Confused

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Memamo
    on

Hello all…I’m hoping there is someone who can help!

I was on the 5:2 diet and doing pretty well…that was a few years back. Low mood and self esteem have since seen me heavier than when I started. So i have been again.

However, I am confused. I seem to be doing 16:8 with 5:2 and the blood sugar diet all in one! And I have been for 2 weeks and my weight is barely shifting, although I have seen some change in my figure.

I have read the associated books and articles but I think I have read too much hence the confusion. So my main questions are:
    1. Do I stick to the BSD fast where for 8 weeks I eat 800 calories then switch to 5:2?
    2. On the switch to 5:2, do I stick to 800 call on my 5 days?
    3. Do I ignore the 16:8 rule?

Ps I am getting in some exercise each day.

TIA

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Memamo – welcome and yes, I can see you have become quite muddled and why that might happen. My personal advice would be to choose either the Fast 800 or the 5:2, re: read the relevant book and stick to the principles outlined.

I personally struggled with the 5:2, finding it difficult to balance things on the five days, with fasting for two. I found that I overate on the five days. However, others cope very well with this eating pattern and for whom it works well.

The Fast 800 approach made better sense for me and has allowed me to achieve my goals. If you take the Fast 800 approach, the 16:8 eating pattern fits in nicely once you have settled into the rhythm of this way of eating.

Some people swap to 5:2 after achieving their goals with Fast 800, but I would say most on the forum opt to adjust to maintenance by increasing calories whilst keeping a tighter control on their carb intake. However, again, there is no ‘one size fits all’, so there is some trial and error involved for most of us.

I have no idea if any of the above will be of help, but perhaps consider looking in on the weekly thread, where a lot of advice and info is exchanged. It’s also a great place to ask questions, as there is plenty of experienced based knowledge to be tapped into.

Whatever approach you choose to take, I wish you every success.

• posted by Memamo
    on

Thank you for your helps…this makes sense now. I will stick with the BSD800 and within a 16:8 window.

I wonder one more thing…is it normal to suffer acid reflux?

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I haven’t heard of reflux issues with a specific connection to this way of eating. It could be worth asking the question on the weekly thread though, just in case anyone there has any knowledge in this area.

Please log in or register to post a reply.