Does anyone use body composition scales?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by AndreaG
    on

Morning all.
    I invested in some body composition scales mainly as a check against the scales we were using (which I now know are accurate!) . I’m training as well as fasting so I thought it might be useful to monitor muscle mass. I appreciate they are not that accurate, but most of the figures were as expected. The one which surprised me was body water, which came up as 32.8%, which is classed as low. I’ve been drinking at least 3.5 liters of water a day for 9 weeks now, so I’d be surprised if I was dehydrated. Does anyone know what this actually means? I suspect its something to do with too much weight being taken up by fat, pushing down the water % down, but the instructions don’t mention how is calculated. Anyone have any insight?
    Thank you

• posted by RedRooster
    on

I’ve got some, I tend not to use them anymore other than for just weight, didn’t really trust the results (good or bad results)

• posted by Riccoh
    on

If I understand correctly the total body water percentage has a lot to do with body fat and fat free body weight.Fatty tissue contains very little water. As you lose the fat the percentage should go up. This was the advice I got from a dietician years ago. I Renpho scales which give me body composition.

• posted by AndreaG
    on

Thanks – I think you’re right – its not measuring hydration and if your proportion of fat is high, water will be lower.

Please log in or register to post a reply.