Dairy or not?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MareeM
    on

I have been advised to avoid dairy, but want to start the BSD, can we substitute dairy – if so what with, or should I just remove dairy from the recipes? Which would reduce the calories? any ideas please?

• posted by Mariet
    on

No expert here but I am thinking that some recipes you may be able to up the fat slightly and the water though i don’t know how successfully the recipe would turn out! In others you may find that you need a substitute. Possibly Soy milk or Almond milk if you like the flavours. If you go for Soy milk it is a little lower in calories (about 64per 100ml) and a little higher in carbs (5.1 vs 4.8). Almond milk is only 29 cal and 4.4g carbs for the same amount. Some people like it, I’m not one 🙂

Do you have to avoid yohgurt as well? Often lactose intolerant people can still manage yoghurt and cheese- I’m only guessing that that’s your reason for avoiding dairy though. I don’t know of any subs for them though there are vegans on the forums who might be able to help.

I am sure there is a work around, this way of eating is very flexible. Good luck!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Advised by whom and for what reason, may I ask? No need to share if you’re not comfortable with it. I’m just curious if it’s medical advice based on an intolerance or senstivity you might have or one of those “I read somewhere that someone at some point had x problem and they stopped eating dairy and it miracle cured them on the spot” things.

Whether you really need to cut dairy I can’t tell you. I’m always suspicious because I’ve been given every kind of stupid and useless advice there is in the world and nothing did a damn bit of difference in my life until the BSD. Meanwhile, there are plenty of non-dairy sources of fat. Nuts and seeds are packed with delicious healthy fats, as are avocadoes, olives/olive oil, soybeans, salmon, mackerel, sardines, eggs and meat from grass-fed pasture raised animals. For alternative milks, check out hemp milk. It’s creamy in texture, neutral in flavor, drinkable on its own or as part of a recipe and very high in healthy fats and protein. Coconut cream (the solids that rise to the top of a can of coconut milk after it spends the night in the fridge) is one of the richest, butteriest foods I’ve ever had. A couple of tblsp of it mixed with chia seeds make a delicious and shockingly filling dessert or breakfast.

Good luck!

• posted by MareeM
    on

Thanks for the quick response. I have been advised by a naturopath and a Chinese medical practitioner, however as not much has changed I think I’ll commit 100% to BSD and see how I go. One of the things that I like about this approach is that it provides recipes that comply with the calorie requirements, if I start changing things around who knows where I might end up. Thanks again for the quick responses. Cheers!

• posted by Ancient Weaver
    on

MareeM, are you still around? How does the person who advised you to avoid dairy know you need to?
    I have recently discovered the depth of the problems that cows milk casein has caused me. All have been ignored or trivialised by doctors, or at best treated in some way, but not linked to the root cause. It’s only thanks to a chance event about 30 years ago, that I have been able to narrow down the cause to cow’s milk, but the first symptom started as a baby and was considered normal and acceptable . . .

The effects build up and abate so very slowly, that I am not going to be able to find out if there is anything else that causes similar problems e.g. gluten or goats milk casein, by simple elimination.
    I suppose I should be thankful (and I am really) that I know I am ok with ewes milk.

esnecca, doc told me there was no simple test for casein intolerance and that the best way was to eliminate and see if I got better . . . which I have! (Just not completely. . .yet?)

• posted by MareeM
    on

Hi Ancient Weaver the naturapath undertook a series of tests and i think it was something to do with my liver. I’ve been folllowing the food plan pretty closely, incl dairy although not much, and am doing well with weight and also feeling great.

Please log in or register to post a reply.