Day 1 started off ok and then oops!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rob1n
    on

So my wife and I started on the Fast 800 yesterday. Neither of us are diabetic but I am 4 stone over weight and my wife around 2. Our sons who live with us are now cooking their own meals and we have put their ingredients in a different place to ours. Using the 2 weeks meal plan in the Fast800 book, we purchased all the ingredients for week 1. I also looked on here for the recommended ration of carbs/protein/fat (40/40/30) and put that into My Fitness Pal so I can keep an eye on what I’m doing.

So yesterday I started off with porridge and then I took to work the powder for the strawberry shake (which I have to say was disgusting, so when this runs out I won’t buy another!) Drank spearmint tea or water all day. Missed my mid-morning banana, so had sparkling water instead. So far, so good. My wife also had porridge for breakfast then a salad for lunch.

Come tea time, we were both really hungry but pleased with ourselves that we stuck to the diet! I then cooked the chicken, coconut and lentil curry. Really tasty and we both enjoyed it and thought wow, can cope with this if the main meals are like this. Then put the ingredients into MFP which came up with I was 500 calories over!! I checked I had put all the ingredients in correctly and told my wife and she checked too. We went back to the recipe and the calories should have been 360 per person. Then we realised my mistake….yep, the recipe was for 4 people and we had eaten the whole lot between 2 of us! So cross with myself.

Nevermind, today is a new day and I’m making sure to check how many people the recipe is for!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Common mistake Rob, dont worry about it too much, its all learning. And although you “over ate” you did eat good clean food and i bet it was a vast improvement on what you would previously had.

Regarding the shakes……. yes thats a common opinion. However, I quite like the….BUT…. i smash up some frozen berries and shake them in with the powder and water, it improves the texture massively and makes the flavours more interesting. Even smashed ice helps with the texture. Give it a go next time you use the shake. But really – “proper” food is better so look for salads or soups at lunchtime. Or an egg wrap with tuna / salmon / cream cheese.

Good luck, dont be tough on yourself, today is a new day for sure!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Rob1, your post made me smile, yes we have all made that mistake. Never mind, as you say tomorrow is another day.

• posted by Rob1n
    on

Thanks WindyJulz. I’ll give the berries a go for sure. Also you wrap ideas. Thank you so much.
    Also thanks sunshine-girl – glad I made you smile. Today I am smiling about it too!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Rob1n,

I’m new to here too, my husband and I started last week, so we’re still learning too.

I have made similar mistakes to you previously, and when a recipe states serves 4 it’s sometimes just too tempting once it’s already cooked!

I am also tracking on MyFitnessPal and try to plan a day to 3 ahead, there is nothing worse than logging on to find you have 63 cal left for supper that day 🙂

Good luck to you both!

• posted by Rob1n
    on

Hi Ruby
    Congratulations on starting this too – another newbie like us!
    I think had we realised before we ate it, we could have coped, the problem was didn’t realise until afterwards! However, we are back on track now and had 2 good days. I tested my urine first thing this morning and it shows ketosis has started, so I am hoping it will continue. My wife also tested herself, but unfortunately she hasn’t!

We have planned the food all the way up to Sunday. Tomorrow, we will plan next week and make sure we get the food in when the delivery comes on Saturday.

I have been over on calories and carbs everyday so far according to MyFitnessPal, but it still seems to be working. I did go on the scales this morning and had lost 3 lbs since Monday morning. I know it’s early days and I wouldn’t normally weigh that frequently, but I was just interested.

I hope it goes ok for you both too. Thank you for taking time to respond to my post.

• posted by Rob1n
    on

Well, after 1 week, I lost 8 lbs, and my wife lost 7 lbs, so that is a good start. Not feeling too hungry now in between meals and managing to not have anything in between meals either. Week 2 here we come!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thant’s excellent progress Rob1n, well done to you both!

Roll on week 2 and keep at it!

• posted by Rob1n
    on

Thanks Ruby. Well 2 weeks in and lost my 1st stone 🙂 My wife has lost 12 lbs too so we are both really happy. On the outside, I don’t look any different and my measurements remain the same, but clearly on the inside, things are happening. I am finding I do miss desserts and my lager and wine! It gets very desponding that one of my sons is drinking my beer and I can’t have one! Although yesterday I did have a small glass of wine with my Sunday roast dinner (minus Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes!) as ensured we were still in calories and carbs.
    Am finding my breath smells a bit, so maybe need more water or spearmint tea?
    So, roll on week 3.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Well done Rob1n and Mrs Rob1n!

I think the breath is a sign of ketosis – someone with much more knowledge will come along and confirm or deny that.

My husband is missing his local beer too, but is focused on the goal at the moment and has managed 2 weekends with no beer, and we don’t have anyone else in the house to distract us, which does make life easier. My second week in I asked about dessert recipes too, but I really don’t like using artificial sweeteners so I have avoided any of those and to be honest the sweet craving has just about gone. We shared a single square of 95% Lidl chocolate on Saturday night (he didn’t want to exceed his calories so gave me half the square).

Good luck!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,
    Just popping in to say yes, when you are in ketosis there is a difference in your breath.

Keto breath produces a distinct taste or odour in the mouth that’s different from ordinary halitosis or bad breath. Some people describe keto breath as having a metallic taste. In addition to a funny taste in the mouth, keto breath can be fruity-smelling or have a strong odour that’s similar to nail polish remover.

One of the ways for testing if you are in ketosis is by using one of the cheap breathalysers

• posted by Rob1n
    on

Hi JGwen – thank you for this. Yes, I am definitely in Ketosis. Just as well I’m not in the office much at the moment as working with others might be a problem! My kids have been complaining about it!!
    On another note, so on Monday, my 2 week weigh in showed I lost 1 stone. Any ideas why then that since then I have put on 3 lbs and hardly losing anything at all? I am doing exactly the same as the last 2 weeks, so don’t know why I am not now losing? I know it’s only been 3 days since I weighed in, but the last 2 weeks I lost around a 1 lb a day. This time I put on and hardly losing at all.

Very frustrating.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Rob1n
    i think that monitoring progress via the scales alone is a mistake. A little bit of myth busting may be needed to explain why.

Our bodies need water to help process a high carb diet. So they hold on to water. – When you cut out the carbs, you body releases that water. – So you get a rapid weight loss at the start. – After a time this will slow down. and it does seem to be common that weight loss sticks for a bit after the first few weeks.

When you are eating a high carb diet your insulin levels are high, and when insulin levels are high it blocks your body from producing growth hormone. So when you have low insulin levels your body starts to catch up on all the overdue maintenance of your bones and muscles. Both of which are better when stronger but also weigh more.

Your body weight is also based on what is in your digestive system. – 800 calories of celery weighs more than 800 calories of cheese.

Then there is your water intake. 1 litre of water – 1 kilo. (or 2.2 lbs) so where you are in your water intake / water output will make a change in the readings on the scales for that day.

Finally 1lb of fat = 3500 calories of energy. – So do you really expect to burn 3500 calories more than you eat every day? 🙂

Monitoring with the aid of a tape measure, or target clothes is probably better. But remember that our bodies will get rid of the fat around the organs before getting rid of the fat under the skin. – Also our bodies tend to pick on locations we don’t want it to focus on. So many of us have dropped a shoe size before starting to loose weight from our waists.

The bottom line is if you are keeping carbs low enough to be in ketosis, and eating less calories than you burn your body will be accessing your body fat to make up the difference. No need to worry, just trust the process.

• posted by Rob1n
    on

Thanks JGen for explaining that to me. That makes perfect sense. I won’t worry, just trust the process as you suggest.
    Thanks again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.