Doing the Fat 800 and going to the gym= calorie deficit!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by georgetheforge
    on

Hi
    1st time poster 1st time on the fast 800/ BSD

I’ve been doing it for around a week since being recommended it by my GP.

I have High Blood pressure and am overweight mainly due to beer & Wine i think!

So have cut the beers/ wine and am doing the BSD

I also joined a gym and have started going which is good- i used to go a lot then gave up and got fat!

However did a session today with a heart rate monitor on and it looks like i burnt 814 cals in the session.

If i’m on only 800 cals should i up the 800 intake slightly on the days i plan to go to the gym?

whats your experience of this situation ?

so far in my 4 or 5 days doing it have lost nearly 4kg! & feel good!!

Thanks in advance

George

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi George, if your carb intake is low enough so that your body can use your fat stores as energy there is no need to increase the number of calories you eat if you are exercising. I find it helps to think in terms that our fat is meals we have eaten previously and haven’t burnt yet.

Do ensure you have enough salt in your diet as moving from a high carb diet to a low carb diet. Our body stores water to help it process carbs, but releases that water when you move to a low carb diet, which causes the kidneys to release electrolytes with the water released.

• posted by georgetheforge
    on

Thanks for your reply. Most appreciated!
    My only concern was going mega into deficit. Obviously a deficit is good but to have used my daily 800 before I got to work was a concern that I’d hit a wall.
    I was tired this afternoon but that I imagine was getting up and going to the gym this morning rather than food etc.

Will crack on then and see where we get to! Thanks again
    George

• posted by Barfly
    on

Your body will start converting fat to energy but it takes a while for it to adapt. Athletes talk about 3 months before they shoudl do a competitive event. Personally, I am in week 2 and found week 1 hard with gym – doing HIT for 45 mins x 3 but second week is much better. I have not taken any extra carbs and don’t recommend doing so. You will kick your body out of ketosis.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hitting a wall is what happens when you are fueling your body with carbs, when you run out of carbs you run out of energy. Hence all the “energy” drinks and work that endurance athletes have to do to carb load before an event.

Once you are fat adapted, when your body runs out of fuel that you have recently eaten it can turn to stored fat without any problem so there;s no wall to hit. You are back to your body working as it was designed to do. –

It does take time to adapt if you have been eating a carb high diet, which is why someone else on the forum noticed that having just started this way of eating he was fine with weight lifting, but was struggling with hill walking. How much time depends on your start point.

I found it very interesting when I started to incorporate fasting into week to realise how much my hunger wasn’t physical hunger but was driven by my thought processes of …..have been physically active doing X, or time for a break so time to have a meal. Its all an interesting learning curve to get in touch with how our bodies are actually feeling.

Please log in or register to post a reply.