Does it work?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NickJ
    on

I finished the 8 weeks x 800 calories a fortnight ago.

During this time I gave up on Metformin and Glicazade.

I started at 92.8 kgs, down to 82 at end of 8 weeks. Now 81.5 so conclusions:
    * it is not hard to adhere to the diet, and after you keep doing it, yes it changes habits. If you want to lose serious weight fast do this diet.
    * Blood sugars the same….they went way down until the moment I stopped Glicazade. Now they are the same as when I started. So did the diet work for me at first glance a resounding no. This for me is no miracle cure for type 2 diabetes. Dont expect a cure.

What next: I have had a blood test and am going back to my GP for a reset of the pharmaceuticals. When I have the results I will post a comparative of before and after.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Nick, well done on your results especially your weight. You say you are not happy with the BG results as they are the same as when you started but surely when you started they were artificially kept down by medications. Or are you saying your BG has gone back to the high level you had on diagnosis before you were put on meds. My HbA1c has gone from 8.2 to 5.4 but I too do not consider myself ‘cured’ as I still use insulin although only 50% of my original dose, so some improvement. I think this reversal that people look for is more than possible with people with pre-diabetes or early detected and recently diagnosed cases. I have been doing this plan for 9 months and will continue to do it but having had diabetes for 12 years I too dont expect miracles but I do want a needle free life. That is a big success in my eyes. Keep on keeping on…

Ah ha, I have just looked at your profile and you have been diagnosed for 10 years so, reading what I put above, you now have your answer. It will work but it takes longer for us diabetic veterans.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Hi Nick, the BSD doesn’t purport to be a miracle cure for diabetes. What it does claim is that for most people with T2 it will reduce weight and reduce BGLs. It will send some of us into remission, may reverse T2 completely in some cases but less likely if we have been T2 for longer periods of time. Perhaps you need longer on reducing the fat around your liver and pancreas to get improved BGLs. Given you were on meds for your T2 it is possible that the damage by T2 is greater than for many.

When you have worked so hard it is understandable that your disappointment is high at the moment given you were hoping for a cure. In my case diagnosed T2 for nearly 9 years the 8 weeks reduced my HbA1C to 5.7 from 6.9 and that has held in the 5 months since. However when I to gorged on high carb dry biscuits (crackers in UK) my BGL went above 8 for a about an hour – going high carb is not an option. Reading Krysia’s posts may give you greater insights into what can happen on BSD.

Best wishes for whatever you decide from here but continuing should improve some aspects of the disease.

• posted by NickJ
    on

Update to my first post….yes it appears to make a huge difference.

So went to the Doctor who had my latest post diet blood test, and compared to the one taken a month prior.
    As stated the weight was down nearly 11kgs (its stayed there for 5 weeks to, so al good).
    He took blood pressure, was 120/80 now 110/74, pretty good for a 60 year old he said.
    I had prior evidence of liver dysfunction, now clear.
    Cholesterol ratio gone from 3/2 to 2/1, numbers down, great result.
    Big one, monthly glucose levels…..were 59, now 47. Amazing, lists me as prediabetic….too close to tell, so will recheck in 3 months.

End result no more glicazade, 1/3rd of former metformin dose to be taken at night to cure morning blood spike, much lower statin dose.

So far so good. It was worth the effort.

• posted by NickJ
    on

numbers HbA1C 5.9 to 4.7

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Congrats NickJ. Great results. The overall health benefits are so rewarding in this journey.

• posted by crabbycams
    on

Well done Nick. Inspiring. Hoping for similar results. Fasting blood sugar down to 5.3 after 11 days. HbA1C has always been good but I was still diagnosed as diabetic and just accepted it. Hope I have success and can inspire my sister who has been injecting insulin for at least 17 years and is starting to notice side effects.

Please log in or register to post a reply.