Bulgur wheat and cornflour

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’ve just bought the recipe book and am surprised both bulgur wheat and conflour are used – I thought they were both high carb?

If bulgur wheat isn’t too bad, would it make a good alternative to rice?

I was also surprised that flatbreads using gram flour (chick pea flour) are in the ‘have very occasionally’ category as I thought that stuff was OK. I have something made with that (usually onion bhajis) once or twice a week. Is that overdoing it?

(I’m maintaining my weight, not trying to lose more and I believe my bloog sugar level is fine.)

• posted by alliecat
    on

Th1s supr1ses me too, Squ1dge! Accord1ng to fatsecret (US) 1 c. of cooked bulgar wheat 1s 25.6g of carbs…You
    have done fantast1cally well los1ng your we1ght AND ma1nta1n1ng. Why change anyth1ng? All that 1 can surm1se
    1s that 1t must be a t1ny port1on? xxx

• posted by Squidge
    on

I like trying different things, Allie – that’s why I was considering the bulgur wheat. Plus my husband is very fond of rice and doesn’t want to give it up. That’s not a problem if he has it as a side dish as I can just not have it, or have salad instead. It does mean there are some dishes we don’t have now though, such as paella, so I’d be happy to find a good substute. (Neither of us like cauliflower.)

The recipe was for risotto, which is something we used to like but don’t eat now because of the rice. It suggests 30g per person (uncooked) and says the whole dish will have 35g of carbs. That is quite high, isn’t it? I’m guessing rice would be hugher still though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.