Buddy for starting 800cals diet from 13/02/2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Not giving up this time
    on

Hi, I am hoping to start the 800 (600 + 200) diet for my tomorrow. Have bought optifast shakes and intend to go cold turkey from tomorrow.. Have 20 kilos plus to lose. Was wondering if anyone wants starting around same time so we can keep each other motivated? Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Sorry to make a point here so early in your plans to lose weight but there are no shakes on this diet, just the homemade ones like the spinach and raspberry with almond milk shake or the blueberry, yoghurt and green tea. Most commercial food replacement shakes contain low quality proteins, sugars and chemicals so don’t really fit into this plan.

I hope you find someone to join you, as that was the point of your post and good luck with your weight loss. If you need any help or advice you can ask questions in the search box (top of page) or just post.

• posted by Rach50
    on

Hi I’m planning to start tommorrow..
    good luck!

• posted by LainieUK
    on

I’m restarting tomorrow! Good luck and shakes were used in the original Dr Roy Taylor study upon which MM based this diet. So if shakes work for you then go for it! Here’s to a successful 8 weeks!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Quite a few people have started with shakes like the original study and then quickly progressed to a more BSD real food plan after a few weeks. I personally hate most meal replacement shakes so never really considered it.

• posted by manyana
    on

I am starting tomorrow also. I have done Atkins and the 5-2 diet but sugar is my biggest problem particularly in chocolate. I have only came across thE BSD today so having read some of the info I am pretty well sure this would be good for me. I have not ordered the book as yet but will, sometime in the future, financially it is not viable at the moment considering I have practically a library full of healthy diet books. Love mediteranean food but must watch portion sizes. If you would be happy to travel the road with me for a buddy, it might just work.
    I am 67 yrs old and have 2st. to lose. I enjoy aquarobics, swimming and linedancing confessing that these have been introduced only recently, I do ..Hate… the gym.

• posted by grannysharon
    on

Hi not giving up,
    I started last Monday and am looking forward to weigh day tomorrow. I too have had a few shakes to get me started, I tend to have one at lunch time, I have yogurt and a few nuts for breakfast my main meal is normally chicken, fish or minced with veg l have about 8 stone to lose so am in this for the long run. I too could do with a buddy to keep me motivated.
    Good luck and hope we all do well next week. All the best Sharon

• posted by Evan165
    on

I am in let’s start and get it done!

on

Thanks everyone for your kind responses. To be honest, I do really hate meal replacement stuff, but I am kind of desperate here. I am only 35, 2 young kids, husband and I both work full time and no family to support as such. BTW.. I am from Australia. Bought optifast so at least I have some structure to start with my weight loss… once I lose the initial 10-15 kilos… I would be sticking to real food and in line with the BSD diet. I am really looking for motivation and support during these times. I had gestational diabetes during both my pregnancies and now my blood sugar seems to be on the higher end. I really really want to reverse this and restart my life.
    P.s – I have been an emotional/ binge eater and a sugar addict.
    Looking forward to turning my life around ..

• posted by Salma1985
    on

I am restarting today! Fell off wagon in a big way due to having no will power over siblings birthdays, winery tours etc. But I’m back baby! Day 1 and 2 boiled eggs for breakky down..here I am!!!!

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hi guys,
    I had a few experimental meals last week, but am keen to start properly tomorrow. Buddying up with some other enthusiastic newbies would be fabulous for me!
    I am going to have my usual porridge for breakfast though. I hate eggs and will need to do some research on non-white-carb-y breakfasts to see what else is available…
    Good luck and happy eating to you all!
    (PS I am in Glasgow, UK.)
    xx

• posted by Keepongoing
    on

Have been following this WOE since beginning of Feb but have fallen off the rails over the weekend so am hoping that posting on here will give me the motivation to get straight back on.

• posted by alphonso mango
    on

Hi, I have started 800 cal diet around 28th Jan. I have lost around 3 Kg weight in 2 and bit weeks. I do not use any artificial shakes or mixes. I calculate every calorie I take in and aim to stay v close to 800 cal per day. Some days it goes a little higher. If I feel like having a very occasional drink on weekend, I take a vodka with slimline tonic rather than a pint… but have been largely off c2h5oh.
    AFter a first few days I have settled in a rhythm now and not many hunger pangs but have to really really really be disciplined about counting calories in everything… including a polomint… I have 4 Kg more to lose to get to my target weight

on

Let’s motivate each other to reach our respective goals. Let’s do it .. once and for all…

Intending to buy the book in my lunch break today..
    Day 1 for me, no tea, no coffee, no sugar and no high carbs. Headaches are starting to kick in. On my third bottle of water now…
    P.s I am a vegetarian.

• posted by Evan165
    on

Hi Not giving up this time just my opinion but going cold turkey on caffeine as well as reducing the calories may be more pain than you want to take on at once This is my second go round with this diet I had great success but put a few pounds back on due to a surgery over the summer. I have been pretty inactive and kind of depressed so have been eating more than I should have for maintenance. I would say the thing that got me through my first eight weeks on the diet was a coffee in the morning and several espressos throughout the day. Really their are many health benefits to coffee I just stay away from lattes cappuccinos and other mainly milk based drinks. Best of luck

• posted by Salma1985
    on

Tuna, broccoli, diet jelly for lunch.
    I need to ensure I get it more exciting than this or I shall definitely fall off the wagon ha ha.
    At least there’s roast chicken for dinner 😀 😀

on

The problem with me is that I have sugar and milk in all my teas and coffees.. just make some realise how much sugar and carb dependant my life has been.

• posted by Jenni from the Block
    on

Hi Not giving up this time, The Optifast sachets are used by Doctors in Australia treating severe obesity for quick results while still getting solid nutrition and includes having some vegetables once a day. It is a good way of getting started in your circumstances. Stay focused on introducing real food in a week or two. Many of us use Optifast as a meal when pushed for time. Good luck with your journey.

• posted by manyana
    on

Just wondering how things going for all you first dayers. I am thinking up tasty meals to make this a pleasant experience. I am also photographing the meal to keep on record. What I didn’t do was add up the calories. I wouldn’t say I have had that many, but 800calls won’t amount to much food . considering I eat like I worked on a building site. Have done my aquarobics and walked the dog. Now I must get the ironing out of the way. Evening will be hardest

• posted by Evan165
    on

Love the idea of taking photos thanks! I keep 8 coins in my left pocket and move them over to my right pocket as I eat throughout the day. 1 coin = 100 calories when the food bank account is empty it is time to stop eating.

• posted by manyana
    on

the coins are a good idea…. My friend brought me this little phrase. I am putting it on my fridge
    “Most people fail
    rather than succeed
    because they give up
    what they want most
    for what they want at the moment”

on

Survived day 1 …
    Having severe headache , had it almost since mid of day 1.
    Day 2 today… hopefully will get better.
    How was the day for others who started around the same time.

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi NGUTT. Have you taken painkillers? No reason not to. Also keep fluid intake up. You could try a salty drink, I used marmite in hot water, or soup would work, even just a pinch of salt direct would do. Because if you are drinking plenty of water (as you should be) you can be washing the salts from your body which can also cause headaches quite apart from the carb flu although I think it may be a bit soon for that but we’re all different so could be that too.

• posted by manyana
    on

Had the same reaction this afternoon , dull headache , lay down for a while and tried relaxation as I was getting uptight about it. A cup of coffee helped and a walk for about 15 mins. Bitterly cold here so it was quite a feat…..I might even have had the heating up to high.
    A case of what works for us individuals ……. as long as we keep going.

• posted by 8wbsdieter
    on

I started today too and glad to see a merry little gang in the same boat here! I found today ok, food-wise. I went back to the gym tonight too (my body is probably hating me with the shock of it!!!) but only managed 15 mins of running as I got a terrible headache. I drank 2l of water, but maybe not enough. Feeling ok now though, and looking forward to a big sleep! NGUTT, I hope your head is feeling a little better. Well done, manyana, on heading out for a walk to clear yours!

Looking forward to hearing about everyone’s successes over the next weeks!

• posted by Salma1985
    on

How’s everyone going today?
    I felt really headachey upon waking but it seems to have subsided..I was craving salt big time so actually ate about 1/4 teaspoon of vegemite – weirdly it seems to have helped dramatically..1.5 litres of water down..600 calories to go for the day 🙂

• posted by manyana
    on

Hello All ,
    Today I am struggling …………I went to low on callories yesterday, allthough I was not hungry, it gave me a bad night and I felt quite unwell, so today I am tired and just craving food . I have had my limmit in callores allready……fill up on veg for the rest of today and see what tomorrow brings. Selfcontrol will be my mantra from now until bedtime . Hoping you have kept on top of things.

on

I would just say.. hang in there… I am having terrible headaches inspite of drinking lots fI water and a few painkillers. It’s day 3 for me.. woke up at 5am and headache’s still there.
    I guess we just push through these initial few days of testing times and hopefully feel better in a day or two.

• posted by grannysharon
    on

Hi all,
    I am on day 8 I too had bad headaches last week on day 2 & 3. Lots of people have said that they had headache in the first week, keep going it does get better. Keep up your water intake and maybe increase your salt.
    Good luck all keep at it works!!!
    All the best Sharon

• posted by s2srea
    on

Hey Not Giving Up, et al. I started the 13th as well. I’m on day two here still (I’m in the states). Making it through okay so far. This morning was tough, but I’m much better after lunch. I’d say make sure you’re getting good fats (I had an avocado half for lunch with some bone broth) to facilitate your body’s transition into fat burning mode. I’d second the salt intake as well. That may help with the headache as well.

• posted by Salma1985
    on

I hope everyone is feeling okay today. I haven’t had breakky..it’s 12:30pm..not hungry but feeling a bit crappy and wondering if some food might pep me up at bit!

on

Day 3 seems to be better. It’s past 2pm here and my headache has settled a bit.

Wanted to ask if we are ok to have limited amounts of lentils on this diet, like cooked dal-? I am an Indian vegetarian and I am really struggling with options other than salads. Any advice would be helpful.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Lentils are fine, but be really careful with your portion sizes as they are quite carby. If you are at the 50g mark on carbs it is possible, but any lower would be difficult.

• posted by Evan165
    on

While lentils are high carb they are not the junk carbs we really need to completely eliminate such as sugars and white flour. At 800 calories it seems hard to imagine it being possible to overeat in the carb department. In the original study done with shakes people had success and there is a lot of bad stuff in those shakes. In eight weeks when you are looking fantastic and on increased calories in a maintenance phase the counting of carbs would seem more important.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Actually, I find it very possible to overeat in the carb department on 800 cals. If like me you try to come in at 25g carbs per day, it can be quite challenging. There are carbs hiding in almost all foods and when you start adding them up, it is surprising how they mount. For this reason I personally only rarely have lentils these days and in very, small portions when I do. Correct, lentil don’t contain the simple carbs we are trying to banish, but they still contain carbs and even these have to be counted.

With being veggie, I’m guessing you are looking for ways of accessing protein, so perhaps use tofu, paneer and if you eat them, eggs too. Hope you manage to find a way to make it work for you.

on

Day 4 today.. feeling much better. Just a little light headed… Not feeling hungry. Had omelette for breakfast… feeling lighter… How is everyone else going?

• posted by Salma1985
    on

Day 4. Also feeling much better. Feeling really full but was craving salt so ate some nobbys pork crackle which stupidly brought me up to 500 cals for the day. Just got dinner to go but should be able to do that easily for 300 calories..at least the nobbys stuff has no carbs..still not ideal. Naughty!
    How’s everyone else travelling?

• posted by manyana
    on

Unfortunately I have had to drop the intensive 800cal. diet as my health is not up to it . I have been advised to just do the fit for life if I want to lose a few pounds. Wishing you all the best on your journey and will have a check in to see how you are all doing in the days ahead.

on

Sorry to hear that Manyana, but please do what’s best for you. All the best for your future endeavours.

on

Day 6 today.. this is the longest I have been without any sugar/hi carbs. Going well.. Headaches have settled. Not feeling hungry all the time. Howz everyone else doing? Any positive results as such?

on

Day 11 today, still going strong. Headaches are not there anymore, feel more energised. Lost approx 5 kgs since since start of the program as doing some exercise as well.

How Is everyone else going?

• posted by 8wbsdieter
    on

Wow, that’s brilliant NGUTT. Well done! I lost 7lbs (3.2kg) in the first week and, frustratingly, haven’t lost anything over last 4 days! Hoping it is going to disappear in a big drop!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.