Checking in after holiday.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi *waves*. I’m back. Yippee!

Hello to all the newbies this week.

After an interesting week away (letter of complaint just emailed) – long story, I’m catching up with everything.

So how did I do? I did manage to eat low-carb, leaving the carbs which were served with meals.

At the first hotel, the breakfast buffet included hard boiled eggs, thinly sliced cooked meats and cheeses, as well as scrambled egg and frankfurters. So that was ok. When I changed hotels, their breakfast buffet included the same, but also included fried eggs and baked beans. So a good start to the day.

Lunch. Monday was at the airport, so my usual – all-day breakfast but no toast or any other carb items.

Tuesday – TGI Friday (don’t ask!). 8oz steak, steamed broccoli and seasonal vegetables. Couldn’t finish it, so took half the steak back to the hotel for later. Also bought some mini Babybels (hotel 1 in bad area so didn’t venture out at night).

Wednesday – morning sorting out change of hotels. Lunch in Czech restaurant in shopping mall. 1/4 roast duck with red cabbage and white cabbage. Served with bread and dumplings, which I left. Passed a Subway on way back to new hotel. I didn’t see their salad bowl sign until I was leaving, so bought a 6ins Italian BMT with some salad. Back at the hotel I ate the meat and salad, but left the bread.

Thursday. Lunch same as yesterday. Had booked an early evening concert, so it was Subway again (price & convenience). But today I bought a salad bowl, eating the meat & some of the salad.

Friday. Breakfast at the hotel, then transfer to the airport. Landed back at Manchester and just wanted to get home so didn’t stop to buy any food. Had to change trains at Huddersfield, and needed something to eat. Best choice was to buy a sandwich (BLT). So I ate the B and some T, throwing the rest away. That kept me going until I got home. I’d made sure to leave food in the fridge for when I got home, so that was ok.

Weighed today. 3 pounds on from last Saturday, 2 pounds on from Monday when I travelled. Bad

Blood last night 5.2. Fasting blood today 5.4. So not bad.

Although I kept low carb, I should have paid more attention to portion sizes. But at least I didn’t go for the ice cream or desserts. In the past if would have been ice cream or other street food, especially while I was trying to sort out the hassle. So I suppose I didn’t do too badly. And I did do lots more walking than usual ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Today I’m back on 800 calories until 25th April when I go on a 4-day residential conference.

• posted by MaryR
    on

Well done captainlynne, it sounds like you did everything right! I’ll bet those 2-3 extra pounds just melt away in a matter of days, and may well kick start a better drop over than the next week than it might have been if you’d been home!
    MaryR

• posted by Janet1973
    on

I always said I wouldn’t mind putting on weight on holiday if only I could lose it again just as quickly afterwards. Of course, that was in the WW days when it would take me months to lose what I put on in a two week holiday – if at all. This is where the bsd is different. It helps you limit the damage while you are away and you know those two pounds will be gone within a week. I think your residential will be easier as you will be in the same place every day and can probably get the caterers to give you extra of anything you need. You will also be able to keep your water consumption up. All the best for this week.

• posted by Shadow2
    on

Thats brilliant captainlynne, you did really well with the food, I am sure you will soon get the weight off. Worth it any way, does you good to get away.

• posted by Scotgran
    on

Well done on low carb while on holiday!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks everyone. Feeling a bit down today because I’m tired and the start of the holiday was a disaster so I was stressed out until it got sorted. I decided the best thing to do was to control what I could, and that was what I ate. Ok, portion control was out but it could have been so much worse. And would have been in the old pre-BSD days.

Janet 1973. The advantage of the residential is that we go to the same hotel every year, so I have a good idea what the food will be. Don’t usually get much exercise there, so will have to make an effort on that.

Breakfast is a serve yourself, so I’ll just head straight for the cooked breakfast and avoid the cereals, juice and toast. Lunch is again serve yourself, with lots of choice of cooked meats and salads. Also a cooked option, but rarely have that anyway. Again, avoid bread roll and desserts.

Dinner – have to select from the menu at breakfast (on arrival first day). Three courses. Starter often melon or pรขtรฉ or similar. Main often fish or chicken with various veg (will avoid potatoes). Dessert will need to be avoided. Even the cheese board is huge, with lots of crackers and grapes. It would be my best option if I thought nobody would notice me slipping cheese into my serviette for later LOL.

Seriously, just make best choices I can. Again, I need to watch portion sizes!!!

Hope the weather is fine so I can get some walking in, at either end of the day or in the free afternoon (last year it snowed!)

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just reporting that the excess baggage (3 pounds) has disappeared and my weight has returned to what it was last Saturday before my holiday. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Never disappeared so quickly before!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Now that’s what I call a diet!

• posted by Time4Change
    on

Aww sorry to hear the holiday had some bumps but brilliant that you didn’t have a gain (only temporary one by the looks of it) I’m off to the U.S. for 4 days from Wednesday and I’m a bit concerned about how I’ll manage. My plan would be to pretty much do as you did. I’m quite used to no bread/potatoes/pasta or rice now that it would be really hard to eat them now. My only failing would be the desire for an American pizza…oh boy, I’m going to have to be on my guard aren’t I๐Ÿ˜ฌ I’m bring my gym gear/swim suit and plan to keep super active, charge up the Fitbit and walk walk walk. Won’t weigh in for a couple of days after I return, I always find travelling mucks up my body so no point upsetting myself too unnecessarily. Thanks for sharing, gives me great hope that a holiday doesn’t have to screw up the success of the last 4 weeks – that’ll be a change for me, I was the same as you, taking months to undo damage caused by food/drink. Not this time!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Time4Change. Where are you going in the US? I usually stay with friends in Texas, but we have done lots of trips together. I love NYC. When I was there late 2001 nobody could believe how far I walked – fuelled in those days with hot dogs!!!!!!

Probably one of the hardest things for me to do this last week was to either leave food on the plate (the bread & dumplings that came with the duck and cabbage) or to throw it away (the bread from Subway and on the sandwich at the station). All those years of being told not to waste food – and I’ve paid for it. But I had to think of how far I’ve come on this, and not want to undo any of it.

Hopefully you’ll be staying somewhere that provides some protein for breakfast, rather than wall to wall carbs like many places I’ve stayed over there. I found other meals easier most of the time (except one town where just about everything came deep-fried ๐Ÿ˜ฑ).

Sounds like you have a good plan. Enjoy your trip and I look forward to reading about it when you get back.

• posted by Time4Change
    on

Off to Chicago, staying in apartments so I’ll have cooking facilities if I get desperate, but mainly planning on eggs as breakfasts which should be easy there and meat for the rest of my meals (feel like I’m turning into a cave woman)
    Love nyc too but had been 5 times so fancied a change. Starting to get excited, delighted I’ve shifted nearly 10 pound before going. I’ll report back on my adventures ๐Ÿ˜‰

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Oohh. Chicago. Been there ๐Ÿ˜Š Good plan to stay in apartment! I know what you mean about turning into a cave woman LOL.

Well done on your 10 pounds. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and your continued progress. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Please log in or register to post a reply.