Exercise calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Smith368
    on

Hi, just wondering when I put my food diary and exercise diary into my fitness-pal I have eaten 808 calories and the exercise has taken off 258 calories leaving a balance of 600 calories. Should I eat another 250 calories?

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi Smith368 – no I think the idea is to stick to the 800 calories intake regardless of exercise. The exercise will just help you lose weight quicker (as well as making you feel better of course!). Good luck

• posted by anthmart
    on

Hi. I am new today. Exercise and weight loss have been of interest to me for a long time and it seems difficult to get good answers about this area.
    I am a competitive, as in racing road cyclist. Anyone who does this knows that large amounts of sugars are needed to race. How can the demands of hard training and racing be incorporated into this way of eating or any way for that matter. I am already on a carb restricted sort of lifestyle now for over a year.
    The particular problem faced by athletes going all out is that they burn through all of the stored glycogen in their muscles in around an hour to an hour and a half and the only way to keep going is to shovel in a load of sugary stuff. Really just like a stream train. If you don’t give the body a high octane sugar sort of hit, it just starts to shut down on you. You have to either drop back on the effort to access fat as a fuel or your body starts to cannibalize muscle in an attempt to supply more glycogen. But in reality you just, “hit the wall” as it’s called. Your body cannot produce the fuel needed, on demand, for continued high intensity effort.
    Can a diet like the BSD be followed but allow for the needs of high intensity exercise.
    I fear that many athletes end up burning muscle when their glycogen stores are depleted. In this case you lose weight, but it’s muscle more than fat. Not a good result unless you are too bulky in the muscle department.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Anthmart
    Maybe the diet can’t accommodate that type of excercise, unless the fact that you’re already fat burning after a few days makes a difference.
    If it doesn’t then the answer must be excercise less intensively for the 8 weeks. If you have health problems it’s worth it.
    Penny

• posted by FoFi
    on

anthmart, I think that you should get some advice from someone experienced in your problem. I don’t think many on here are doing that quantity of intense exercise. I would talk to a doctor, coach, or sports scientist if I were you.

As an aside 15 years ago some friends did a rowing marathon and were advised to eat a high fat diet for several weeks in advance of the event to train their bodies to burn fat. (It is much harder to eat and drink when rowing than cycling.) They weren’t trying to win, just do a reasonable time.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi Anthmart, just noticed your post. I like to cycle but nowhere near your level or a racer. You must know about how to keep yourself going and that high intensity interval training is a scientific way to achieve fitness and increased endurance. I suppose if you are racing at or above your anaerobic threshold you will soon be spent. What sort of distances do you race, which heart rate monitor do you use and have you some weight to lose? I have always used Polar gear but not the current pro stuff. Using CS300 and M400 just now – care to discuss?

Please log in or register to post a reply.