Constipation

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shrinkydinkyman
    on

For three days now not been able to go to the loo. Drinking lots of water and Red Bush tea.
    Eating plenty of green veg and salad. But nothing’s moving!
    Anyone else experiencing problems?
    Advice please……

• posted by malkay
    on

A few prunes did it for me.

on

It finally happened! I remembered and old trick I was taught years ago. Wake up half an hour earlier than normal. Drink one pint of water, lay flat on your back on bed and within half hour or less you will need to GO!
    Apologies to anyone grossed out or offended by my post. But I thought other’s suffering make need help but didn’t like to ask.
    Weight loss now back on track. Second day of week four. Over twenty pounds lost.
    Best wishes everyone.
    Shrinky.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Not grossed out at all shrinky.
    Thats a very handy tip for coping with one of the pitfalls of this new lifestyle. Thanks

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi shrinkydinkyman, my dad has a similar trick – it involves downing a boiling hot cup of tea as fast as you can, ignoring the burning feeling. I guess the same would be true of a very hot mug of water! I suffer from bouts of diverticulitis and I read somewhere during a bout not to eat anything too hot as it triggers the bowels to move! Might be worth trying. Sorry if this is a bit gross at this time of the morning!

• posted by AnnaJennings
    on

I had a similar problem a week ago when I had to attend a week long -unplanned as short notice- residential course. I was a bit stuck as all meals were provided and I had to choose very carefully what I could eat , which wasn’t very much! Even though I drank at least 3L of water a day after 4 days I resorted to a well known laxative ….. I think that eating the right amount and types of food as well as the water must be the answer ? Or perhaps it has something to do with our bodies adapting?

• posted by Bre123
    on

I’ve found that if you have a full fat natural yoghurt with 10 g of linseed seeds and 10 g of pumpkin & sunflower seeds it works a treat. If you don’t like yoghurt, I think it is the linseed seeds that do the trick so you could use them in other dishes.

on

Thanks for the tip about linseed seeds. They also make a great coating for chicken breasts and dish fillets.

• posted by FoFi
    on

Hi, I have been wondering that as I am now eating less than 1/3 of what I used to, perhaps going to the loo every 3 days is the new normal. I always ate lots of fruit and veg and I wouldn’t say I feel uncomfortable. What do others think?

• posted by Healthyme15
    on

Hi Shrinkydinkyman,

I guess you should have to try this Digestic by Mimonis which is an herbal supplement that is very effective in relieving constipation problems. It works well to me when I was constipated too a few weeks ago. It brings my bowel movement back to normal so I am much confident with it.

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

Psyllium husks are good for keeping things moving – or at least stopping the stool becoming hard and impacted. Available from Holland and Barratt. I have also always believed what FoFi says – the less volume you eat, the less waste you produce, so the less often you need to pass it.

• posted by Kiwispot
    on

Bre123 – Thanks for the tip about the yoghurt and seeds. Do you leave them all whole???
    Just eating them now, but I seem to remember hearing you only get the nutritional value if you chop the linseeds up. But I guess we are eating them for a different purpose here!

• posted by Bre123
    on

Hi Kiwispot
    I do leave the seeds whole in my yoghurt but I try to chew and crush them as I go. They are certainly helping me stay regular ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Kiwispot
    on

Thanks Bre123 I enjoyed the yoghurt & seeds this morning. Hope they help tomorrow! ๐Ÿ˜

• posted by Chameleonbeetle
    on

There are heaps of prebiotic foods available too. I enjoyed sauerkraut with some foods and am going to try kimchi next.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

The team have already removed the post and link to the quack remedies. Please don’t do it again

• posted by MaryR
    on

I was reluctant to use OTC laxatives for this problem, and found a probiotic product in our local independent health food shop. I won’t post the brand if the moderators don’t like it, but they are sachets of 5 billion bifidobacterium lactis, with Fructooligosaccharide fibres (FOS).

• posted by ElMary
    on

Thank goodness this was posted! I’ve been having these issues too and thought it was just me! Definitely recommend the psyllium husk. We have a product here called metamucil and you can get natural husk from any supermarket.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi elmary, the constipation seems to sort itself out eventually. I just put a teaspoon of ground flaxseed on my yoghurt and it seems to do the trick ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by SOS
    on

There”s a good explanation on the reddit site about how fewer carbs = fewer poos. Every 3/4 days is fine. I have tried several times to share the link here but my infuriating tablet won’the let me. Google reddit fewer poops!

• posted by shalimar
    on

No …… i haven’t really solved the problem.

I am a baby sloth!!! I “go” once a week! … usually with “help”

Check out Baby Sloths get potty trained (2 1/2 minutes)

http://www.animalplanet.com/tv-shows/too-cute/videos/too-cute-baby-sloths/

I am even thinking of a colonic irrigation …. 70 Canadian dollars. But i’ve never done it …. and it sounds kinda icky.

• posted by Frog
    on

loved the swaddle one, he looked like ET

I was at London zoo a few ears ago when they first started doing zoo lates and opening in the evening.

Turned out sloths can move faster when they want to, and whizzed out of their enclosure and over visitors heads towards bird food that wasn’t meant for them at all – very ingenious using piping and cables to swing up to get it.
    The keepers were astounded – hadn’t realised their nocturnal activities!
    thankfully it didn’t cause the concern that the wandering gorilla did the other week

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I don’t know if it has been mentioned as I have not read all the posts but have you tried chia seeds, just a teaspoon in your smoothie, or sprinkled on a yoghurt, put it in your soup as a thickener. It certainly speeds things up in the bottie area, so don’t over do it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.