Confused by carbs, of which sugars

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Elizabeth Bennet
    on

Hi everyone,

I have tried to look through various threads but am still confused. I am a few weeks into the Fast 800 diet and have lost 11lb, so am pleased but, when using my Ketostix to check how far into ketosis I am, I am still virtually at the bottom of the scale.

Although I have kept under 800 calories every day, I think that perhaps my carbs are still too high. I thought I was having 20g a day at the most, but wonder if I have been calculating them wrong. Can someone clarify for me how to count them for this specific diet?

I will use small tomatoes on the vine as an example. The nutritional values for the ones I have are… per 100g… Carbohydrates 3.1g, of which sugars 3.1g, Fibre 1.2g.
    If I have 100g of these tomatoes, how many of my 20g have I actually used?

Please help! 🙂

Wendy

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there Elizabeth. Sounds like you are doing great. My simple understanding of carbs vs sugar, as I was getting it wrong too, is that when it says total carbs and then ‘of which are sugars’ you only need to count the sugars as the rest are fibre. So for example, a can says 12g per 100g carbs of which 6g is sugar then you only count the 6g times or minus the actual amount you have. If you have 100g then count 6g, if you have 50g then you have 3g carb and if you have 200g then you have 12g carbs. I know not everything comes in pack or tins so when you ask Google to tell you the nutritional information you use the same process as it will always come up with carbs and sugars as 2 separate reading. Hope that helps. By the way, the pee sticks are extremely inaccurate unless of medical quality.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

If in the UK, as fibre has already been deducted on our nutrition panels, you count whatever is shown as the total carbs, so if it says carbs 3.5g, sugars 1.5g, fiber 1.4g, you count the 3.5g figure (or portion thereof depending on how much of the product you had).

on

Hi. Thank you.

So, just to clarify, EVEN IF some of the UK nutritional panels have the fibre listed on them, in addition to the carbs, (like my tomatoes do), I still don’t take it off the Total carb grams?

So if I have 100g of tomatoes and the label on it states:
    Carbohydrates 3.1g
    of which sugars 3.1g
    Fibre 1.2g.

I count 3.1g against my daily amount? I definitely don’t take the 1.2g off?

• posted by Niknak87
    on

That’s correct Elizabeth.
    I think the Keto plan came out in the US who minus the fibre from their carb to get the net carb, but here in the UK this is already worked out so total carbs is correct.
    US net carbs = UK total carbs

on

Thank you for that. It’s going to make a big difference.
    Trying to lose weight and be healthy is SO confusing!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Elizabeth you are so right on the confusion side and that is why my fitness pal is my saving grace and the barcode scanner is a gift from god🤣🤣. Well done on your 11lb discard you are doing great and I am sure now that you have your carb bit sorted you will fly through. All the best on your continued journey. Birdy💞🦜

Please log in or register to post a reply.