Doing the diet but cooking for family too

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by adban
    on

Hi ,
    I am very keen to start the BSD but don’t want to be cooking different meals for the whole family. I can serve up the meals for my kids but they are fussy with veg! I guess I can offer and see. Also don’t want to restrict their calories/carbs so was thinking id do their carbs on the side of my meals? Is is still a healthy diet otherwise for children? YThey are 4 and 7 and in no way are overweight! any advice here welcome!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi adban and welcome. Your question is one asked many times by mums who want to lose weight but have the added responsibility of cooking for the family. There are lots of tips here and I will kick start it with. Dont make it too complicated. If you are cooking the same meals for you all then it is you that has to change, not the kids. Give them what they normally have and have the same yourself but with no starchy carbs and more veg or salad. There are lots of simple meals that kids will eat like bolognaise with pasta, you just leave the pasta off your plate and replace it with some spiralized courgette, beef stew with mashed potatoes, you dont have the potatoes but extra veg or find a veg you can mash like cauliflower or celeriac – but be careful, some veg are high carb – rule of thumb, if it grows underground dont eat it. The exceptions are celeriac and I also eat carrot but steer clear of sweet potato- the clue is in the name. This could be a good time to get the kids to try more veg and especially if they see you eating it. They say if you try something 10 times you will start to like it – sorry that has never worked for me with fish, but it is worth a go. Good luck.

• posted by adban
    on

thanks Sunshinegirl, good advice ! thanks I guess keep it simple is the best way. !

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome adban! I wholeheartedly agree with sunshine-girl. If you keep it simple and just omit the
    carbs from your own plate, that’s the simplest way to get started. There is a thread entitled “101
    way with cauliflower” that might be helpful, too. It’s very versatile, and your family might get used
    to it too! 🙂

Best to you,

Allie

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi everyone! There is research that children are very healthy on a low carb diet also — they do not need all that starch either — Dr. Bikman talks about that in his videos. Not that they NEVER have starch, but that regularly you feed them more veg and meat and eggs. You know, eggs for brekkies, not toast or bagel. Limited starch and sugar for rest of the day.
    It might require a bit of time to readjust palates but you can just cut back gradually and offer other good things.
    Dr Perlmutter also recommends the same for children.

Please log in or register to post a reply.