EXERCISING ON THE BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rhi1990
    on

Hi Everyone!

I’m a newbie on my 5th day of the BSD and I need some advice about working out.

I’m training for a 10k run which is in about 2 weeks but my energy levels have been so low the first few days of this diet that I haven’t been able to do any exercise as just getting through the day with the hunger pangs has been difficult. I absolutely have to do a big run this weekend and was wondering if i should up my cals slightly, not run or just grin and bear it with 800 cals.

I’ve been eating about 900 cals a day at the moment because I was getting light headed standing and needed more energy.

I’m not diabetic or pre-diabetic but I have PCOS so have a higher risk of developing it in later life. I’m 5 ft 8 and 13 st 2 currently. I was 14 stone 2 on January 1st 2017 so have already lost a stone from sticking to 1200 cals and hard exercise 5 times a week and hope to lose another 3 before summer with the BSD.

Any advice about hard work outs/ long runs on this diet will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• posted by Jande9
    on

I am no expert but I would definitely do some carb loading the night before, and then carb up on the day. It doesn’t sound like those carbs will get anywhere close to being stored as fat considering how much you are working out, and feeling faint isn’t good. I felt faint occasionally in the beginning until I upped my fluid intake which seemed to help.

Jan

• posted by AnnieW
    on

I’m not an expert I just do what I feel but unless you are actually racing (as opposed to “just” running, as I do) the 10k I personally wouldn’t do any carb loading, just make sure you’re fluid intake is sufficient. There should already be enough glycogen in your muscles for a 10k (usual reckoning is 90 mins worth). And don’t forget this way of eating should be training your body to use your fat which, without meaning to be rude, you should have enough of. There is a lot about fat adapted running around – Google/Runner’s World it. Whatever you decide remember the golden rule of not changing anything untried too close to a race – and definitely not on the day. I will be doing my usual Sunday run of at least 10k in 20 minutes on 2 cups of tea – I had a 2 egg omelette with cheese around 1830 last night, not special tea, just what I fancied, so will be running slowly (not racing) fasted. It suits me. As week as this brilliant site, there is also the NHS couch to 5k website which now also has 10k and marathon forums where you can also get good friendly information and advice. Good luck with your training and I hope the 10k goes well for you. Don’t forget, the atmosphere on the day will also give you an added boost.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I agree with AnnieW, if you are not diabetic there should be no need to carb up. Just have a good breakfast of low carbs like 2 eggs with grilled mushrooms and feta cheese. Make you sure are well hydrated and carry a small snack, like some nuts, just in case.

• posted by Jande9
    on

When you are on the 800 your glycogen levels in your muscles and liver are already depleted. That is where the water loss the first week comes from, as glycogen is glucose combined with water. You don’t start burning fat until the glycogen is down.

Carbing up the night before will help to rebuild the levels of glycogen so you will have enough accessible energy to fuel your run.

Jan

Please log in or register to post a reply.