Fast 800 Vegan

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Citykittie78
    on

Is it possible to undertake the 8 weeks as a vegan?
    I’ve read the book but the recipes are vague about the portion sizes/weight of the protein for me to modify at home.

• posted by Arran Granny
    on

There are some really good Vegan cookbooks an Amazon – some free for Kindle. I suppose all you can do is work out the calorific value of your protein which will be on any packaging.

• posted by Citykittie78
    on

Thanks Arran,

I have plenty of recipes but using the recipes in the8* week Blood Sugar Diet book they don’t specify weights of protein in the recipes, so I’m not sure what I’m substituting for… ie: 1 chicken breast – this can be from 100g – 300g depending on supplier

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Citykittie
    Hope you’re doing ok. I think you just have to guess! Eg with chicken breast- take the middle weight and substitute that. We really all a bit in the dark about those sort of details.
    Penny

• posted by wagtail
    on

Hi am interested in hearing how vegans are getting on . I have just bought the book online. I know that many traditional sources of protein for vegans have more carbs in compared with meat and fish and cheese which have none or very few.

• posted by rachluvsbhg
    on

Hi all. I’ve been following the bsd for 10 days and have lost 4lb eating around 1000-1100 calories per day. I do struggle to get down to 800. I’m prob not deemed overweight (start weight 10 stones height 5’4) but I am sick of my diet/food controlling my life and I am really sick of feeling so lethargic and tired. I can’t believe how well I am feeling just a few days after changing my diet. I’m not starving which is one of my major issues that I’ve developed over my 30 years as a dieter (I’m 46 now) and my energy levels are improving. Here is a bit of an idea of what I’m eating as a vegan (mainly vegan tbh);
    Breakfast; soy protein 70 cals with coco milk 50 cals and whole earth peanut butter 130 cals = 250 cals
    Lunch; home made veg soup (onion, celeriac, carrots, cabbage, Brussels, stock,) or tomato soup (roast toms, carrots, leek in the oven until soft and then blend adding stock and seasoning such as basil, ginger, cumin, coriander) – each soup serving is approx 100, which I have with salad 50 cals with olives 100 cals and avocado 100-150 = 250-300 cals. Total lunch 350-400.
    Dinner; homemade Thai curry (onion, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, butternut squash, carrot, courgettey spaghetti), stir fry and add a tin of coconut milk with some Thai green curry paste, add cherry toms towards end of cooking to let them just soften – approx 300 cals per serving (makes at least 3 servings) or
    butternut squash (bns) stew – stir fry onion, cubed bns, chopped peppers until bns soft. Add 2x tins of chopped tomatoes, mix peanut butter (60-70g) with stock (between 1-1.5 litres) and simmer until bns cooked. Add ginger, cumin, chilli powder to taste – approx 300 cals per serving (makes at least 4 servings or
    Black bean burgers – drain tin of bb’s but retain some liquid and do not rinse. Mix in food processor with breadcrumbs (I use 1 slice of hovis seed sensations) and shape into four patties then place in the fridge for at least an hour before frying in coconut oil. You can also add in shredded carrots or courgette any veg really when mixing. Each patties inc oil is approx 200 cals. I have them with veg or salad.
    Snacks – I have Brazil nuts almonds in the afternoon – approx 30g which is around 200 cals.

Hope this helps – good luck everyone! I’ll post more recipes as I adapt them from my general recipes.

• posted by rachluvsbhg
    on

Forgot to add that I do take daily supplements to support my mainly vegan diet; omega 3,6,9 capsule and a multi vitamin for vegans/veggies.

• posted by Pulp
    on

I’m vegan and gluten free as I have coeliac disease, I’ve just bought the book and am keen to start. I too am struggling to see how to substitute. There are quite a few veggie recipies, but not vegan. Anyone know what Michael classes as ‘low carb’ in grams? I’m concerned that the amount of legumes, pulses, soya yoghurt and tofu I will substitute will be far from low carb.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Hi Pulp, keeping under 50g of carbs is what the book recommends

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Pulp. there is no level set in the book, but this forum early on found settled on the 50g level as one that most non-veggies were losing weight on. I am vegetarian not vegan, and found 50g to be very challenging and I was getting leg cramps that did not go away.
    I settled on 60g a day aiming to get 40-45g protein from veg, pulses, nuts, seeds, dairy and some soya. I lost nearly 16kg in 10 weeks and the first 2 weeks I used Shakes (without realising they were high carb) and had 100-120 a day! There was someone else who was eating 80g carbs a day and was getting his FBS down from diabetic easily.
    For a vegan diet, I would try 60-70g a day as a starter. The carbs you are eating are all slow release so will not cause BS spikes which is what MM is trying to get us away from. I recently read a Rose Elliot book that covered how to do an Atkins diet for veggies (I would not recommend it) but she had a comment about how to count carbs – using net carbs which are carbs minus the fibre. This actually lowers the carb value of pulses etc. I have wondered if that is why I was losing 2kg a week on 60g carbs as a good proportion were seeds and pulses, so all high fibre. It is an interesting possibility, but gets far too complex to maintain that level of food monitoring! I just stick to the higher carbs level.
    Hope that helps and good luck. There are a few forums that the non-meat eaters have started that may be of interest to you as well.
    The main thing is to follow the foods that he says to avoid, aim for around 800 cals and adjust weekly as you get settled into the diet. Plan a few days ahead using that approach and see what the carbs are coming up to.

• posted by JenniferG
    on

I am going to calculate the macronutrient info for each recipe in the book, or has this already been done? If it hasn’t I’ll put it all in one document and share. It would have been useful I think if the book included that already. e.g. total grams of carbs, net grams of carbs, protein grams and fat grams.

• posted by Pulp
    on

Thanks for the replies 🙂

• posted by Way of life
    on

Hi. Been doing a bit of reading on here regarding BSD for vegans.
    Are the following acceptable?
    Coyo Coconut yogurt
    Tofu?
    I’m eating nuts and seeds
    Struggling with knowing what to eat to fill me up.
    Thank you

Please log in or register to post a reply.