Breakfast ideas

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Meandfudge
    on

It’s day 1
    I tried the blueberry and green tea shake it wasn’t for me so I’m looking for some breakfast ideas for tomorrow.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

If you’re looking for something quick, how about some full fat yogurt with berries, nuts and/or seeds? If you have more time in which to cook and eat – a small omelette with cheese or a portabello mushroom roasted and topped with an egg. Eggs are an excellent option and you can make little crustless quiches and pop them in the fridge to use later, if time is an issue. Hopefully others will be along with some other ideas for you.

• posted by Natalie
    on

I struggle with finding good quick breakfasts too, I get sick of eggs very quickly. In warmer weather I enjoy yoghurt, on cooler days it seems cold and slimy and unappetising!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi! I have also overdone the egg brekkie thing at times . . . so here are some ideas for quick breakfasts without eggs which may help! This mornings offering was 1) some minced steak – (ground beef if youre not an Aussie!) – spread in frying pan, added a little flavoured spices salt etc whatever you fancy on the day! moved around until done, then scraped all the good brown crunchy bits off the pan, tossed some baby spinach on top and barely sweated it . . . because the cool and hot combo was different!!! popped in a bowl with fetta cubes and a drizzle of the marinating oil it comes in – was delicious! 2). Another one which is quick: Mushrooms and bacon chopped, and/or roughly cut shallots – (spring onion) – butter knob to start and at the end add a little coconut cream for the sauce . . . yummm. I sometimes add one slice of the 2.5gram per slice loaf – toasted TWICE for the crunch I seem to still sometimes crave!! 3) Portobello mushrooms with finely chopped tomato, onion and basil . . grilled and add drizzle of oil either before or after cooking . . . and quickly wave the bottle of balsamic vinegar over them when cooked ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope these help. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bindy
    on

Hi I am newish. What is the 2.5gm bread please ? Thank you

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Bindy! Unsure where you are located but Im south of Sydney in NSW. I shop mainly at Aldi and the bread is a small – like half loaf size – in a clear plastic bag with a disc on the front declaring 85% less carb. It is $4.99 from memory and have been told they dont get many and it goes fast ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have luck getting it! It is VERY nice!

• posted by Bindy
    on

Thank you I am based in the Isle of Man (British Isles) No wonder i hadn’t heard of it. I will just have to continue making my own from Fibreflour (lonjevity.com). Its ok but very dense.

• posted by alliecat
    on

WoodDuckie, I just love your creativity in the kitchen! I’m sure that treating yourself well will make this
    WOL very sustainable for you ๐Ÿ™‚
    Best,
    Allie

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

AWWW . . . Thank you so much for the compliment Allie! I seem to be dragging my feet a little in some ways this week . . . almost like parts of me are saying . . . “oh not again!” and yet others are screaming “YES LETS KEEPING DOING THIS COS LOOK AT THE RESULTS!!!” Yesterday, I was on my way home from shopping when had an invitation for a coffee call came from a neighbour – (Im semi rural and this one is 4klms away from my gate!) – who’s hubby (with no sugar issues) – is in a not so nice place physically, emotionally and mentally. They have seen me depressed and ill with the diabetic meds – and now 10-12 weeks later – the new me. Hubby agreed with wifey, maybe I could help him get back on track. Well 3 hours later! he had scribbled a shopping list, reference notes, seemed to have a more positive smile . . . and gave me hug I wont forget. With what he shared, I’m having a little bet he has a sugar addiction. Normally a very plain “British eater”, married to a “Maltese-style” one, all the “different” foods he had suggested as alternatives were a little confronting but he generously agreed he has come to the point he has to do something to better his position. We came to discover a few easy alternatives he could at least enjoy . . . and after a few . . . well lets say . . . suggesting moments that wifey be a little more patient, accept he has asked for help from medicos and me . . . and not take his present state personally . . . try to understand his unrest and inability to face/do any more than he is currently able . . . that they get on board together . . . so he doesnt feel isolated in his quest to regain control of his life ๐Ÿ™‚ Someone here gave me the hint of Pork Krackle snack “chips”. I left them with a promise he would begin his CHANGE – new way of eating – by replacing his go to potato crisps “after dinner snack” in front of the TV, and gave him a pack to try when/if he got his after-dinner munchies. After arriving home and unpacking my car, I quickly tossed some ingredients in the frying pan which LIVES on my stove top now!!! then sent a photo of “plated-up” bacon and cashews stirfry dinner bowl! The return one-word-message was a simple – “YUMMIE!!!”

• posted by alliecat
    on

This is a wonderful and inspiring story, WoodDuckie. This is how we make a difference, one person at a time!
    I hope that your neighbor is open to “mentoring”, regardless of what wifey conveys to him. We just never
    know how the least bit of empathy and compassion can make a difference in someone’s life. I love your
    spirit, for I live on passion, too! You’re a star ๐Ÿ™‚

Allie

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi again Bindy! I went online searching for info re the Aldi bread. Someone else said they were having dfficulty sourcing breads and another shared this link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca…-85-lower-carb-higher-protein-bread-544259962 Maybe this is info closer to home ๐Ÿ™‚
    Good luck!

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Thank you so much for the compliment Allie ๐Ÿ™‚ I had another opportunity to speak with the gentleman’s wife this morning . . . just alone . . . Given her complaining and beration of his disinterest in many things . . . I offered some solaces for her to consider – (hoping she could maybe understand her hubby is a man, not a woman and doesnt have her interest – bordering on obsession – with an immaculate “house”- but he has other interests so let him enjoy them! At least he was out of the house helpig out at the train museum today and not moping!!) I gently suggested considering how we all excel at what we LIKE or are interested in! earlier in the year, his volunteer work at a Community Pantry – (inexpensive groceries, milk, bread, fruit and vege rejected by supermarkets and being repurposed!) – saw him blossom . . . but injury forced him to abandon that for a few months. She wasnt happy with him devoting “too much time” to the organisation and not enough here and to her!!! Now he isnt doing anything SHE likes . . .(my mind wandered off to Contrary Mary ๐Ÿ™‚ However this lovely lady IS on board with the new food approach – and appreciated me sharing my breakfast pic and text msg. – bacon and mushrooms in garlic cream with one slice of 2.5grm carb bread ๐Ÿ™‚ . . . I do hope she can see she is needed . . . and quit issuing ultimatums which are adding to the gentleman’s dilemma ๐Ÿ™ Starting around the clock again this week like I said . . . LOADS to do preparing for a short trip away touring and catching up with family and friends – a few days here a few days there . . . a drop off of goodwill hamper to friends suffering in so many ways during the current drought . . . then a few days with my feet up a sister-in-laws before home. My resolve to keep on track with MANY and varied places Ill be eating will be fun ๐Ÿ™‚ Enjoy your break ๐Ÿ™‚

PS: Frgot to mention “compliments” and raving comments from two ladies at the local pharmacy who havent seen me for weeks. One went immediately to the computer to look up the 8 week BSD book and is determined to have a go! Amazing who we touch, impress, inspire and encourage . . . and in the strangest of ways and places!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.