Doing BSD with GORD Gastro oesophageal reflux

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

I just been been diagnosed with GORD and I need to lose weight. I’ve been given 4 weeks of omaprazole and I’ve to go back for an endoscopy in 4 weeks and see how it’s going

The advice I got from the hospital is to eat little and often and avoid spicy and acidic foods. Oh, and to try to lose weight – which I definitely need to do!!

I want to try to manage this as far as possible by diet although I’ll take the medication for the four week period and see how I’m doing then. I’ve been looking at diets and eating plans til they’re coming out my ears! I think I prefer a Mediterranean/ low carb/anti inflammatory type approach which seems to fit with the low carb Mediterranean – the M plan on this website. I won’t be able to do any fasting as I’m told not to have long gaps between meals.

I’d be really grateful for any advice from anyone who has got any experience of doing the BSD with GORD and can give me some advise

• posted by Siamcat
    on

I’ve had reflux for many years, after only 2 weeks of doing the BSD I no longer needed the omeperazole. I do fast because I find it suits me, but I’m sure the types of food I’m eating are what have made the difference so I’m sure it will still help you 😊 Got to at least be worth a try xx

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Thanks siamcat that’s good to hear. I don’t want to be on Omeprazole for long if I can help it. It’s come as a bit of a kick up the rear to get me motivated to doing something about my health and fitness 😀

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Hi, a week on and I’m still trying to follow this plan.
    I’m feeling a bit like Billy no mates though I’d love some advice or support from anyone doing this way if eating with digestive problems

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hello Ikeeptrying, you are on the right diet here. I suffer from occasion heartburn and acid reflux but not enough for it to be a medical problem, like I need any more problems. I find that holidays, rich food and too much alcohol lead me to suffer. I can see why you feel like billy no mates. There are not many people dealing with your specific problem. Can I suggest you find a thread that you can join in and talk about your dieting progress (or woes), your specific concerns and join in the others helping them with their questions. My particular problem is diabetes and Blood Glucose levels when all around me seem to be just concerned with weight loss but I still join in. We have a weekly thread going (but check out the date as it changes each week) – we are currently called One Week at a Time – 26th Feb. Another will be starting on Monday or Tuesday when we put the past behind us and start afresh. Good luck.

• posted by IKeeptrying
    on

Thanks for your reply, Sunshine. I’ve been out so couldn’t answer your. post. Yes you’re right to say I should just join in a thread. Is there much activity on this forum? 😀

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi IKT. Some of the threads are almost impossible to keep up with at times 😀 especially rhe weekly, dated thread as mentioned above. But yes there’s usually something going on. Good Luck with sorting the GORD, I’m sure you’ll get there and with your other targets

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

It is true our weekly challenge has become very busy but we have such a mix of people. Old timers like me, people who have reversed their diabetes, people who have lost tons of weight (like allie and others) those that are struggling and every question you might need answering. I would suggest you join one active thread and ask it to send you alerts so you can read them on your email as they come in. Alternatively, note when you last looked or contributed then, when you go on again, scroll to that date and start reading from there. I went onto the Diabetes UK forum the other day and was totally bewildered so it is not just you.
    The other action is when you have a specific question like What Foods are High in Carbs – type it into the Search engine and it will bring up past posts with this question in. Or you could open a new thread as you have with this one and ask your question there. Scroll through and see if there are any subjects that interest you and just jump in, you dont have to post, just read and hover until you are ready. Good luck, there is lots of help here and if you ask a question that has been asked over and over, no one will mind.

Please log in or register to post a reply.