Day 1

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by ColandClaire
    on

Today is day 1 on the BSD for myself and the wife we both have type 2 diabetes and are overweight, we’ve slowly stocked the cupboard up with ingredients we’ve never eaten and even bought a new food processor! This regime us now or never, we are doing this for ourselves, each other and also the kids. One question though is are there any lunches that can be picked at and don’t require cooking as I am a van driver and don’t get to have a lunch break as such. I am trying the ploughman’s from the book but don’t think I can eat it five days a week! Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Any salad, fritatta, humus with veg dippers are easy and quick.
    Check out the what have you been eating thread for loads of other recipes.
    At the start I considered myself to be in the last chance saloon, now I feel I have a whole new life after just 15 weeks
    down from 16:9 to 13:13 with blood sugars almost normal without meds
    Best of luck to both of you and if yu run nto any problems, just give us a shout, we’re all here to help 🙂

• posted by ColandClaire
    on

Cheers Bill1954 will have a look at those recipes when I get home.

• posted by ColandClaire
    on

Well into Day 4 and although I have those hunger pangs sometimes I can beat it down with drinking some water. In the first few days I have lost 7 lbs in weight with the missus losing 4! The problem we have is what to have to eat as there is so many choices and we are trying foods that we have never eaten before. I was so proud of resisting temptation like sweets being left in my van by another driver walking through the supermarket and breezing past the chocolate bars. Long may it continue!!!!!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi ColandClaire,

Well done. As you said, there are so many healthy BSD food choices. It’s so much easier to walk past the tempting foods when no longer driven by carb cravings. Looking forward to reading of your progress.
    Enjoy your new way of life together.

• posted by Davena
    on

I’m on day 2 and think I may be overeating as I don’t feel too hungry! I’m keeping tabs on my eating by using an online calorie counter/menu diary. It SEEMS as if I’m within my 800 cals a day limit but, still, I don’t feel very hungry. *worried*

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Davena
    Don’t worry about it – if you’re sticking to the principles of the diet, drink lots and and not cutting back on fat, that should help keep you feeling full.
    I’ve not been particularly hungry ether (day 8) – but to be honest, I have been overeating for so many years, I’m not entirely sure I really know what hungry feels like!
    Bored/craving food or sweet stuff, yes, lots – but that’s often when I know I can’t be hungry because I’ve just eaten.

I’ve had a few days under 800, and a couple a bit over (none over 1,000) – the only big slip up that I’ve had was one evening when I got in latish one evening, thought “I’m not hungry” and didn’t bother to eat supper.
    Later on I had a piece of cheese , only 30g, surprisingly tiny, but it contained more calories than the meal I’d planned, then sometime after midnight, TWO snack pack of Oat Cake things.

• posted by Davena
    on

Hello Kathy54
    Thanks so very much for your words of encouragement. Your past eating habits sound just like mine!

What methoid do you use to keep tabs on what you’ve eaten?
    Do you know of an online diary where I can keep a note of EVERYTHING I eat during the day and will tot up the carbs and calories for me? I’ve found one but it’s American and I’m not used to the measurements they use.

• posted by Kathy54
    on

Devena welcome to the BSD a lot of people use an app called MyFitnesspal which is good.

• posted by Davena
    on

Thanks so much, Kathy54,
    That’s the one I’ve been using but don’t trust the measurements because they use ounces and cups which I’m not really used to and half the time I’m guessing!

• posted by Davena
    on

AND I have put ON half a pound in two days. I’m seriosuly concerned. 🙁

• posted by Kathy54
    on

Devena what sort of things are you looking up as I have been using it for years. You can also add your own using the information from the packaging. If you are seeing things in cups they sound like they have been added by other people.

• posted by Davena
    on

Kathy54,
    This is also new to me and I see I have posted my reply to you in ‘Frog’s’ post!! SORRY!

Please log in or register to post a reply.