cooking for one

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seaviewjoy
    on

have people found ways to economically cook for one while still having variety?

• posted by MrsPink
    on

I bought a book on Amazon called “The Essential Blood Sugar Diet Meals For One” which is a “Quick Start Guide” and it looks pretty good although I haven’t tried any of the recipes yet.
    What I plan on doing is making the same food for my husband and son as I am having, but serving them rice, pasta, potato etc in addition to what I am having.
    Good luck!

• posted by Seaviewjoy
    on

thanks very much. good luck to you too.

• posted by Jande9
    on

That is what I’ve been doing. I’m retired and my wife is still working, so I have been doing most of the cooking. Lean protein plus lots of vegetables, and then a starch for her. She says she has been getting enough to eat and I am losing weight. We have been doing this since Nov 1 and since she likes vegetables a lot it has worked out well.

The only issue is all the pots and pans from the 4-5 different veggies every night. Too much washing up!

Jan

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Hi SEAVIEWJOY, I have been BSDing for about 3months and living on my own most of my cooking/food prep is for one. In terms of variety my freezer is my best friend. I usually buy fresh meat, fish etc that has the snowflake symbol, I don’t overload the freezer, so get through it reasonably quickly. I sometimes buy fresh veg in larger quantities and freeze. For me freezing in portion sizes is the key, I just have to remember to get stuff out of the freezer ahead of time, but I have found that with BSD forward meal planning is a massive help, so I’ve become used to it now. Occasionally I use food from the frozen section in store, but I prefer to see what I’m getting before I buy. I usually have a few tins of sardines, mackerel and tuna in the cupboard.

Fresh veg and salad always fill my fridge, green leafy stuff for the first few days after weekly shop and more hardy veg like celery, cucumber, tomatoes for later in the week.

I have just reached my weight goal and am well on the way to my health and fitness goals. I have come to adore the BSD way of eating and I hope you find it helpful and beneficial on your journey. All the best to you!

• posted by Seaviewjoy
    on

Thats very useful Daisiemum. Congrats on reaching your goal.
    I will get together a menu for the week today. I can cook and i like it but if there is to be variety i figured there could be waste. I usually have eggs for brekkie every day so i might just stick to that. For starters. I could freeze soups and good point about the tins. Thanks

• posted by Laska
    on

Hi, I cook for one most of the time also. I am just re-starting BSD again after several months off and an almost 2st regain sadly 🙁 .

But I was successful before at this, and what I did before (and have just done again) is stock up on some already portioned salmon steaks and chicken / turkey breasts.. (Sainsburys have unfrozen packs portioned up for the freezer in the fresh meat and fish aisle if you are in UK) and when I see some nice expensive meat such as steak, duck or lamb ‘reduced for quick sale’ I get it and portion it up for the freezer in 150/175 cal portions .. This means I then have a choice and just take out one thing in the morning before I leave for the day.

I also have invested in tupperware (equivalent) and when I am cooking I calorie count the total recipe from myfitnesspal (say, for example a chilli or casserole) divide it into 200/250 cal portions , and freeze.

Then with a veg like cauli or courgette or green beans or salads those portion sizes makes a good dinners for me.

I also make low cal soups , although previously I had eggs for breakfast and often just miso soup for lunch and it seemed to be enough..

Now I have to get back and practice what I preach!!

• posted by Anonymous
    on

Hi – check out the bain marie method of cooking in recipes. If you don’t like the idea then cook for more then one portion & freeze in portion sizes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.