Dizziness/feeling sick/shaky

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rafla
    on

Hi there I’m on day 6 of the 800 plan. Yesterday I was mildly dizzy in the evening. Today tho I was a bit late making my dinner and felt incredibly unwell – seriously dizzy, nauseated, faint, shaky. Settled after I ate but worried now that maybe this isn’t safe to do anymore. Anyone any experience of this? Should it settle? I’ve passed the hunger stage but this worried me. Thanks in advance.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Rafia, yes this is quite normal and should pass when you get used to the low calories. You realised you were late with dinner so was hungrier than you should have been. If you really get shakey have a small snack if it is a way off meal time, something like some plain yoghurt or a small cube of cheese just to bring your blood sugars up. As long as you are not diabetic you should not have any really bad effects from this as your body will regulate itself. Do shout up if you are T2 diabetic though.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Rafia,

If you have have been eating a high carb diet for a while your body will have stored a lot of water. As soon as you cut out the carbs your body will release that stored water, but with it the kidneys release electrolytes. – To compensate you need to increase your salt intake.

if you are used to eating processed food they will have had high salt levels, you need to remember to add salt to the meals you cook.

Low electrolyte levels creates a feeling like you are suffering from flu, the period of low electrolytes from cutting down on carbs is known as keto flu.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Rafia, just because JGwen and I have given different answers doesnt mean one of us is wrong. We approach the diet from difference perspectives. Gwen is more scientific whereas I keep it simple. Trust us, we both know what we are talking about and not one answer fits everything.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi,
    Happened to me quite a lot, you’re reducing carbs/sugar a very easy energy source for your body to utilise, you’re asking yourself body to find another source of energy it takes a bit of time to work it all out. I’ve gone from going to bed at 6 to 7pm most days in the first week of the diet, feeling dizzy to doing a 2hour bike ride y’day and 45 minute run tonight, all on 800 per day – only because I felt like I could. Slow and steady works for me, if I sit down for a while then stand up quickly I get a bit of a dizzy spell, just don’t panic, all fine. Your mind will tell you to worry – it wants the quick fix of carbs – just need to get through it.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi, you don’t mention if you are on any meds for high blood pressure? If you are, it could well be that your BP is dropping as you lose weight, so you may need to monitor more closely and review the meds with your GP.

Please log in or register to post a reply.