Falling off the wagon and being severely punished !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

Hi everyone, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I’ve been on the Fast 800 since April. Managed to shed approx 60 pounds- very happy with that and want to continue to lose another 3 stone.
    My issue is this.. I get the whole metabolic switch thing but how is it that the scales are so mean when you have a day off the plan? The last week I have stuck religiously to the 800 also fasting mostly 16 hours daily. I had one day when I had some naughty bits ( Ok, fish and chips and crumble and custard !!) and the previous week’s good work has been completely eradicated !
    I’d lost 4 pounds and then one day off and 3 of those has gone back on :-/ It was a special celebration and I enjoyed it but this Monday morning feels HARD to get my Fast 800 mojo back… Anyone else find this ?? I want to be able tot have the occasional day off ( goodness knows we need a treat atm) but it’s disheartening when a whole week’s efforts are derailed but just one day of mild naughtiness.
    I was wondering whether I should switch to the 5:2, but I really like the fast results of the 800.
    Any tips please ?

Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi PlumpGoose, I might get slated for saying this but I believe the very low calories change your metabolic reaction to food. That is not the same as your metabolism. I think it is a case that we are on a permanent low cal and when the body sees more food coming in it hangs on to it. This is probably why we are not supposed to stay on the diet for more than 12 weeks. Then we are supposed to slowly increase the calories and/or carbs so the body doesnt over-react. Another theory is that if it has been a carb that has crept into your day you can go back to the science of what carbs do and that is they drag water into your system, or at least hold on to water/fluids. This causes bloating and a percieved weight gain. In my experience, when I have said I have gained 2lbs after just one slip up people say that is not possible. I also know from experience that if I do have a slip up and a gain I can get rid of it within a day or 2 so dont worry about it too much. As long as you accept you are going to be human and give in to temptation. As long as it is 2 steps forward one back and not the other way round (1 step forward 2 steps back). you are doing the best you can.
    I am not sure the 5:2 would be the answer as it is likely that you would over indulge on the 5 days and then be playing catch up on the 2 strict days. Stick with the 800 as best you can and the results will keep coming.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Plumpgoose,

If you have been around the forum for a while you will have heard me get on my soap box. -:-) All you are seeing is that in application. Each litre of water we drink = 1 kilo = 2.2 lbs. – The advice is to drink 2 litres of water a day. So depending on where you are on your water in / water out program your weight will fluctuate by lbs.

We can’t separate our weight from the weight of the food in our digestive system. Normally, I mean this in terms that 800 calories of celery weighs much more than 800 calories of cheese.

When we eat carbs our body stores water, when we cut out the carbs our body will release that water.

Stepping off the wagon does bring in a big change with the scales. But thats just because the scales is not a good way of monitoring progress.

• posted by freester
    on

I think you probably know the answer when asking for tips. In addition to what the other posters have put your quote about having an occasional day off rang very true with me.
    You don’t say how many weeks into the 800 you are? Not sure if you’ve read the BSD or Fast 800 books. Both are pretty clear at least during the formative weeks if you’re hungry and going to snack stay on plan… Having a meal out make the right on plan choices…
    So first things first don’t beat yourself up for falling off the wagon. But do pick yourself up and get back on it. If you’re struggling to get back on maybe that’s telling you something?
    When I embarked on this WoE I remember talking to my mother (now in her 70s a yo yo dieter for as long as I can remember and now T2) who said to me “you will allow yourself a treat now and again?”. Well after 10 months (6 weeks 800 a day and now successfully maintaining) I’ve decided I won’t, or it will be very occasionally. I know myself too well, the occasional treat will become the weekly treat will become the rule not the exception. I can tell you in 10 months I’ve gone off plan 3 times and each time I planned it well in advance, and without going into details it might be one element of the meal (say dessert or main not both).
    I had to change my mindset. I don’t MISS what I shouldn’t have. I TREAT myself with on plan treats like the occasional cakes etc in the recipe books, from the low carb / keto websites, or one of my favourite mains – steak, fry up, curry, fish. I get the occasional pang when my son has something I used to like but I’ve really surprised myself how little I miss my former weaknesses like bread and potatoes. The longer I go the more my tastes have changed and I can’t see myself enjoying a lot of what I thought I couldn’t give up.
    Sorry if this seems a little tough but I really believe getting the mindset right will help all of us succeed.

• posted by freester
    on

Sorry reread your post it says you’ve been on the fast 800 since April. I think MM says you shouldn’t do more than 12 weeks on 800 then go to 5:2 or 4:3…?

• posted by PlumpGoose
    on

THank you everyone for your posts. This really is a helpful forum and I was interested in your comments. Am now on the 5;2 and am hoping for a steady weight loss to shift the remaining stones 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.