Fast 800 & PCOS

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by vikki444
    on

HI all

I bought the book today after what seems like months of googling the best diets for insulin / pcos

I have tried every diet under the sun but always fall off the wagon due to slow results, and frustrating slow compared to others who follow the same diet as myself. In fact the most consistent diet i tried was the 5/2 but i found by the end i was dreading the 500kcal days coming.

Reading the book im impressed by the science so keen to embark. Im 30 years old and have a 4 yr old son and looking to shift some weight to see if it helps with having another child too

Any top tips anyone can share??
    Im better when i have lots of smaller meals throughout the day and keen to get rid of sugar cravings after meals 🙂

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The good news is you’re tackling this early. I have PCOS and spent my 20s and 30s steadily gaining weight even though I ate what I thought was healthy food (the whole grain/complex carb thing, you know). By my 40s, I was on the wrong side of 300 pounds. I’m almost 45 now. I started the BSD in August of last year and have lost more than 100 pounds, so I can tell you it works.

My advice to you (other than a small change to your macronutrient settings that I mentioned in the other thread) would be to measure and weight everything, at least in the beginning. I would also suggest you try to stick with three meals a day at first. I’m not a breakfast person and never have been, so I actually do 16:8 intermittent fasting, which means I eat two meals a day between noon and 8:00 PM. I don’t graze at all because I simply don’t want to. Two meals of 350-400 calories fill me up to the brim. You’d be amazed how quickly your body’s needs and wants change on the BSD. Keep an open mind and go with the flow.

Good luck and welcome!

• posted by Sim14k
    on

Hi Vikki

I’m 29 with PCOS and have family history of diabetes so I understand and empathise with fellow PCOSisters! In terms of what could potentially work is sticking to plenty of water and moderate exercise most days (5-6). Doesn’t have to be a lot but one of the things I have started doing is minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a day even if it is just a brisk walk.

Also I have always believed i regular smaller meals but I read somewhere (either in the book or in one of the forums) that having no snacks / sticking to three meals will allow the body to use the stored fat as energy. Of course the flip side of the argument is that smaller meals means active metabolism. Perhaps try one method one week and compare results? Also – the first 30mins of waking up, try having warm lemon water. That also boosts your metabolism. Also completely agree with Esnecca – it’s amazing how quickly the body adapts!

I’m only on week one (Day 7) and have lost 1.5kg (about 3.5 pounds) which is good for me as usually it’s 1kg per month! It’s of course no where as dramatic as some of the people on the forum but good for me. My starting weight was 74.5 and my ideal weight would be in the 60-63kg region.

Good luck x

• posted by vikki444
    on

Thanks ladies I’ve read loads re pcos over the years I was diagnosed about 7yrs ago but always struggled with weight since my boy I’ve literally just watched it go up however there seems to be more and more info coming out the woodwork re insulin and the link to diabetes so this diet seemed perfect I lost 5lbs in the first week which is unheard of!! Im trying the 16:8 and then as little carbs as possible really
    My new spiraliser is my new best friend lol
    I’ve also been told more recently to have my thyroid checked as that is common in pcos however I’m trying to get in touch with a homeopath to help as I know once they start you in thyroxin you have to take it for the rest of your life!!

• posted by sunnysandy
    on

Hi Esnecca, I was ‘referred’ to you by Alliecat. My daughter has pocs, ibs, learning disability, insulin and leptin resistance. I am told that you have lost a massive amount of weight with this diet and have managed to keep it off as well. I would love to hear from you as it has been daunting for me.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Sunnysandy, I just caught your post on this thread. I wanted to let you know that the brilliant Esnecca
    has been off the boards and taking a break for the past 5 or 6 weeks. If she is reading but not
    posting and sees your post, I know that she will respond. We are both Americans, and as co-incidence
    would have it, we live within an hour of each other! There are many others that have been asking after
    her as well. We’ve chatted by phone and email each other occasionally, so the next time I hear from
    her I’ll pass along your daughter’s story. You are an amazing “Mum”!

Allie

• posted by Sophie99
    on

I’m glad you’ve found the diet! I have PCOS too and like you, tried everything with little to no results. I also started with 5:2 and lost a few pounds but unfortunately found myself overcomensating or justifying “treats” on the regular eating days. The BSD has been amazing, I’m 4 weeks in, 15lb down and way past what I thought my body’s limits were. My tip would be make sure you’re getting plenty of healthy fats within the calorie limit 🙂

• posted by K8ty
    on

Hello fellow PCOSers. My greatest fear is that like other diets after starving and working so hard you don’t see the results that others do. Your stories fill me with hope that substantial weight loss is possible. I have to lose 30 kgs and time is ticking. I am 44 and thankfully not diabetic but if I don’t shift this weight I am heading down that scary path. Plus the older I get the less likely my skin will be able to recover and I will have a lot of excessive skin. I accept that there will be some saggy bit but trying to minimise it.
    Did you keep under the 20gram of carb mark or did that not matter so much?
    Is there anyone else out still doing it or have you all just on maintenance?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Allie directed me to Josh Axe and I found his section on essential oils https://draxe.com/anti-aging-essential-oils/
    I made up the anti ageing serum which I use morning and night on my face and neck;
    equal quantities jojoba oil, pomegranate seed oil, vitamin E oil, frankincense and lavender.
    Bath time is Himalayan salt and lavender for soaking, then almond oil with lavender and frankincense for massaging all over. I don’t love the smell of frankincense but it is very healing.
    I hope that’s going to help me. You may want to look at the link I’ve posted in Take a Look at This on autophagy and bear it in mind for further down the road.
    Maggie

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi K8ty, Welcome to the community! I’ve tried in vain to locate the thread and date of Esnecca’s post when she
    reached her goal weight of approx 120lbs, but I wasn’t successful. She hasn’t been posting now for several months,
    and like you had a diagnosis of PCOS. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind me summarizing her journey from 300+lbs down to
    120lbs, as she isn’t here at the moment to do so herself. In her early 20’s she began gaining, and after 20 years she
    was (her estimate) in the vicinity of 320lbs. I know her story very well, as she knows mine. They parallel each other,
    in that it took me 17 yrs to pack on 148 lbs, though my health challenges were exacerbated by a different condition,
    not PCOS. It took me 10 months to reach an ideal weight, and she lost hers over a 14 month period. We are both
    thoroughly convinced that these successes are solely due to keeping under 20g carbs per day. We are both highly
    insulin resistant, so there wasn’y any other option for us. It’s very possible that you may be, also. Her posting history
    is both lengthy and very inspiring, so it might be helpful to you to have a look. Just type Esnecca in the search
    box at the top right.
    Very best wishes to you. I hope to see you on either the 4 wk challenge or the weekly one. Posting there is an
    excellent way to get to know a great mix of fellow members at all stages of the journey, from newbies to we
    maintainers, and I know that you’d be enthusiastically welcomed. Join us 🙂

Allie

Please log in or register to post a reply.