Easter Challenge

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I’ve sure we’ve all noticed that they already have chocolate Easter Eggs on the shelves, in my supermarket they went up as soon as the Christmas stuff came down. Easter is now eleven weeks away. I was wondering this morning if I could go that long without chocolate, and it concerned me that I didn’t know if I could!

I am starting another round of strict 800 BSD on Tuesday (after Chinese New Year celebrations and my daughter’s 13th birthday). I am seriously thinking about doing it without chocolate. For some this might not seem like a big deal, like for me going without alcohol for eight weeks is not an issue and barely a change to my normal lifestyle, but it’s a big deal to me! And I know dark chocolate is allowed on the BSD. But I feel like it would be good to not be reliant on it!

I will cut out chocolate for ten and a half weeks until Easter, and ask my husband to give me flowers for Valentines Day instead. But if you wanted to wait until after Valentines Day that would still give you a full eight weeks chocolate-free.

Do you dare?

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hi Natalie
    I decided not to risk even the dark chocolate when I started on the BSD in April last year as I was such a chocoholic!
    I still feel to this day that if I were to have even one piece, it would completely set me off to want the whole block and then it would be a downhill slide to putting back all the weight that I’ve lost.
    This may not be realistic, but as I have been known to eat a whole box of chocolates to celebrate a previous weight loss, I’d better not chance it😱
    Will happily sit on the sidelines and cheer you on. 😀
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by Natalie
    on

In the past I’ve found that dark chocolate isn’t a trigger for me – one square is fine – but milk or flavoured chocolate (like Lindt with raspberries) is. But even if I’m only eating dark, I don’t think the idea of frequent treat foods of any kind is good for my mindset. I’ll re-introduce it later – I think.

Just don’t ask me to give up cheese.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Natalie, I would love to join you but I, and my entire family, always give up chocolate for Lent anyway, and I have given it up early this year (16th Jan) to do BSD, but I will cheer you on from the sidelines. Go girl.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Natalie. I’d join you, but not touched chocolate in over a year and don’t intend to – one square would not be enough! Before BSD I’ve even been known to eat whole bars of dark chocolate at a sitting! Best wishes.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ll join you, I have a cupboard full of chocolate, although I often go for weeks without indulging so it likely won’t be as big a sacrifice for me. Just as long as it doesn’t include cocoa powder as well or cocoa nibs as they are far more frequent treats, in fact my badminton protein drink would be sorely missed.

• posted by Natalie
    on

It’s great to hear other people have been able to give up chocolate for Lent or BSD and haven’t died of a chocolate deficiency! I’ve never observed Lent but one branch of my husband’s family gives up meat (except seafood, I don’t know why that doesn’t count) for it before Easter and Christmas.

• posted by topcac
    on

HI Natalie

I have about one square a week so I don’t think I really fit the criteria for your challenge but I’m happy to cheer you on and to be honest, the office where I work is full of the stuff constantly and as Easter gets closer I know I’ll find it harder to resist – got for it and good luck!!!

• posted by Natalie
    on

I went over a week with no chocolate which seemed like a great start but yesterday (remember we are having a heatwave here, over 40 degrees expected for the next three days) I had a Magnum which is vanilla ice cream covered in chocolate. More than 250 calories, refined sugar, and broke my chocolate promise! Damn. I could have at least chosen a different cooling ice block.

• posted by Inka13
    on

Snap! I had a Drumstick! (Amongst a few other transgressions at a friend’s birthday lunch!)
    Working hard today to undo the damage! Luckily the heat is helping ( I’m in the Southern Highlands, still up around 38c ) so eating doesn’t seem appealing!
    Frustrating having some of a pool there! Hope you get through the weekend ok and let’s hope for cooler temps next week…

• posted by 1942desperate
    on

Hi Inka13 I am also in the Southern Highlands melting in the heat but really enjoying this new way of healthy eating. I regularly read the forums but don’t post much.

It feels really good to know that people everywhere are benefitting from this programme and supporting each other on the forums.

Thanks to everyone for their stories and support.

• posted by Inka13
    on

1942desperate, nice to know I have a fellow bsder nearby! I’m an avid reader too but intermittent poster…I absolutely love this way of eating as well and we’re lucky to have so much great produce etc. down here!
    Good luck in the heat x

• posted by Natalie
    on

Back on the chocolate-free wagon today (but I might have a Splice). Has anyone seen any BSD-friendly ice cream?

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Yes Natalie, in Melbourne Zilch meets low carb ice cream rules. At Leo’s near me. Think there are some outlets in Sydney.

Please log in or register to post a reply.