DETERMINED DECEMBER 2023 for great results

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Can you believe it. December has come around yet again. Nearly another year gone. Another year of meeting some great people on here and seeing some great results. We are all doing so well with weight loss and some of us staying well with our diabetes numbers.

I hope you are all determined to get even better results over the next 3.5 weeks before Santa comes along to stuffs your stockings. I am still sticking with my one pound a week challenge and almost meeting it with 6.25 in 7 weeks so I still have a few pounds to go before we go away.

Looking forward to seeing all the oldies (in name only) like Wendy1947, Arcticfox, SunnyB, Verano, Tulip1, Happysnap, 1960smp and, of course, we can welcome back our own Wendleg when she returns from her marvellous trip to Australia. Hope I haven’t missed anyone and welcome to any newcomers and returners.

Have a fantastic month and keep on keeping on…

Sunshine-Girl, Wendleg and SunnyB

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Hello S-G & thank you for setting up the thread.
    I’m hoping that December will be a good month for everyone 🤞🤞I have one pound or just over to finally get to my own goal of two stone lost this year & weigh on Saturday
    Good luck everyone for an excellent & determined month🍀🍀🍀
    Margaret xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you sunshine- girl (& SunnyB & Wendy) for setting up another thread and keeping us motivated.

Yes s-g it is unbelievable that another year is almost over. The best I can say to sum up 2023 is that my T2 has remained in remission. But I guess that’s why I’m here really so not to be downplayed really.

I really am ‘Determined’ to get back on track in December.

I have to be honest this morning I was 6lbs more than I was on January 1st this year. In saying that we have been away on trips for 3 months this year, spread out over the year. They were mainly catch-up cancelled trips from the last couple of years so a bit excessive. My goal for the month is to get closer to my January weight by the end of this month/year. Especially as I have a new diary/journal to start on January 1st!

I’ve also read extensively and I think I’m getting a bit stale’. I do still have ‘Ultra Processed People’ to read though. I guess I really need to renew my enthusiasm somehow…. difficult after 7.5 years! In truth my enthusiasm probably only lasted for the first 18 months or so and I’ve since been sitting on my laurels!

Well, it’s December, time to exercise some determination. Hope it’s a good month ( or maybe 24 days!)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sunshine-Girl, thanks for the new thread. As you say, scarily another year is almost spent and that season of potential overindulgence is fast looming before us.

It makes good sense to stay focused and determined this month, for as long as we are able. We must do our best to eat mindfully, so that we are fully conscious of and aware of transgressions, which let’s face it, are more likely to happen the nearer the ‘main event’ creeps.

After a reasonably successful November, I’m nicely motivated to stick with it and manage any food situations I can’t fully control, with hopefully minimal detriment. Having snuck back into the correct stone bracket, I’m keen to push on and hopeful get down to target weight (or close to) if possible.

Anyway, regardless of what happened in November, whether you saw the results you hoped for or not, let’s make the 1st December a fresh start and make at least the next three weeks count before Christmas day arrives. Remember, Santa only visits good boys and girls!

on

Nothing much to report today. We had an engineer arrive very early to check out our alarm system so I had to be up and dressed in a matter of minutes. So, not weighed today.

Verano, I have just done another FuturLearn course called Understanding Mediterranean and Okinawa diets. These are 2 blue zone diets where people tend to live to over 100. It was very interesting and nothing too difficult. I managed to finish it in about 4 half hour sessions. I know you like to do these courses.

Fish cooking in the pan so must go as it is just about ready.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Just popping in to say that I do like the name of the new thread. I’m very determined in Dec and did a 24 hour fast today to start the month off right. My eating day yesterday was too high in carbs and I paid for it. One NSV that I hadn’t even really noticed before is that my hot flushes had gone away, but one day of eating carbs and they were back, along with night sweats. Digestive upset was a big issue today as well. Oh well, low carb day it is for me tomorrow and then back to fasting on Sunday.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

I’ve just weighed & have finally managed to lose two stone!😀
    I’ve been trying since 7th January 2023 when I joined this thread & weighed 13 stone 6.5 lbs & now weigh 11stone 6.5lbs. My next goal is to reach 11stone asap, interrupted of course by the Christmas festivities, then to reach my goal weight of 10 stone.
    Thanks for all your help & support during this time!
    Margaret xx

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Good morning!
    Love the TITLE!!
    Wow, Wendy1947 that is terrific!! Well done on losing that much…
    I am rejoining the threads but admit I started off grand but coz of life I was distracted and now need to pull myself together! I know I can do it and its funny because when eating properly I do feel healthy whereas eating processed rubbish makes me feel yukky!
    I will weigh and track myself tomorrow morning as totally forgot to do so today.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks s-g I’ve just signed up!

Strangely enough I caught part of a TV program a few weeks ago about Blue Zones but can’t remember the channel to watch the rest of the series.

While I’m here, I’ve had two low carb days in a row now and the excess water weight seems to be going. Day three and I have it in hand. I think soups for lunch are helping me to stay on track.

Have a good weekend.

on

Hi all, you can thank Verano for the inspiration behind the Determined December titile.

V, I was pleased to see that the Okinawa diet contains hardly any fish but as you like fish you will see the Med diet recommends 2 portions per week. I am very happy with my diet choices and they are towards the Med style diet minus the fish although I do have 2 portions in tuna salad (not sure if canned counts) and usually cod on a Friday.

Margaret, what can I say. Whoop whoop, fantastic result and I am sure you can get down to 11 stone after Christmas but enjoy yourself anyway.

I have lost another half a pound – so 6.5lbs since 1st October. If I make it to 10lbs I will be well chuffed. That gives me even more motivation as I was thinking of sliding tonight with a glass or two of wine but know that would really upset me if I stuck or gained. Got 2 weeks and 3 days to go so not too long and then I can celebrate without any guilt. Don’t know why I feel guilty as it is not the end of the world if you are not losing or even gaining so as long as you keep trying.

1960smp you have 3 weeks until Christmas. Give it your best shot. Then you can relax.

Hope you are all having a great weekend. My task is to try on all my old dresses (I have about 10) see which fit, which suit and which are going to the charity shop.

on

Happy Sunday everyone. I have just been reading an article about finding happiness in the small things rather than waiting for the big ones like a holiday or birthday etc. Dr Chattergee suggest we should find a happy thing/place at least 3 times a week. Thinking about it I can find happy times at least once a day so I guess I am very lucky. One of my happy places is after lunch when hubby makes me a coffee and I turn on the computer and do a quiz – I love to challenge my brain. Do you have a happy time or thing, even once a week, he stated having a bubble bath with no interruptions as one but not for me, that would be my bored to death time, so we are all different.

Another happy time is Sunday morning brunch. We vary between sausages and bacon – not both. Today it was 2 grilled sausaged, grilled mushrooms, fried egg and canned tomatoes. I get so bored with food but never with this.

Weight is down again and I have lost 6.75lbs. Whoop whoop, so hoping for a clear 7lbs by Tuesday.

Have a good rest of your weekend.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you S-g & your continued weight loss is very impressive 👏👏
    My happy place is listening to music, reading, doing Wordscapes before I go to sleep & currently learning French on DuoLingo which is American based so not all British words but easily managed. I also very much enjoy going out to dinner😀. My husband & I are off to see the film Napoleon this afternoon apparently in which not one word of French is spoken!! However we are watching old French Maigret episodes on tv.
    I hope everyone is enjoy their weekend.
    Margaret xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on the continued weigh loss, SG. You’re unerring determination and progress is impressive. This weekend has been a bit of a blip for me, but having eaten at lunchtime I’m now on a fast, planning to push through to Tuesday evening.

As you know, I look for three positives a day and this has definitely had a positive impact on my mental health. Indeed, I believe it has adjusted my outlook from a glass half empty person, to more like a glass half full person. I say ‘more like’, because that is not a hard and fast rule, but I am definitely less pessimistic than I used to be.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Well done, Margaret on passing the 2 stone mark! And s-g for your continued loss.
    I’m not much further ahead at the moment, in spite of just completing a 44 hour fast. I tried my goal trousers on just to see before I broke the fast, even though I had said I wouldn’t do that for 2 more weeks. Not a lot of difference from earlier in the week, so I probably shouldn’t have tried them as I want to be able to see a significant improvement and if I keep trying them on, it might not be so noticeable. Anyway, I’m feeling much better now after my fast. Hot flushes are still present, but milder than they were after my carb slip up. I had lots of energy today before breaking my fast and completed a deep clean of the kitchen and started painting the living room walls. Today’s NSV is that my feet don’t hurt even after all those hours of standing.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g yes tuna in a can does count! Well done on your weight loss!

Well done Margaret you’ve finally reached your gaol. Perseverance pays off!

Birthdays and holidays can often to lead to disappointments probably because we tend to build them up in our minds.

I get the Dr Chatterjee newsletters and they are inspiring and yes let’s all find a ‘happy time’ as often as we can. We so often forget the small pleasures … today one of my squirrels went scurrying across the fence. So lovely to see him/her. I thought they’d gone into hibernation.

on

Hi all, V, not sure if tuna in a can counts as a good oil fish even if it is counted as a fish.

Had a slight blip up from yesterday but as there is no reason. I couldn’t even eat my dinner last night so was down on calories I did have a bit of a hypo coming on so had a slice of bread. So probably some fluid retention. Not worrying and will keep going and see what the scales bring me for my weigh in tomorrow.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi s-g I’m sure canned tuna contains omega 3’s as does canned salmon but not sure if they count as ‘oily fish’ if that makes sense. Anyway any fish us better than none!

Sorry about your ‘blip’ but as you say no reason. I just think our bodies do this now and again and indeed there is no reason. You just have to keep on keeping on ……
    …. you are doing so well, I know you won’t give in to a silly number on a scale.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you Arcticfox & Verano & everyone is doing so well 👏👏⭐️⭐️
    This week I’m taking it easier & just trying not to gain any weight & eating low carb but up to 1200 calories each day. However I have been already tempted to eat a couple of chocolates & to have a small glass of wine 🙀
    I need to keep being determined 😀
    Margaret xx

on

Hi all, Margaret we are not all doing well. I don’t know what I am doing wrong but I am back to 6lb loss and absolutely sure I have not eaten anything off plan except one slice of wholemeal bread when I was getting hypo. I am not one for giving up and still have 2 weeks to go so I will stick with it or keep on keeping on…

I am back exercising but still doing chair versions. I did a Pilates session yesterday but didn’t see much difference to yoga except for more holding stomach muscles in and holding positions and doing jerking movements up and down. Whatever, I will continue to do something every other day.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Well done on the discard Margaret, great news about the 2st. SG, I’m confident that blip is a mere aberration and you’ll soon be back on track. Arctic, glad you’re feeling better after fasting, I’m sure the trousers will fit more comfortably soon. V, hope things are still going well with you.

On the personal front, despite my weekend blip I’m comfortable in reporting that I have consolidated the drop into the correct stone bracket. Not by as big a margin as I would have hoped, but regardless even with the blip it seems to be holding.

Have been fasting since Sunday lunch … just broken that. Eating tonight and then will fast again to lunch time on Thursday. We have a busy social and long weekend ahead, so am expecting there may be an increase at next week’s weigh-in, hence doing my best to mitigate any damage ahead of time.

Anyway, regardless of how things went for you last week, dig deep, refocus and start afresh … new day, new week, new beginning!

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello all ‘Determined December’ followers.

Well last week I managed a magnificent 0.4lbs! How bad is that!

Anyway onwards we go, keeping on keeping on ………

Hope this week meets all expectations!

on

Hi all

V, that is a loss and if I look back on the last week I have actually lost a big fat ZERO. This morning I am down a little bit so I am still hopeful and not giving up. I am sure you will get some better results over the next 2 weeks. You know what we say – keep on keeping on….
    Sunny, well done on the stone marker, keep going.

Hope everyone else is having some success but if not then just KOKO.

on

Well I am still dithering around the 6lb mark. Maybe my body doesn’t want to give up anymore loss for a while. I will still keep trying up to my departure date with still 11 days to go so all is not lost (or not lost). Plus I have blood tests tomorrow so will be fasting tonight, then seeing doctor on Wednesday and as it is my normal doctor he always weighs me and right now I am a couple of kilos lighter than his last check up. That will do me fine.

It is getting colder here and I am in my thermals and trying to stay cosy. Take care everyone.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

However well done S-g not gaining more weight & good that your Doctor will see the effort you have been making when you go for your blood test tomorrow 👍
    I am pleased because I test weighed this morning & I am a few ounces lighter having fasted yesterday because we had a friend for lunch today which rather broke my usual dietary guidelines with prawn nibbles, a feta spinach pastry & salad starter, a not too bad baked pesto cod with lots of veg & a sinful white chocolate & cream with baked nectarines pud. Plus of course some wine🙀 All was delicious & enjoyed but I will do a 24 hour tonight fast & tomorrow until supper to compensate & hope that I haven’t gained any weight this week when I weigh on Saturday. It’s Mahjong tomorrow & on Sunday I’m supposed to be representing my club in a bowl’s match but my arthritic thumb & knees are playing up so I might ask my husband to substitute for me but see how I feel on Saturday.
    The Christmas tree is up with our garden bush lit up with sparkling lights so it’s beginning to feel festive. We must write our Christmas cards & I suppose I need to start wrapping presents😀🍷🍾🎅🏻🌲🎁 Unfortunately it’s not festive weather with lots of rain but a little warmer.
    Io saturnalia est Joyeaux Noel.
    Margaret xx

• posted by Verano
    on

Good afternoon.

Looking on the bright side yes s-g it was a loss and a loss is a loss! Best of luck with your blood tests and a few kilos lighter can’t be bad . Dr Gorgeous will be pleased!

Margaret hang onto your 2stone loss for as long as you can but don’t forfeit ‘living’ for a number on a scale!

Sunny pleased you’re back into a lower stone just takes time and maybe a bit of pereserverance!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hiya,
    well done Wendy1947….2 stone is fab!!

I’m a bit more like dithering December…some days I stick to plan only foods (although not super low cal yet) and some days it is a bit wonky.
    Any how, some good days are better than none…and things in my household are all currently slowly improving….it’s been overall a very stressful year, so I’m pleased to find some positives!
    Thank u SG/ SunnyB/ Wendleg for keeping us going and hi to everyone persevering with this WOE
    Love to all xxxxx

on

Hi everyone, blood results in and they are not as good as I wanted. Been around 6.2 6.3 and hoped to have gone under 6.0 but in fact I have gone up to 6.6. Not a disaster just a disappointment. I need to re-look at everything I eat. I cannot increase insulin as I am having too many low readings – which is why I thought it would be down. Will talk to doctor and see if he has any suggestions although he doesn’t understand low carb, low calorie or TRE. I know I must be doing something wrong – a piece of 72% chocolate every night maybe. Whatever it is might also be why I am not losing weight. The locum doctor didn’t include cholesterol on the test but did creatinnine and that shows uric acid and that is also high. Discussion needed. I know I don’t have a problem with kidneys as I had an echogram just over a month ago when I had the urine infection.

I think this appointment is getting longer and longer. At least we get as long as we need with our doctor and he won’t rush me.

Anyway, with Christmas coming up there is not much chance of me redeeming myself so I will have a plan for when we get back from the UK.

Keep on keeping on everyone.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

S-g so sorry to hear your blood results were not what you were hoping for. I’m wondering if drinking more water might be helpful & my sons uric acid levels went up when he was eating lots of protein & not varying his diet very much so I don’t know if that could be a factor for you? However don’t chastise yourself because you have been trying very hard to lose weight & keep healthy. Try to relax now & enjoy Christmas! I’m sure that we will all be re-assessing & getting back on track after Christmas!
    With very best wishes
    Margaret xx

on

Hi all, just taken a day out to get my head around my results. Looking back these are not bad and doctor will probably not be too worried. However, looking back at my daily finger prick results and when my HbA1c was around 5.8 I can see I was only using 7 or 8 units of insulin, my weight was around what it is now and my daily results were coming in at around 100. What upset it. 3 days in hospital. As soon as I got out of hospital my HbA1c was up to 6.4, daily insulin 24 units and daily results okay on that. I am struggling as I keep testing in the morning and having results of around 50 or 60 which is far too low so I reduce insulin and it shoots back up. I need to get doctor to do a review of my medication. I know he would expect things to get worse as I get older and the longer I have diabetes but that is not my expectation. I want the opposite. I want to improve.

Wendy47 (Margaret) thanks for the advice. Yes my doctor will say I eat too much protein but I don’t eat a lot particularly. In a day maybe 2 eggs, tuna salad and 100g mince in a bolognaise but my snacks are usually meat based like 2oz of cooked chicken breast or a slice of ham of piece of cheese. I drink water constantly, there is always a glass at the side of me, so maybe 8 to 10 glasses a day (1.5 litres).

I nearly gave in to a vodka and tonic last night but decided to see how my weight was this morning and, thankfully it is down again but sticking to the 6lbs. Determined to stay strong until at least until after my Wednesday doctors appointment.

Oh well, lets keep on keeping on…

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Gosh s-g my fingers are crossed for you to be able to reach an ongoing resolution between your diet & insulin intake.
    I weighed this morning & have gained 2lbs that I guess is mostly carb fluid from hosting a lunch on Thursday because when I weighed on Wednesday I hadn’t gained any weight. I’m back on my weight rollercoaster but never mind I am planning to enjoy my family & social meals without going too mad & will redress my inevitable weight gain after Christmas.
    Margaret xx

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g I know how disappointed you must feel but realistically your results aren’t bad really. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with a review of your medication. Is it possible that insulin no longer suits you? Anyway, I’m sure he will come up with some explanation.

Just wondering. Do you still write down all you’re eating? I certainly don’t anymore! It’s possible you’re having more carbs than you think if you’re guesstimating. Another thought is that you are not actually eating enough and your body is holding onto all it can?

Anyway hope you get it sorted but don’t be too despondent.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend mine is quite quiet, quiet is good!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! I thought the thread seemed unusually quiet until I logged on and realised I wasn’t getting notifications !!!

Glad to see lots of positivity , the occasional blip is just that and no need to stress

I can’t really interact with you about weight loss as yet as I am not in the zone. I am due to leave Cairns on Tuesday arriving in Paris Wednesday morning if all goes well .I am monitoring the situation with Cyclone Jasper which may or may not cause disruption to my flights .It’s hard to predict the course it will take but as it’s out of my control I just have to go with it and see what happens !!

It is going to be hard to leave my son, his partner and especially my beautiful grandson .I know I am going to struggle but I am trying to be realistic.The distance has to be managed and it *will * be with video calls, photos etc.I have been privileged to be part of these first two months and there will be another reunion in July next year . Someone once told me you can’t give your kids wings and then prevent them from flying .That is so true .

I have prepared for the winter evenings in Francewith various creative projects to distract me and of course I will be back with my lovely hubby .Good news too , my other son who lives in Paris is going to be moving back to our area of France in April .He can work remotely most of the time and get a train up to Paris when he needs to .

Also my nephew in Greece is getting married at the end of May so that will be good motivation to deal with any excess kilos !

So lots of positive things to look forward to .My Kindle is well stocked for the long haul flight and all will be well !!!

Take care everyone and I will be in touch , hopefully by the end of next week !

Wendy x

on

Well I gave in to a couple of vodka and tonics last night and inevitably my weight is up but just half a pound. I have been thinking that I have been solidly dieting for nearly two and a half months with no break – except for a meal out and I didn’t eat or drink as I was ill – I haven’t allowed myself any leeway. Even went totally alcohol free for October and most of November and only had about 2 evenings when I have had a drink, including last night. I feel I am in constant denial and deprivation and something has to give. Not so much the vodka but I ravaged a slice of bread and butter. Not even hungry, just craving. Maybe with the alcohol my sensible brain was not working.

Verano, yes I still log food, drink and exercise (MFP) and stick under 1000 cals and 50g carbs. Although the only exercise I have managed over the past year has been 30 days of chair yoga which helped me to loosen up a bit. That might be part of the problem as I was so used to daily or 5 times a week strenuous aerobic exercise. Now I just can’t breath, even walking is a struggle.

Wendy, it will be great to have you back and you will have so many wonderful memories. I bet there will be a few tears while you are re-adjusting, just let it happen. Great news about your other son. Also, you have so much to look forward to with your son moving close, a visit to relatives in Greece and already planning a trip to Oz. Enjoy your painting projects and relax.

I will be going away on the 19th and not back until the 30th so will expect you to take up your duties and set us off with a motivational quote for the new year.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g maybe there are new medications? Sure your doctor will sort you out.
    Best of luck.

on

Hi all, yes V, we will have a chat tomorrow. My weight is still down that 6lbs but I still won’t give up until we are ready to go away. We have visitors on Monday (housesitters) and I will be hosting a dinner and drinks so there you go. Until then it is diet as usual.

I have just been watching a Dr Becky video about how unintentional habits can creep in and how to put 5% more effort into the diet to benefit by 50% more control and weight loss. She used an example of someone putting 50ml cream in their coffee – quite enough really, compared with someone who just pours without thinking and is using 150ml of cream. Over a period of one month with 2 coffees per day it is an extra 5600 calories. Also, small habits that have crept in. I for one have the habit of eating a small square of very dark chocolate every evening after dinner. Not bad in itself as I can resist the rest of the bar with no trouble and I know some cannot. It is about 50cal but over a month it is an extra 1500 calories I didn’t really need. After the holidays I will be looking at myself and my habits with a critical eye and see where I can make small changes on habits that might be spoiling the big things I do. Something to think about.

Have a good week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you s-g. Really interesting thought and so easy to do. Good luck tomorrow,!
    Hope everyone is still ‘determined’ this December!
    Must say my determination is on the wane!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Checking in as it’s Tuesday, but not able to report on current weight, as the battery failed in my scales this morning. Will get a replacement tomorrow and see where I am. Having had quite an indulgent weekend, I’m expecting an upward blip. I am fasting right now though, hopefully through to tomorrow evening …. started yesterday afternoon.

That was an interesting point, SG … how it’s easy to get complacent when we’re not weighing and measuring what we’re consuming. Think inevitably portion sizes creep up in that situation, I know I’m guilty of it. And it’s easy to fall in to poor habits, like that square of chocolate or little nibble of cheese.

Anyway, we still have time before the festival season hits, so can still make a positive impact if we stay focused and mindful. Whatever your result has been this week, keep on keeping on, ‘cos this next week could see even better results.

on

Hi all, had a chat with doctor. He can’t think what the problem is as all my results are good but he wants me to have a full set of bloods and urine before my next visit in March. The heart problem he says is not serious, just an electrical fault that doesn’t need treatment. I had to really emphasise that it is not tiredness it is total exhaustion. He knows I am a keen swimmer so I told him I could no longer do that which although not totally true was the only thing I could think of to get him to truly understand the problem. Also, the chest pain and vomiting. I am sure we will get to the bottom of it. I feel that I should try to build up my stamina a bit at a time to get back to normal. I see the asthma doctor on Monday and I will tell her the treatment is not making any difference. Surely, if I have asthma the shortness of breath is something that happens now and then and mainly with exertion. I have trouble getting my breath from the minute I get out of bed, getting dressed is an effort, even brushing my hair plus I take the inhaler every day to no effect. Anyone out there with asthma who can tell me what it is like day by day. Should I be able to do normal everyday tasks most of the time and should the inhaler make my life normal. My grandson has asthma and can still play rugby and live normal, just has attacks in times of stress even though he is supposed to use his inhaler, he hardly bothers – teenagers!! Also, I am seeing the cardiologist in July for my annual so will discuss again if I don’t see any improvement.

He was very happy with my weight and, as for the blood results, he was very happy with them too. I told him I wasn’t and that I was using more and more insulin and he just said it was normal that my pancreas is more worn out. I said maybe my body was too used to the medications and they are not working but he won’t have it. Just that I am 18 years older so it is normal. That is possible and this diet probably has stopped me from getting worse and by now I should be suffering from liver, kidney, eye problems etc and I have managed to stave off what most doctors think of as inevitable.

So, my plan is to go all out on the Prof Roy Taylor liquid diet plus vegetables in stage 1, then follow the rest of his plan. I have his book and noticed a lot of recipes in the back – it is on Kindle so I didn’t see them before.

No more to be said. Sorry to be a bore but that is the end of it.

I hope everyone else is doing well. It is a difficult time with lots of invites and parties leading up to Christmas. I don’t have that temptation so will continue until Monday, then the partying will start 🙂

• posted by Tulip1
    on

SG, no way does that sound normal for asthma- is there any way to bring forward your cardiology review?
    Any other factors, like having had Covid?
    xxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

when did it start? was it when you were ill and had your op? Or separate to that?
    x

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Oh good heavens S-G I am so sorry to hear about your ongoing breathlessness! My husband & our eldest son have mild asthma & occasionally use their inhalers but what you are experiencing doesn’t sound right but I have nothing helpful to add apart from you trying to get a second medical opinion? I do hope you can resolve this. But good that your heart problem is under control now?
    With very best wishes
    Margaret xx

on

Hi Tulip, Thanks for that, I didn’t think asthma was so debilitating, but in old age onset it can be (Dr Google). I will try to keep this short. I noticed all these symptoms about 2 years ago. First trying to bend down to hang out the washing, I could only bend up and down for 2 or 3 times. Everything is hard, gardening, showering, dressing etc, even walking. Told my doctor and he sent me for an MRI of the thoracic area and it came back with something wrong with my lungs. From there I saw a pneumonologist and she put me in a machine that measured my lung capacity and said I have asthma. Treatment is Relvar inhaler each morning with a top up for exercise or heat etc. No improvement. In the meantime, I discovered the fault in my carotid artery so everything went into that diagnosis and eventual surgery. When I went back to the lungs doctor (easier to spell) I couldn’t do any tests as I had stitches in my throat. Had another appointment for October but lung doctor was ill so it is now going to be Monday. So she doesn’t yet know that the treatment has not worked AT ALL. Again, she speaks no English so I will be practicing all the appropriate words this weekend so I am ready to see her. Maybe she will come up with something else but they have already ruled out cancer, COPD and emphysema. I saw my cardiologist just before my surgery (Oct 2022) as I had to be fit for surgery. He said he wanted me back after the surgery and healing. In July I had a cardio and echo of the heart then he sent me for a stress test which is when he said I had a blockage in the left brachial branch. This is what my doctor calls a minor electrical fault which might need treatment eventually. So I am to go back to cardio in July. I cant really say my heart problem is sorted Margaret, just told it is not serious and doesn’t need any treatment other than the medications I am already on – blood pressure, cholesterol, blood thinners. Besides telling them they are all idiots (which I don’t think at all) I just have to go along with what they want to do. As for going back earlier, that is pointless because he already knows about it but what he has detected he will be able to see if there is any change in July. Just like my doctor sent me for blood tests last week so there is no point in sending me again until a few weeks have passed, to see if there are any changes. As for my own doctor sending me to see anyone else, he has sent me for around 3 tests (heart, lungs, arteries and veins), sent me to 3 specialists and sees me himself (or his locum) every 3 months. So not much else I can ask for. I think I will just wait and see what lung doctor says on Monday, maybe there is a different treatment. Or maybe she might come up with another diagnosis. Lets wait and see.

I will see what happens on Monday.

• posted by 1960smp
    on

OO SG this sounds a lot to have to contend with…I pray you remain well and docs can treat you accordingly, quickly!
    Verano, am struggling. Family logistics with illness, mental health issues, and so on have took me literally by surprise this month especially and have not catered for me and my needs…I hope you can get back on trcak asap.

I have literally just decided after eating dinner, I AM determined to get on this bus and stay on it. It is fruitless pretending all is well when if I can’t look after me how do I expect to look after mine!

I am sorry for anyone struggling and can totally empathise in this season especially but you CAN do it!

I applaud those who have stuck at it and continue to inspire those of us, if you can, then I can too. Thank you

Too many posts to mention all of you but we are around 12 days to the main day, so let us continue and keep hacking at those extra ££££’s

• posted by SunnyB
    on

SG, sorry you have still not been able to get to the root cause of your health problems or get any kind of satisfactory explanation, can appreciate it must be very frustrating. Hope the lung doctor can offer some sort of help on Monday.

Didn’t get out today, so still no battery in my bathroom scales, so still can’t report on where I am with the discarding process this week. Broke my fast midafternoon with a bowl of homemade veg soup. Will probably OMAD tomorrow. Fingers crossed I’ve largely mitigated the impact of the weekend indulgences.

SMP, life knocks us all off track from time to time, but glad you have been able to refocus and start to pull things back. And as you say, there is still time to make some headway, before the main event hits.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Ah…..cross fingers for the pneumonologist review 🤞🤞🤞

I guess what I meant was that the symptoms don’t sound very typical of asthma (yes severity but also symptom wise re more expected wheeze, bouts rather than constant and then not responding to inhaler)….but, the lung doctor will be the expert in this…

(just my thoughts based on some respiratory rotations early in my career before I specialised in musculoskeletal and the last couple of years with my Long Covid work, plus mum, myself and daughter with asthma and mum now with bronchiectasis…and I have different breathing issues as well, separate to the asthma, since having Covid….I also have sleep apnoea of course which is different again…none of these are especially like what you describe though….you also have some cardiac things going on and something giving you fatigue)….I’m not an expert though…..

You are a superstar (re the detail you look into and constant work on your health, and your medical team seem very on it and are specialists in their fields so hopefully someone will help you get sorted)

xxx

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g … on dear! My heart goes out to you. It certainly looks like you are being well looked after by your medical team and you are doing the best you can for yourself.
    I wonder if your lung doctor has missed something. Anyway, no point in guessing wait until you see her on Monday. Hopefully she will come up with something and put your mind at rest and solve the problem.
    Just a thought, and not suggesting your French isn’t up to scratch, but would taking a native speaker with you help? Sometimes when it comes to medical issues nuances may be missed?

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

S-g I do hope that seeing your lung consultant on Monday will be very helpful for you & I will be thinking of you then & sending my very best wishes your way.
    Reading all your posts I am in awe of the way so many of you are having to cope with complex medical problems & are still keeping on going helping yourselves with this way of eating. All anyone can do is to take it one day at a time to try to look after ourselves as best we can. I haven’t much to report apart from trying not to gain any weight in the run up to Christmas yet still managing to enjoy seeing family & having festive meals. It was my bowls club Christmas lunch yesterday & I will try 24 hour fasts until supper today & again tomorrow weighing on Saturday but will find it difficult.
    I hope you can all have a good week.
    Margaret xxx

on

Hi everyone, weight is now a loss of 6.5lbs and I am still determined to reach 7lbs by Monday. I am like a terrier with a bone.

Questions about my condition. Lung doctor has seen numerous test results MRI, chest Xray, blood tests etc plus the lung capacity ones she has done herself. I didn’t get to have a full review on my last appointment because I was stitched up like Frankensteins monster with clips and stitches instead of a bolt 🙂 Better luck this time. My friends are either French that don’t speak English or English who don’t speak French. Also, I would have to get them to translate technical medical terms – which, as an ex-nurse at least I understand. I have the words about feeling exhausted as opposed to just tired which she translates as sleepy whereas I mean totally knackered. epuisee and pas d’endurance – meaning exhausted and no stamina. Maybe Wendleg has some words I can use – shame she is so far away, even when she is in France.

My doctor listened to my chest and said I have no wheezing or whistle. BP 120/60, pulse 64 and heart sounds are good as well as lungs.

We are in the final throws of getting ready for our sitters – just washing some fluffy warm blankets for them to wrap up in, although our house is warm, just to make them cosy. Last minute cleaning is oven which I hate and fridge. Might get hubby to do oven in exchange for me doing frige.

Packing to start and on top of everything else we have a builder coming on Monday to look at a leak in the office ceiling. Hey ho, everything comes at once.

• posted by Verano
    on

S-g you ‘sound’ much brighter today!
    Just concentrate on your trip now. Enjoy!

• posted by 1960smp
    on

Think I forgot you’re going away SG so hopefully you will get positive news from ur doctor / team and this will help you enjoy time away.
    We went away this Summer for.a long weekend and met folks who were house sitters from Australia!! They had started up in Scotland and made their way down the country sitting at varying homes til they reached London then home! Fascinating!
    Hoping to make a dent in my weight the next week or so. Am just not feeling it. So hard right now as others in my house like the high carb treats on offer this season 🙃

Please log in or register to post a reply.