Daily sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lynchick
    on

I’m using my fitness pal app to track my intake 50 yr old lady
    carbs and fat at 40g
    protein at 70g

What should the daily sugar be it is set at 45g ??

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Lynchick
    Welcome to the BSD, hope you will achieve your goals and enjoy the process. I don’t personally use any apps to track my intake, but I would have thought that your daily sugar intake needs to fall within your carb intake, as essentially sugars are carbs. If you allow an additional amount for sugars, you are going to be way over on the daily carbs. If I’m incorrect in this, someone will surely let us know.
    Make good use of the forum – you can use the search box in the top right corner to look for specific topics. We’re quite a friendly bunch and you’ll find a welcome on the various threads. Shout if you have any problems. Best of luck to you- hope to read more posts from you soon.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I would say no sugar sugar allowed, i.e. in tea or cooking. Sugar is pure carbohydrate at 100 grams being 100% so if I can do some calculations – 1 teaspoon is 4.3 grams, say 4 cups of tea and you are up to 17 grams, nearly half your daily allowance (assuming 50 grams). Also 16 calories per teaspoon x 4 would be 64 calories from an 800 allowance. But more than that, it will upset the way your body needs retraining not to crave carbs or sugars and will make cravings harder to get rid of. Plus is has no nutritional value at all, no vitamins, no useful minerals, no potassium, nothing, nada, just sweetness.

There are hidden sugars that you also need to be aware of so look at labels – a famous one is tomato ketchup – also cornflakes but we dont eat cereals for that reason as well as it being high carb.

• posted by Lynchick
    on

Thankyou both, my question wasnt worded very well I’m not having any added sugar the app is just calculating the sugar value in the natural foods like apple capsicum natural yoghurt. But I thank you for your replies.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ve never really tracked it separately, refined carbs convert to sugars so quickly that it just seemed easier to track net carbs and keep all of them low. I do try to limit fructose specifically, due to the fact that it can only be processed by the liver, to avoid visceral fat deposits.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I use MyFitnessPal and it splits out the sugar too. I found it too fiddly to change that setting to the extremely strict limit I wanted within the 800 calorie ceiling, so I set my preferred macro limits (20 grams carbs, 55 grams fat, 58 grams protein) and let the sugar stay at whatever it wanted, which is a ludicrous and contradictory 63 grams. I ignore the limit and keep the sugar count as close to zero as possible, which isn’t as hard as you’d think because I don’t eat fruit and avoid even vegetables that aren’t naturally low in sugars. Today my total sugar count was a single gram from a small cucumber in my salad. Yesterday it was zero. It’s been zero since last Wednesday, in fact, when I had 1 gram of sugar from a luxurious 30-gram serving of Brazil nuts.

• posted by Lynchick
    on

Thanks everyone great advice 😊

Please log in or register to post a reply.