Fasting hours

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Guys I wonder if you could shed some light on fasting between meals. If I remember rightly in the book Michael said about fasting for 12 hours between eating. (Can’t check my book as I have learnt it to someone🤣). It is the weekend and I know it said to have just two meals rather than three so I know I can have my full English without a worry. How long do people go between eating please. I know I have done well and I don’t want to mess it up as I am looking forward to a lazy weekend with no son or hubby to worry about😝

Thanks guys Birdy💞

• posted by Skipping through the tulips
    on

Since I’m not normally hungry in the morning I can miss breakfast. So i eat dinner between 8 and 9 and then have lunch around 1ish sometimes as late as 3 or4 of I’m really distracted.

My friend who is also doing the diet and has physically hard job eats a late big breakfast at around 11 and then tea at 7. I need to do my fasting when i’m asleep or busy!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you skipping I think I will have my full English at 12 tomorrow and then have my supper around 8ish.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sounds good, Birdy! That would be 16:8. Let us know how that works for you! During any given week,
    I switch up from 1 day of 22:2, and the other days are either 16:8 or 18:6. I’ve never mastered OMAD
    (1 meal a day) because I couldn’t ever consume 800 cal. at one time. I think keeping the body guessing
    by changing things up is a good idea. I admire others here who manage 36-48 hours fast and in some
    cases beyond, particularly for the health benefits, but so far it has eluded me. 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Birdy,

I think by fasting between meals you mean Time Restricted Eating. – The idea is that you have your evening meal by 7 and then delay having your breakfast so that you have as long as possible between meals.

Once you get used to eating low carb you will find that you don’t get as hungry, so you can skip breakfast completely and just have lunch and evening meal. So that would be 16 hours without eating and 8 hours within the day when you ate. you will see people use short hand of 16:8 – Gradually you can increase that so your eating window gets smaller and smaller.

After a time you will be able to move on to fasting which is when there is more than 24 hours between meals.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you JGwen that makes more sense as I didn’t get the numbers🤣. Coming off of nights to day I have been a bit lazy I made my self feta smashed with avo with a handful of spinach drizzle of EVOO, salt pepper and lemon juice. Couldn’t be bothered to cook🤣. I have salmon for supper and some asparagus to use up. Should I steam the salmon? Also how bad would it be to have a small G&T tonight?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Does the salmon have skin? If so, coat the skin side with a thin layer of butter and pop it in the fridge from a half hour. Rub the flesh side with salt and pepper. Cook it skin side-up under the broiler (y’all call it a grill, I believe, the thing with the heat element on top) for 8 minutes. The result is skin so deliciously crispy it’s like a potato chip and flesh that’s moist and flavorful and perfectly cooked.

Re the G&T, my advice is always the same: you have goals. Stick with the program to achieve them. You will never regret that choice.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you alliecat I never thought I would be able to fast. I remember about 4 years ago try the 5:2 and failed. I have headaches and everything not good! But this week I haven’t had one headache and the hunger has been fine. Birdy💞

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Esnecca I will try that as it sounds yum! I always wondered what broiler meant🤣🤣. I will not have a G&T tonight as you are right. I will have a sparkling water with lime and ice and pretend🤣❤️👊🏻 . I shall fry my asparagus in a little butter too. Thanks again. Birdy💞

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Birdy, the reason I said about skipping breakfast is because its easiest to include the period you are sleeping in the fasting time.
    It doesn’t have to be breakfast you skip. If you are working nights then increase the time gap between your last meal and when you go to bed, and the time gap between getting up and having your first meal. The longer the period you can go without eating the longer without a spike in your insulin.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Esnecca my salmon was delicious! I have never eaten the skin before as I always found it too fishy, my fur babies usually get but it was scrumptious tonight, thank you.

JGwen sounds like a plan. When on nightshift I eat my last meal at 3.30 am and finish work at 7. I come home and cook my son his breakfast, see him off to school and then go to bed. I aim to get back up between 1-2pm and that is when I eat my breakfast.so that is at least 10:hours fasting. If I am going back onto nights then I don’t eat again until midnight so another 10hours between eating, but I think I will have wait now until 3.30 am otherwise I am eating 3 hours later. When I go back to normal waking hours I will aim to eat brunch at 12 and then should I eat at 8pm? This will then consist of only two meals, is thus correct? Or can you advise me how I can get three meals in if needed. Thank you Birdy💞

• posted by Esnecca
    on

My apologies to the furkids for depriving them, but it was worth it for Momma to get such a lush dinner. I’ve been known to ask my local fresh seafood purveyors if they had any scaled skin cleaned off fillets. They don’t often (they don’t usually bother to scale the fish they plan to strip), but when they do they sell it to me cheap and I make batches of delicious salmon skin chips topped with smoked salt flakes.

• posted by alliecat
    on

I want to try this, Essie! How far should the salmon be from the broiler? I buy fresh wild salmon 2 x wk,
    but I’ve never been satisfied with way the skin turns out. I think you have this (why should that EVER
    surprise me?) FYI: Eden black soybeans still being used here, along with Gold Mine Natural Foods
    products. I’ll be enslaved by your kimchi deviled eggs for the rest of my existence.

JGwen, we need to find a way to spread the word on the difference between a true “Fast” (24hr time
    period) and TRE. Some newbies think eating 800 cal a day represents a “fast”.! Your definition is clear
    and simple, and I hope it clears things up for those that don’t understand the difference. I think I use the
    term “intermittent fasting” interchangeably with TRE, but I like your explanation much better. Thanks!
    I will be using that terminology in the future.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

About two inches, Allie. The cooling period in the fridge is essential or else the butter melts instantly under the high heat of the broiler and runs down the sides. You want it to coat the skin for as long as possible to make the crispy magic happen. Wild-caught salmon is a staple for us too and this is the only method I’ve ever found of making the skin worth eating.

Oh hey, I found a reliable source of dried soybeans, both black and yellow. I always keep Eden Foods canned ones in stock and use them all the time in salads and dips, but for long cooks like chili nothing beats reconstituted dried. I also love having the yellow as a white bean replacement in soups.
    https://www.shilohfarms.com/yellow-soybeans-organic/
    https://www.shilohfarms.com/black-soybeans-organic/

I’m happy to hear you’re as hooked on kimchi deviled eggs as I am. I’ve made them for numerous guests now and they’re always the first thing to disappear. I also try new krauts every time I happen across them. My most recent discovery is Hosta Hill Gochu Curry Kraut. It’ll make the room stink to high heaven as soon as you open it, but wow is it delicious. http://www.hostahill.com/store/gochu-curry-kraut

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Hi if I eat at 12 today then that is 16 hours since my last meal which was just after 8pm last night. Don’t really feel hungry but the habit of wanting/needing to eat is there so it is in my mind🤣. Would you guys leave it longer if you are not actually hungry? Cheers Birdy💞

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Sure! It’s part of the liberation of this WOE that hunger no longer descends like a pack of wolves. Might as well ride it out and extend your low-insulin fasted state. As long as you’re not diabetic, there’s no imperative driving you to eat when you don’t feel like it.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you Esnecca I ate at 12.30 in the end and then went for a two mile dog 🐕 walk🤣🤣

Please log in or register to post a reply.