DO YOU CONTROL YOUR BLOOD SUGAR?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by helenw95
    on

As part of my Health Psychology MSc thesis, I am looking for males and females aged 18 years and older who regularly control their blood sugar. You will be required to complete three questionnaires looking into the effects of numeracy skills on the relationship between doctor-patient communication and blood sugar control. Data will be collected initially, and then follow-up data will be sent via email 4 to 8 weeks later containing the same three questionnaires. Completion at each time point will take approximately 20 minutes and participation would be greatly appreciated. Please visit the link for access to the questionnaire. https://ljmupsych.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_e2GhkPrlk5XVt9r

This study has recieved ethical approval

Thank you for your time 🙂

• posted by Miles Teg
    on

Just signed up and completed the questionnaire – interesting stuff. Best of luck with the study!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I’ve just done it, but the maths questions???? hard and I have A level maths.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

They were a good tester for a Friday afternoon, weren’t they.

In all fairness, the research is about the impact of numeracy skill on patient/doctor interaction so a bit of arithmetic is to be expected 😉

I think the hard part of the study will be coming up with a method of getting responses from the more “apathetic” patient base. This forum and similar ones are a self-selecting bunch who are actively interested and willing to engage with the science and details of the treatments. If my nurse is to be believed there is a large cohort who are indifferent to it and look to use the drugs as a means to continue their lifestyles and habits as before.

The results should however be interesting, perhaps Dr M will have to add a maths foundation course to the BSD…..

Could I ask Helen what plans you have to make the results available?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

As J-M says this site is full of people really interested in their health and the control of their diabetes so our results could be skewed towards a more informed group. But I hope they don’t assume I am not taking care of myself because I answered one question saying I didn’t do as my doctor advises. The reason I am on this website is because I am doing something totally outside the recommended advice for diabetics but it is with my doctors agreement. The phrasing of questions does not allow you to explain why you answered in a certain way. As for the maths, I used to be a nurse and in my day we used to give insulin out of a glass phial and had to weigh our patients, calculate their food then calculate their insulin and even then, as a professional, I needed a chart to follow.

Please log in or register to post a reply.