Diligent December

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

JGwen you are so right! Staying in hotels with afternoon tea and cocktails with nibbles, after 3years plus eating this way the ‘nibbles’ no longer appeal. Don’t get me wrong, plates full of tiny pastries, scones and cream filled delights look wonderful ….. but ….. I know before I taste them it’s just pure sugar and I won’t enjoy them! So just sticking with my few squares of 90%.,…. with odd few spoons of chocolate mousse…. well it is a holiday!!
    It really does take time to retrain eating habits but no doubt it can be done. I love Christmas pudding but after seeing Wendy’s list of Christmas food carbs I may even give my two spoonfuls a miss!!!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Thank you JGwen❤️ You are right and I am 2lbs today😂😂

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

That’s great birdy. You are doing the right stuff. I’m back on the cooked breakfast from today. No more bread for a week. Sounds like a pledge where’s Wendy‘s latest post?

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    Sorry I haven’t posted for a while. Hope everyone is keeping on keeping on, as sunshine-girl says.

Well, I’m trying not very successfully to maintain my weight at the moment, it’s been bouncing around a bit over the last week. It was 9st, then went to 8st 13lb – woohoo (that lasted all of 8 hours, didn’t even have time to report it – bummer!), it then went back to 9st, then 9st 1lb and yesterday was 9st 2lb. So, there’s no way I’m getting on those scales today! I think part of the problem is I’ve been trying out new recipes – and while the carbs are low, I’m not really managing my portion sizes well enough. Mind, I guess a positive is that I’m enjoying the new recipes enough to want to eat more of them! I’ve also had a couple of nights out – no food but a couple of drinks each time. Anyway, I’m going to go back to my tried and tested meals and strict portion-sizes between now and Christmas Eve. Exercise isn’t going brilliantly either as I’ve sprained my ankle – resting up at the moment – but will be back at it next week.

Hope everyone else is keeping heart – personally, glad in the UK that Dec 12th is out of the way.
    Take care everyone.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Au secours
    on

Another diligent week has passed and I am delighted to say another 1lb has been discarded. I will continue being diligent even with some festive events to attend. I hope everyone else continuing their diligence. It’s so worth it. 👍😊

• posted by Mindandmatter
    on

I was doing so well in November, but everything has gone manic and my ability to prepare anything went right out with it. *sigh* I’ve gained everything I lost. Diligent has to be the way forward. I’m hunting inspiration for menu plans as right now I feel awfully lethargic. I know full well that my metabolism is all messed up, I need to find a way to sort out the calorie burn/high that fits around everything else as well as plan meals – with no current space in the freezer and a husband who eats leftovers.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

I wrote on here the other day and the silly spam filter chucked me out. I had my first PT session at the gym the other day and it was great. We are working on strengthening my legs so I won’t injure myself again when skiing in February. I have finally got out of my 15-2 to 14-11 and am now down o 14-9!! Yippee! I am hoping it will keep going down before Christmas.

So much running around my head is spinning but it is stopping me from eating too much😂😂. Hope you are all well. Love Birdy💞🦜

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Had my big 5-0 birthday on the weekend and, thanks to a it of December diligence, I’ve lost a total of 7.8kg since the beginning of October. My stomach measurement has reduced by 15.5cm, which was my main concern going into my next decade, so “yay” all around! JGwen you really know what you’re talking about, as my cold cleared up that weight dropped off and my measurements were the incentive I needed!! Thank you for your wisdom! Good luck to all as we move into the end of the “silly season “, hopefully a healthy lc path all around! 👠

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Wow shoegirl well done! Fantastic losses for you over the last couple of months – and belated Happy Birthday too. Keep posting as to how you are doing as it is really inspirational. Well done au secours too for your consistent progress – that’s brilliant. And Birdy how wonderful that you are losing again – sounds like things are definitely on the up (or down, if you see what I mean!)

Jennie your loss has been phenomenal – remind us of your story as I think you have lost a great deal of weight over the past couple of years? So don’t worry about the odd pound now, as you say it’s probably the recipe experimentation/portion sizes that’s doing it. Do share some of your recipes once things settle down? It could help others needing inspiration such as Mindandmatter.

JGwen big thanks again for all your ongoing advice. I’m bearing your advice to shoegirl in mind at the moment as am fighting off a cold and just wanting to eat every carb in sight! But I’m going to do my best to do either 16:8 or OMAD every day this week, whilst making sure I get lots of the good nutrition that my body needs (I usually find it pretty easy to skip meals but am then lazy about making sure the balance of what I do eat is the best for my body).

So, half of December still to go and probably the hardest fortnight to be diligent but let’s do our best!

Looking ahead to January (eek!) I want to do a very strict 4 week Fast 800, combined with Dry January (which will be a real challenge for me as I do love my wine) to get 2020 off to a flying start . Depending on where I’m at by the end of January I may then move on to 5:2 so that I can be really strict some days but ease off some others. We’ll see ……

Have a great week everyone X

• posted by Au secours
    on

Congrats Shoegirl on your brilliant loss. 👍😀

• posted by Au secours
    on

Thanks DCT for your encouragement. Have a great lc day. 😀

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Thanks Au Secours! Sounds like your diligence is paying off too!! Slow and steady into the New Year, well done!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    Hope you’re all doing good. Sorry, I’ve been absent, but I’ve been computer-less.
    Long story short, I lent my laptop to our youngest son “just for a few weeks” about 8 months ago, so I’ve been sharing my husband’s and last week that conked out. Result = 1 computer out for repair & 1 grouchy husband! Anyway, the positive is my son arrived for Christmas yesterday, so I have a computer again – hurrah!

Au Secours, Shoegirl and Birdy – that’s great going especially at this time of year – woohoo! Give yourselves some well-earned pats on the back – and shoegirl, belated happy 50th birthday from me too.

DCT – thanks for your support – you’re right, I’ve lost a lot of weight overall since my T2 diagnosis in 2016 (6st) and it’s helpful to be reminded of that. I can get a bit obsessed with things sometimes! Best of all my blood sugars returned into the normal range within a few months of starting BSD (with low carbs) and have stayed there ever since. Along with this I’ve had improvements in my BP, cholesterol, pulse rate, I’ve got pain-free joints, and my fatty liver has gone. As a woman in my early 60’s (when does early become mid ?!?) these things are important to me. But, also, I can move and walk freely for the first time in years, my skin is the best it’s ever been, I can wear clothes I want to not just what fits, and my ankles are slim again – still amazed at that last one. There are so many things that come with this way of eating and I’m truly grateful for it. So, thanks, DCT, writing this has helped me find the right perspective again – it’s a marathon not a sprint etc. How have you gotten on this week? – good to hear about your New Year plans. I find it helps to make those plans, too. Enjoy Christmas but at the same time look beyond it, if that makes sense?

Mindandmatter – hope this last week has gone better for you. I’m sympathetic as one of the things I found/find hardest is preparing/cooking fresh meals all the time. (I have a tiny freezer and it’s always full!)
    I’ve been trying out some new menus and I’ll post links to them at some point (mostly dietdoctor.com) as DCT suggests but not sure they’re what you’re looking for right now – I’m trying to ‘fancy things up a bit’ as my lovely old Mum used to say.
    I did the Blood Sugar Diet but found the recipe plan too much to do so I just kept to the 800 cals and low carbs. Initially, when things got tricky, I’d keep things as simple as possible. I’d have yoghurt or eggs for breakfast, a cup of homemade soup for lunch (if freezer was full I just kept it in the fridge ’til gone), and then the same evening meal as my husband e.g. protein and above ground veg (or bagged salad if summer). I’d just miss out the ‘carby’ bits of my OHs meals – e.g. potatoes. Not sure how helpful any of this is, sorry, but above all, don’t lose heart – you can do it xx

In case people are going off now and I don’t get another chance, have a very happy Christmas and see you all back here in the New Year.
    Jennie xx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Merry Christmas Jennie!
    I’ve been off line too, have been plagued by illness and injury during December (a consistent theme for 2019 for me unfortunately), hoping to be feeling better by Christmas Day.
    I wouldn’t say I’ve thrown in the towel, just set it to one side 🙂 I’ve been partially diligent I guess.
    I’m finding the whole bush fire crisis here really upsetting. I’m a good 40km away from the fire fronts, so in no danger, just upsetting with the loss of lives and homes, especially at this time of the year. And the heat – it was 41 degrees centigrade yesterday, luckily a bit cooler today.
    I’m having a bit of a break (from BSD) for the next week or 2 but then will be back into it 100% in January – maybe in 2020 I’ll finally achieve what I set out to do in January 2017 😉
    Hope all my friends on here have a lovely Christmas and New Year and see you in 2020!

on

Hi Sue

You’ve had such a difficult year. I really hope that you are feeling better by Christmas. Also sending love to you and all our Aussie friends with these terrible fires.

I’m off travelling tomorrow so wish everyone reading this thread a very Happy Christmas.

I will definitely be setting up a January thread as I confess my diligence has waned during December and I need to take remedial action in January. I have also just got engaged to my long term partner so have a wedding to plan (and lose weight for!) in 2020. So am feeling very motivated to really go for it once all the engagement and Christmas celebrations are out of the way.

Best wishes to you all. Have a lovely Christmas and here’s hoping for a wonderful 2020 for everyone X

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Merry Christmas to all my BSD friends.
    Congratulations on your engagement dreamscometrue. How exciting to be planning your wedding and what a perfect incentive to lose a few extra pounds. 2020 is going to be a great year for you. Do you remember Seasidenana, she got engaged and married in 2017 when she started BSD with us. She was over the moon. I often wonder how she is.
    SueBlue- sorry you’ve had a bad spell of Ill health. I hope you’re soon fighting fit and are able to enjoy Christmas. I hope that the temperatures settle a little in Australia. It must be so uncomfortable in the 40’s. Keep safe. I reckon 2020 might be a good year for me and you both. I am retiring in March so I am going to use my retirement date as my incentive to the best best I can be. Let’s all do it together next year!

It has been a pleasure sharing the forum for another year of our journey together. Best wishes to everyone for a happy and peaceful Christmas. I won’t be so strict over the next week or so but come January I will be back on a mission to achieve my target weight once and for all. I did it in 2017 and I know I can do it again.

Merry Christmas 🎄

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Hi Everyone. I’ve been lurking here for a while. I just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas. I plan to post now and then in the New Year. I’m in Australia, too. Sydney. I hope to lose 35k eventually by doing the fast 800 with tre. My son and daughter-in-law have been Following the 5:2 this year. My dil was interviewed by Marie Claire magazine about her journey.
    Thanks for all the inspiration.

• posted by Au secours
    on

Another diligent week has passed but only .5lb has been discarded. However jeans and dresses for festive events all fitting much better, so I am happy with the result of no nonsense and diligence.
    Congratulations DCT. I wish everyone a very merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy slimmer 2020. We can do it if we really want to and we do want to do it. 😊

on

Hi Cathy great to hear from you and yes, 2020 should be a brilliant year for both of us. Our 3 year BSD anniversary – and yours too SueBlue – so let’s do this and finish the job! Have a lovely Christmas x

Welcome Riccoh and look forward to sharing your progress in January. Sounds like this WoE is already well established in your family – how exciting about your dil! – so it’s good that you already have a supportive environment in which to pursue your goals.

Ausecours you have made amazing progress and I’m really pleased that you a reaping the results! Well done and Happy Christmas x

I am happy to set up a new thread for us all for January – but if anyone else would like to do it then let me know and I’ll willingly pass on the baton to you!

OK really must go now and pack the car instead of sitting here typing away 😉 Have a lovely Christmas everyone X

• posted by Crosie
    on

Hello everyone and well donebeing so Diligent on December! We are into what is probably the hardest week of the year and I wish everyone good luck staying diligent!
    After my American Thanksgiving success at the end of November I’ve tried to stay diligent…I’ve had a few slips and bumps along the way but managed to make better decisions and resist for the most part. The moments of indulgence truly are not worth it as I found out having a sneaky mini Christmas pastie of turkey and stuffing! Sooo delicious but the bloating, upset stomach and belly pain was just not worth it! Lesson learned!
    Overall I’m pleased with my progress in December a total discard of 2lbs! That makes me 5lbs less than what my goal was so couldn’t be happier! Now just to maintain that over the next 10 days!
    For those of you struggling on this woe take inspiration from all of us who fall off the wagon and then are able to undo the bad by being that little bit more diligent…this woe really is forgiving and allows us to keep going even when we have a few slips and falls.
    Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and bring on a healthier 2020! Look forward to the January thread.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi SueBlue – I’m really sorry to hear you’ve not been doing too well health-wise and hope that you’ll be feeling better and recovered from injury very soon. I can understand you feeling distressed by what is happening with the bush fires. We’ve been watching it on the news over here and it’s been horrible to see even from here. I wish all our Australian friends a happier and safer Christmas and all the very best for the New Year.
    DCT – that’s fantastic news and really exciting – many congratulations to you both – enjoy the engagement celebrations xx Yes, and what a great incentive for the New Year. Lots to look forward to!
    CC – yes, I remember Seasidenana – I was a lurker at the time so didn’t ‘know’ her but I did enjoy reading about her wedding plans.
    Hi Riccoh – it’ll be good to share how you’re going – and your son and dil – in the new year. That’s great about your dil being interviewed by MarieClaire. I did the 5:2 for 2 weeks before I switched to the Blood Sugar Diet. My problem with the 5:2 was I did the 5, but kept forgetting to do the 2! So, full of admiration for them both. I did do tre though which I found really effective. Good luck and ‘speak’ to you in the new year. Happy Christmas.
    Crosie – you’ve done really well – it’s smashing when you end up feeling really happy with your progress – you’ve got this!
    Au secours – you’ve done great too this month – I reckon one of our tops for diligence – well done that woman.

I’m also away from now so I hope everyone has a happy and safe Christmas and a prosperous and healthy 2020.
    Jennie xx

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Congratulations DCT! 🙂 Hi, old friends – I have been absent but just popping on to wish you all Season’s greetings!
    I have had ups and downs this year but hope to get to my BSD goal by my 3 year anniversary around 15 August 2020!
    Wishing you all a wonderful time and see you in the New Year!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    It’s good to read about those that are doing so well. I haven’t had much time to post, but have been trying to keep up with reading others posts.
    Sue Blue – I have been more or less partially diligent as well. I have been sticking to 2 meals a day for the most part, and burning a lot of energy as I’m painting my flat, but there has been rather too much chocolate consumption going on as a way to try and keep myself going in the afternoons. That being said, I had a very nice dinner of roasted brussels sprouts and crab cakes for dinner last night and have made a cauliflower/broccoli cheese for tonight. I’ve been so sorry to hear about the bush fires. It is upsetting even when you are not directly involved. I was in Victoria for quite a bad season in 2014, and then when I returned home, we had bad years of fires/flooding in 2017/18 and for those years I had to be on emergency response at work helping with mapping and livestock relocation and that was quite difficult when you hear of people’s stories and really wondering when it is all going to end. So my thoughts are with you and all the other Aussies out there.
    We had around 1/2 an ocean fall on us this past week (would have been nice to send some of it to Australia if only we could). The last 3 years I have had to miss Christmas with family due to issues with horses. This year, my horse is close to family, but thanks to the weather, it is looking like I might not get there. What was rain for us here fell as more than 120cm of snow in the mountains and the roads are still messy and the avalanche risk extremely high, so it may be safer just to stay home. I’ll make a final decision tomorrow, and then plan for my Christmas meal if I need to.
    The positive for me is that I feel like my iron supplements are starting to work. I have been able to keep up much better with work colleagues on walks, and I do feel like I have a lot more stamina throughout the day. I’m hoping this is going to translate to good things come January.
    Anyway, wishing you all the best over the holidays and into the new year.

on

Hi everyone

OK so am back home after Christmas away with family. Am really looking forward to January! I’ve lost and regained, and put on and lost again during December – basically at the end of the month back where I started at the beginning. But am feeling a new wave of positivity for 2020 in many areas of my life: and want to really hit the ground running in January. As well as Fast 800 I am going to try and do Dry January (Big Challenge!! as wine is my weakness). I really want not only to lose some excess pounds but to get back in control of my eating and drinking habits, and have more energy for other things in my life.

But that’s the thing with this WOE. Speaking personally, yes I have put on a few pounds but I’ve been having a wonderful time with friends and family and know that I can sort it all out in January if I go back to basics. Which I’m actually looking forward to doing.

So tomorrow I will set up a January thread for anyone who wants to join me? Not sure of the title. We had Judicious July so I can only think of more general terms beginning with J – such as Joyful January or Jubilant January, or perhaps January Journey / Journey through January?

Any ideas do let me know!

Wishing you all a fabulous New Year celebration and a wonderful 2020 X

on

Good morning from the UK. Special thoughts to all our Aussie friends with these continuing dreadful fires. Are you all ok??

Wishing everyone all the very best for New Year, whatever your circumstances. May 2020 be your best year yet.

I have set up a new thread – Journey through January – for those that would like to join. I look forward to seeing some of you there and continuing our journey together.

Love and best wishes to you all X

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Thanks to everyone for another great year. I haven’t been as involved or as diligent as I would have liked but with Difficult December done and flying to Australia tomorrow!! I have had my work cut out!! I fly solo tomorrow by the skin of my pants my care cover has arrived this morning so I can hand over, I will pack this morning, make some plans for my first week or so in Sydney when I see my youngest and watch some tennis sadly no Andy Murray!! I am then on my own traveling free as a bird like I am in my 20’s again!! Have a wedding in Adelaide at the end of the month!! I meet my son again to say hi & bye he flys to NZ I am home mid Feb!! Can’t wait and hope to keep low carb throughout!!
    Love to everyone, wishing you all continued success whatever part of our journey you are on xx

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Thanks to everyone for another great year. I haven’t been as involved or as diligent as I would have liked but with Difficult December done and flying to Australia tomorrow!! I have had my work cut out!! I fly solo tomorrow by the skin of my pants my care cover has arrived this morning so I can hand over, I will pack this morning, make some plans for my first week or so in Sydney when I see my youngest and watch some tennis sadly no Andy Murray!! I am then on my own traveling free as a bird like I am in my 20’s again!! Have a wedding in Adelaide at the end of the month!! I meet my son again to say hi & bye he flys to NZ I am home mid Feb!! Can’t wait and hope to keep low carb throughout!!
    Love to everyone, wishing you all continued success whatever part of our journey you are on xx

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Thanks DCT for your kind thoughts. The bushfires are absolutely awful, I’ve lived here in Aust for almost 40 years now and can never remember it being this bad. Personally I’m ok, where I am the worst we experience is smoke-filled air, sometimes with ash falling. But my thoughts are with all the people who have lost their homes, and the families of those who lost their lives, we all feel so heavy-hearted.
    On another note, thanks for setting up the January thread DCT. I’ll see everybody over there. I have a good feeling about 2020 – after 3 years of BSD I feel like I have the skills and knowledge to finally achieve my goal this year 🙂
    Happy New Year to all my friends on here and safe travels Denise 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.