Disastrous weekend blow out

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Just do it
    on

Ashamed to say I fell off the wagon massively this long weekend – I’m six and a half weeks in and could kick myself as it’s been so hard for me to lose the weight and I’ve set myself right back. I know exactly what started it. On Friday I thought it would be okay to have chicken in breadcrumbs, don’t ask me why!? Then I really fancied some crisps and chocolate so had some. The next day I was craving bread, gave in. Yesterday I had a pizza. Today had jacket potato. What a spectacular failure, I’m actually blushing as I type this. The more I had, the more I wanted. I thought well you’ve done it now so why stop, just get it all out of your system. I’m so tempted to backspace and delete all this and not tell anyone but I could really do with some advice and encouragement to get me back on track.

• posted by Chongololo
    on

You have already made the decision to put the last few days behind you and push on by NOT using that backspace button! Think about your determination on the first couple of days, and commit to the program, from right now – no more starchy carbs to mess with your appetite until you feel like its time to maintain, and re-introduce the complex ones!

These things are never failures unless you give up. By acknowledging the deviations, accepting why, and vowing to get back on the horse they just become roadbumps in the path ๐Ÿ™‚ you can do it, good luck!

• posted by Hawks
    on

Hey, Just do it, you aren’t the only one. I had a similar weekend and the scales tell the story all too clearly.

Don’t give up! It just means you know one small thing can easily lead to another. Oh so easily. (Chocolate, I am speaking to you and your friend the pastry.)

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi Just do it and Hawks,

Thank you both for being so honest.
    The poet Alexander Pope wrote “To err is human; to forgive divine.” We are all human and have our ‘slip ups’. It’s time now to forgive yourselves and reclaim your resolve.
    Carbohydrate addiction is real. You both witnessed its’ slippery slide over the week-end.
    The easy part is for you to remember how good your body and mind feels when eating The BSD Way. The harder part is reclaiming your resolve – you just have to put your mind to it – you’ve done this before when you commenced the BSD.
    Speaking of our minds – don’t ignore the part that mindfulness meditation plays in this way of life…it may help you think differently when carb ‘triggers’ present themselves.

• posted by Hawks
    on

Thanks Switzerland.

• posted by hawke
    on

This is bound to happen on occasion. One weekend will never undo the work you have done over 6 weeks. It is a but a small hiccup and a very natural part of the process ๐Ÿ™‚ just pick back up!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Since we are in a confessional mood, I too had a major falling off the wagon this weekend. In my defence, ladies & gentlepersons of the jury, the balance of my mind had become unhinged following a series of disasters in the past week and I’d just about had enough of everything. I broke my own rule about resisting temptation in the supermarket (reduced price choccies, crisps) so when the brown stuff hit the fan I caved in big time.
    This happened on a day when I had actually hit a new low (in the good sense) when I weighed myself – of course, I’ve gone up a bit now. And I was within touching distance of my next milestone… gggrrrrhhhh!!!!
    All the advice coming in from others is so true – I’ve even given the same advice to others who have experienced a wobble.
    This morning, however, I have experimented with my own spicy/nutty trail mix so I can have something savoury & snacky to try and avoid crisps at least.
    So climbing back onto the saddle…. Best of luck, everyone.
    Rose
    (And this is the 3rd time I’ve attempted to post this message – my PC decided to crash out on me so I’d better hit Submit before I lose everything again. I can understand why people become mad axe murderers. Someone up there doesn’t like me at the moment!)

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi just do it
    Put the GHRELIN MONSTER (hungry hormone) back in the box. He wasn’t fun to play with. Keep on keeping on ๐Ÿ’

• posted by Natalie
    on

Mine was last week when I decided a tiny bit of sugar in my tea would be fine. Over a period of several days I reintroduced chocolate, then cheesecake, then just whatever the hell I wanted. It was definitely a case of the more carbs I had, the more I wanted. I’m clean again now!

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

Totally understand – I allowed myself a little dark chocolate as a holiday treat about 4 weeks in, but having it in the house was a disaster. Cravings kicked in and it was a hard road to get them under control again. So now I just try and keep that kind of thing out of the house, don’t buy it or if someone else does, they don’t keep it in public view! It’s hard when I’m making packed lunches each day and even things like soreen malt loaf, which wouldn’t normally attract me suddenly become a temptation! Another thing is, we now do online delivery each week so I don’t go to the supermarket alone where I could be tempted to buy and eat stuff I shouldn’t, it feels drastic but necessary. I’ve lost a stone since 14th March and another stone since last summer doing 5:2. So I’m NOT going back! But we all have blips. Tomorrow is a new day!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I think we all need to get into our heads that sugar is a dangerous, addictive drug and should be treated with everything else of that ilk.
    So many people are reporting feeling terrible after falling off the wagon, it sort of proves the point, quite apart from the folk who report feeling so much better after cutting it out.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Don’t despair Just do it — what you are doing right now is exactly what the Blood Sugar Diet talks about and is so common for those of us who struggle with weight issues — it’s called “catastrophic thinking” and we fall into it whenever we perceive that we have “blown it” — now that I’ve already eaten all that, I’m a failure and I might as well keep eating (and eating and eating…). I don’t think anyone on this journey has avoided a day (or weekend!๐Ÿ˜œ) like that — just start again today. Don’t try to make up for it, or eat even less to compensate — just draw a veil over that nightmare and move on. It isn’t important. What matters is the bigger picture and your future health.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Thank you, Bill, for cutting to the chase and reminding us “that sugar is a dangerous, addictive drug and should be treated with everything else of that ilk”.
    Maybe we should print off that line and stick it on our cupboards…

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi RozyDozy
    sorry if I sounded a wee bit callous but unfortunately that seems to be the way it is. Having said that, Californiagirl has it spot on.
    Beating yourself up about your slip ups is counterproductive and can lead to giving up.
    Just put it behind you, today is a new day and the start of the rest of your life, so jump back on the wagon and hang on tight. Everyone on the forums is here to help.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Bill,
    No need to apologise, I didn’t think you were being callous at all – sometimes it needs someone to point out the obvious, at those times when you can’t see the wood for the trees.
    After a stressful few days, I’m happy to report that today everything seems to be back under control.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Glad to hear it. I had a blood sugar shock over the weekend but it’s went back to normal now.
    There is so much we don’t know about the human body and mind that it isn’t surprising that sometimes things come out of left field that defy everything you think you know.
    One thing I’ve discovered over the last 3 months is the only predictable thing about my body is it’s unpredictability

• posted by Just do it
    on

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, a lot of good sense. amazing too to hear so many having had similar problems recently. Good luck to everyone getting back on the horse. My carb overdose has left me feeling bloated and exhausted, I could have slept all afternoon. Raging hunger too. Am back bsd-ing today and looking forward to having that lovely slim feeling in a few days. 4lbs gain over the four days though (this is half my total loss so far, so easy on, so hard off), gonna take some shifting, hopefully it hasn’t got too tight a hold and will come off again over the next couple of weeks. Thanks again for the support folks, really couldn’t do this without you all!

• posted by Shadow2
    on

It is so reassuring to hear all your stories, I have just put a post on “this has to work for me” detailing my disastrous weekend and how rubbish I feel at the moment and disappointed in myself. But had much better day today, less carbs, more water and more exercise so hoping for an improvement soon. I didn’t realise how well I have been following this diet until the last few days. Need to get back on these forums again.

• posted by Brightspark
    on

Been there, just done that!
    Been brilliant for 6 weeks with a total loss of 18lbs and just had a 5 day break with family and friends at Mayday celebrations in Cornwall. Always knew it would be difficult with staying with other people and eating out so kept to diet as much as possible but allowed some booze in and one ‘sod-it’ day on Monday. Ate a pasty and had several beers and glasses of red wine and today I’m 2 lbs up and BS was 7.0. However, it’s not as bad as I was expecting and also made me realise how much better I feel on the BSD.
    So I’m back on the wagon which I’m really looking forward to. In fact I’ve decided to stick with the 800 until my holiday in June as it’s been so helpful and beneficial.

• posted by Stacey
    on

I completed 2 weeks on the BSD and lost 5.2kgs. but…. I had a relative coming from overseas to visit, I live in a region of wine, chocolate, cheese and all things wonderful so I decided to give myself 2 weeks off with them and start again once the visit was over. So on first weigh in day I was really surprised to find I had only put on 2.7kgs. Thanks to knowing how easy the BSD was to keep to and how quickly I saw results the 2.7kgs didn’t phase me at all. I feel so ready to start again. I am at the end of day 2 and that sugar monster is knocking at my door but I know if I get through the first few days I will feel great. Also on the plus side I weighed in again this morning and lost 1kg. If this was any other diet I would be so disheartened and down but I’m not at all. Bring on the next 7 weeks and 5 days ๐Ÿ™‚

So don’t beat yourself up over one weekend!

• posted by for ever the optimist
    on

Hi, I too had a terrible few days, no idea why but the wheel definitely fell off. I have felt such a failure that today is the first time I felt able to look at the forums again, was really feeling such a failure that I had no right to be part of the BSD community. Having seen how honest people have been I thought I should get a grip and have another go. Thank you to everyone for being so honest.

Please log in or register to post a reply.