store water to help it process carbs, as our body releases that stored water it releases electrolytes. which we need to replace. This initial stage is often referred to as keto flu. It passes after a few days.

The reason for the hunger is that the bacteria in our gut which digest sugar have the ability to send signals to our brain. They really want us to eat carbs because if we don’t they starve. – This type of bacteria are the fastest to die off if you don’t feed them. They are also the bacteria that are the worst for our bodies, responsible for causing inflammation. So it can be helpful to imagine any hunger feelings as being the little voice of these bacteria, and again, after a little time this phase will end.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope you get on okay at the Doc’s, Amz. I’m sure an early night will help with the tiredness. Think you’re doing amazingly well, those are excellent results for week one, no need to pressure yourself to get down to 20g carbs unless you are really keen to get down there. Keep posting, it’s good to know how you are getting along.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just thought I’d let you all know, that I have heard Wendy came through her op just fine and she’s hoping to be posting again very soon. I know you will all join me in wishing her a speed recovery.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

That is wonderful to hear. Wishing you a speedy recovery Wendy

• posted by caronl
    on

Thanks SunnyB. Good to hear that Wendy is ok, and wishing a speedy recovery. X

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hi newcomers and returners! Just thought I would share my own experience of starting out. The first few days were by far the hardest – it really does get easier. RussianRoulade – not only did I not lose anything in the first 3 days, but I gained a few pounds, which I think was down to all the extra fluid I was drinking (I was ragingly thirsty for a while). I know it’s hard to be patient, but you should be chuffed to bits and feeling good in a few more days’ time (don’t compare yourself to anyone else). And honestly, any sense of hunger and tiredness does subside. There is a lot of mental and emotional energy involved in getting started with this WOE and that is exhausting too! Looking back I now realise that I was asking my body to make some really big changes and it was working hard on that long before anything was obvious in terms of weight or inches. As others have mentioned, having extra salt made me feel so much better after feeling yuck for a few days – I still have to remind myself to add it, or I do feel a bit off again quite quickly. You can do this. I loved the Buddhist quote someone else shared on one of the threads recently “If you are facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep on walking”. Couldn’t be more apt – and everyone here will be walking alongside you.

• posted by Angelsand
    on

Day 4 and admit to struggling today. My friend lost her battle with cancer yesterday and its rocked me. My divorce and financial settlement is causing me lots of stress too.

These arent excuses and im trying to remain strong as i will be so upset to break from it now. Have felt so much better this week.
    Trying to keep away from the fridge. Might have a bit of chicken and a coffee 😊
    Hope you are all doing well xxxx

• posted by Gill33UK
    on

Good Afternoon Anglesand
    I am very sorry to hear about your friend and your divorce etc. try and stick to it, you will feel so much better, Chicken and Coffee sound like an excellent choice. Big Hugs xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Big hugs to you Angelsand, sorry to read about your friend. You’ve certainly got a lot going on at the moment, so not surprising you are struggling. Do your best to stick with it … chicken and coffe works fine. Be gentle with yourself though and we’re here, so come and vent if you need to.

on

I had a hard time last night… Started a new job a couple days ago and trainer chewed me out, basically threatening to fire me since I was inexperienced. Right after that I was sent you the store for desserts for the family and man was I tempted to pig out on some sweets… But I just settled on snacking on a fruit, meat, and cheese tray I made. I reasoned with myself about the progress I have made in just one week and the workouts I have successfully been completing; I didn’t want am that effort to go to waste so I’m very happy I thought off the attack of stress eating. I’m about to go to my doc appt so I decided to fast to this afternoon; I’ll eat after exercising a little later. Well wishes and hugs to everyone; let’s keep moving forward one step at a time.
    WEEK ONE: 207.6 (2/15), 206.2 (2/16), 204 (2/17), 202.2 (2/18), 200.2 (2/19), 199.6 (2/20)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Amz, that sounds like really abysmal behaviour from your trainer… well done you on not responding with old eating patterns and sticking to your plan. You have done amazingly in a week, getting under the 200lb market is great.

Hope your Doc’s appointment goes well and keep right on doing what you’re doing, ‘cos it’s working.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. I am out of the hospital and am convalescing with the cats plonked on top of me as I catch up on sleep ! This op was actually linked to weight discard. I will explain… I discovered a ‘mass/lump’ in my abdomen which I initially thought was just muscle reemerging after being submerged under a considerable amoun of belly fat. A scan and consultation revealed I had a Spiegel Hernia ( no, I had never heard of it either !) So I had keyhole surgery to repair the opening in the abdominal wall.Not too invasive but a bit sore and I have to wear a corset/belt for a while and of course no aqua gym or yoga for at least a month. I reckon I had probably had this hernia for some time but it only became apparent when the belly fat decreased.

Anyway I am taking it easy at home but will be more active on the thread . Thanks as always to Sunny who welcomes new members so warmly. It is great to see new people joining us.xxx
    Thanks for all your good wishes !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Some people struggling right now. Sending you lots of love and support Angelsand. It’s extremely tough when you are going through so many emotions so just do your best to eat well so you can have the energy to cope with so much stress. Food really isn’t the answer when we need comfort but it’s not easy to reason like that when you are in the thick of it. It is about your health at the end of the day.
    All the very best and stay strong xxx

Yes, Amz , well done on not succombing to the sweet temptations when under stress and pressure as you were with that trainer who sounds like he needs some training himself !!!! Personal skills sadly lacking !!! Don’t give in Amz, you are doing great. Do the work outs if they make you feel good but remember not to put undue pressure on yourself. Getting control over any addictive behaviours around food will make you feel good too ! We are with you, Amz !

Budgie ! I remember you too ! Good to see you back .If I remember rightly you have Type 2 ?? How are you right now ? You know this program works and we will be here anytime you need a boost .Don’t fly away again !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Amz ….Don’t forget to let us know how you get on at the doctors xx

on

Hello… So the doctor thinks I either tore my thigh muscle or have a damaged never. I will have an MRI next month, but until then, she wants me to ice it and avoid stressing it through heavy lifting and such. I can still exercise, but I need to take it easy with squats and lunges, which is actually the basis of today’s workout. But I’ll follow as she says and hopefully, it will get better, otherwise it may lead to corrective surgery.

Please log in or register to post a reply.