Carbs and Starchy Veggie lover

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by WildlifeJacks
    on

Hi, Just starting gradually on BSD. Aiming to keep below 1000 cals. plus have starting down the gym & doing Yoga. I need energy in the morning and cereals hit the spot for me. Porridge Oats in particular. Trying to reduce below 40g raw weight but how much is ‘low carbs’? Also I like potato occasionally and but will find it hard to give up all the starchy veg, like parsnips, beetroot, butternut squash. Surely it is a balance on these of not too often and not too much rather than give up. And what about buckwheat pasta is this on the list of allowed foods or not? All pasta is refined what ever the flour source; couscous too is refined. Do I look up the GI of each food; or the carb content on the packet or even the carb which is sugars on the packet? How do I make good choices? I don’t eat meat so I have lots of challenges ahead.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there WildlifeJacks, technically this diet cuts out ALL starchy white carbs but that is for good glucose control especially for diabetics. I also think that when some people are just trying to lose weight (not diabetic) if they cut out the carbs they lose the cravings and in the long term learn to live without them. Having said that, you are not diabetic and just want to lose weight so my advice would be to cut down on carbs but cut out the white starch like sugar, potato, rice, pasta, pastry and cereal – oh and any processed foods. This doesn’t mean you cant have some of the “still carbs but not so bad” carbs like oats, beetroot, butternut squash. I would suggest that you keep them to a minium and for the oats, cut down to 30 grams and serve with some berries and full fat yoghurt which will keep you full or ring the changes and have poached egg with grilled mushrooms or half an avocado. Stay away from any pasta or couscous and use alternatives like beans, lentils or chickpeas. If you must eat the bad carbs then keep it to a once a week treat.

Good luck and keep posting.

• posted by WildlifeJacks
    on

Hi Sunshine-girl, Thanks for your post. Its not a problem for me to cut out white rice, pasta, nor any type of bread or any bread products as don’t like how they make me feel after eating them. I am lucky also that I don’t carve chocolate or sugar puddings, and I enjoy home cooking so avoid ready made meals and lots of processed food. Thing is that as I don’t eat meat or poultry and I minimise the amount of dairy, eggs and fish/seafood as not completely happy with consuming animal products (due to animal welfare reasons), I am dependent on grains and legumes & nuts for my protein (tofu and Quorn are I feel processed food too). I have for a while been changing my diet following reading the book ‘How Not to Die’ by Dr Michael Gregor and so I eat lots of veggies, a couple of fruit, a portion of nuts and seeds etc. I am not diabetic so need to think more on how to change my diet to achieve nutritional needs as well as avoid blood sugar spikes to maximise health and look after my insides!. Portion sizes also I believe will be key in my weight lost journey. I see on the Diet Doctor website that Low to Moderate Carb intake is considered to be 20-50g a day; with Liberal being 50-100g a day. I believe here in the UK the recommended intake is 230g, which is obviously high for lots of people.
    Picked up at the library today ‘Fast Exercise’ by Dr MM.
    Feeling very positive that over the next 12 week I am going to become a new women!
    Happy Health to you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.